Memorial Day

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Friday I took a ride on my bike, a 250 mile round trip, to place flags and flowers on the family plot where I grew up. It was unplanned but I met my cousin and his neighbor at the cemetery. My cousin and I have been good friends with his neighbor for many years. After paying our respects, we talked briefly about setting a date to get together to cut down and haul out 20+ cords of wood like we have been doing for years. It was three o'clock and all being pressed for time, we said good by and would discuss the date over the phone later. Nine o'clock last night I got a call from my cousin to let me know that his neighbor, Jim, had passed away just before dinner. He got up from the living room and made it half way to the table and collapsed onto the floor having a massive hart attach and died in minutes. He was a Vietnam Vet and had the physical and emotional scars to prove it.

This long winded post is to remind everyone to cherish your family and friends because you never know when the last time you will see them will be. Also, this is Memorial Day weekend. It is a time to remember those that have gone before you. A time to remember and thank those that have given all so we can live free.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My wife just read this to me today. We visited the burial place of our friend and neighbor yesterday.

COINS LEFT ON TOMBSTONES

While visiting some cemeteries you may notice that headstones marking certain graves have coins on them, left by previous visitors to the grave.

These coins have distinct meanings when left on the headstones of those who gave their life while serving in America's military, and these meanings vary depending on the denomination of coin.

A coin left on a headstone or at the grave site is meant as a message to the deceased soldier's family that someone else has visited the grave to pay respect. Leaving a penny at the grave means simply that you visited.

A nickel indicates that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together, while a dime means you served with him in some capacity. By leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the soldier when he was killed.

According to tradition, the money left at graves in national cemeteries and state veterans cemeteries is eventually collected, and the funds are put toward maintaining the cemetery or paying burial costs for indigent veterans.

In the US, this practice became common during the Vietnam war, due to the political divide in the country over the war; leaving a coin was seen as a more practical way to communicate that you had visited the grave than contacting the soldier's family, which could devolve into an uncomfortable argument over politics relating to the war.

Some Vietnam veterans would leave coins as a "down payment" to buy their fallen comrades a beer or play a hand of cards when they would finally be reunited.

The tradition of leaving coins on the headstones of military men and women can be traced to as far back as the Roman Empire.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I never heard that before,,
Thank you

But then I have never been to a Veterans cemetery.
And I cant bring my self to walk along the Wall either.
I know its silly, but some how I dont feel worthy to be in their company.