Meet the Scorpion...

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Inflict 10,000+ lbs of mayhem and destruction with The SCORPION! Maximum carnage!

1" thick tooth AR400 ripper weighs only 125 lbs. Takes out a 24" diameter ash tree stump with ease. The forked tooth on the end is to make yanking small invasive trees out of the gardens easier. My wife said this ripper looks like a scorpion tail...

Attachments

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Inflict 10,000+ lbs of mayhem and destruction with The SCORPION! Maximum carnage!

1" thick tooth AR400 ripper weighs only 125 lbs. Takes out a 24" diameter ash tree stump with ease. The forked tooth on the end is to make yanking small invasive trees out of the gardens easier. My wife said this ripper looks like a scorpion tail...
Very nice
What process are you using to cut 1" plate and do you generate the flat work drawings yourself?

Dan

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That'll scare the crap outa any stump!! Outstanding!! (y)(y)(y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

The first photo made me think you'd built a wicked garden gnome or something ... I wasn't sure what was going on but it felt like Christmas was coming. Nice work!

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Nice work. That looks commercial, but better. You do nice work. And the tool looks like it works well.

I suspect you could sell these…you’ve already got the tag line.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Very, Very cool man, and nice job fabing it up. (y)

Have you considered sharpening the serrations?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Very, Very cool man, and nice job fabing it up. (y)

Have you considered sharpening the serrations?
I did consider it - the part edges are razor sharp as cut. I figured I could grind points later. The square edge did a pretty good job shredding the ash roots. One of the roots was about 10" diameter and too much for the BH to try and break.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i think i need to modify my everthing attachments one.... that looks like a beast of a ripper!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
As usual you make some mighty fine stuff. Wicked job!

like your design. Stays upright by itself, holes for attachment. 20” ash stumps don’t come out easy in my clay soil. Tooth or shank serrations cuts bigger roots better? Agree the square shank edge doses pretty good breaking roots with enough power.

Finding the ripper tooth to be a valuable attachment.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Just for myself. Maybe I should sell these as flat pack weld it yourself kits!?
Might have considered a kit before buying one. Shipping is a killer unless you’re big enough to contract. Like your design maybe with a replaceable tooth? Your tab and slot design helped with alignment. Good craftsmanship and attention to details over what’s available. Paying more upfront for a better tool has always been a good investment. Still heavy weldment takes skill. What’s your process for welding thick AR400?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Might have considered a kit before buying one. Shipping is a killer unless you’re big enough to contract. Like your design maybe with a replaceable tooth? Your tab and slot design helped with alignment. Good craftsmanship and attention to details over what’s available. Paying more upfront for a better tool has always been a good investment. Still heavy weldment takes skill. What’s your process for welding thick AR400?
I don't think shipping from Canada is cost effective and there is already a lot of competition out there for these kinds of items. Unfortunately guys buying these kinds of things tend to want cheap as sh*t and believe heavier looking is always better.

I do it because I like it and I can sometimes make what I want for a reasonable price. The tooth is easily replaced using a grinder and a hammer ;-) I don't expect to be going through a lot of teeth, I'm more worried about breaking something on my M59 first.

Under 1" thickness is still on the light side of "heavy" for AR400 and it is considered weldable with appropriate rod, preheat if required and time to cool down.

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
BXpanded makes a nice ripper for BX and small JD tractor backhoes. Local company tried to get them to make one for my B26. Limit of 1/2” of their proprietary cutting edge steel not strong enough for the B26 by their own admission. They did make me a special weld in Piranha toothbar for a well used skidsteer bucket.

Never have found a vendor or a B26 ripper. There is a market void space. All have been owner made. B26 TLBs are popular with rental companies. We had a B20 for 25 years before upgrading to B26. Lot of farm, forest and landscape toughness packed in a little package. A scaled down version of the Scorpion would be perfect.

You can tell Mikester spent time studying the many ripper designs out there. Incorporating the best features and adding his own experience touch to make a fine tool.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
BXpanded makes a nice ripper for BX and small JD tractor backhoes. Local company tried to get them to make one for my B26. Limit of 1/2” of their proprietary cutting edge steel not strong enough for the B26 by their own admission. They did make me a special weld in Piranha toothbar for a well used skidsteer bucket.

Never have found a vendor or a B26 ripper. There is a market void space. All have been owner made. B26 TLBs are popular with rental companies. We had a B20 for 25 years before upgrading to B26. Lot of farm, forest and landscape toughness packed in a little package. A scaled down version of the Scorpion would be perfect.

You can tell Mikester spent time studying the many ripper designs out there. Incorporating the best features and adding his own experience touch to make a fine tool.
The hardest part is getting all the dimensions and profiles correct on the ears and bucket. I wonder if the B26 has different ears in the US and Canada like the M59.

Another interesting aside is I'm able to pull and install T-posts with the thumb and forked tooth - no more chains - just drive up, grab and lift. Driving the posts is a little trickier one person. I was thinking of adding a large magnet and a cup to secure the top of the T-bar from slipping. The magnet would make it easier to quickly hold the T-post for positioning.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Push in T post with loader we use a piece of metal conduit slipped over the post. Pushes them down to the same height and prevent bowing/bending of the post if you hit a rock or root. Easy with two people. Haven’t figured out a handy one person technique or tool.

Last edited: