Mechanical Thumbs and Ripper Tooth

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
Have been reading another forum, and was wondering if anyone has compared the Bro-Tec mechanical thumb to the Kubota one? Any dis/advantages to each? I'm also in the market for a ripper tooth (stump work), and wondering if there are any other ripper tooth manufacturers out there for the BH77 backhoe? I see lots of cool stuff for the BX line....

Thanks for any quick responses. I need to make a decision within the next few days to complete my order for a B2650.

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
I've got the Bro-tek thumb, no big issues, but I wish the bottom hinge would have been more robust. It uses a lynch pin, which should have been made a little heavier. Otherwise, it definitely does the job. Would have preferred a hydraulic version, but too $$.

For a ripper tooth, I took one of the scarifier teeth off of my box blade and bolted it to the side of my BH bucket. Works great! Only cost me two sets of nuts, bolts and washers.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have no dealings with Bro-tek but have used a Kubota trackhoe with factory thumb. It worked great and was very well built. I moved some stumps that surprised me when the machine even picked them up to begin with. From my own experience I would suggest the hyd thumb though. I know it's more $$ but it really makes it more useful in every situation.

Pappy

May 13, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I can't help you with the thumb, but I have the Bro-tek ripper tooth on my BX-23 backhoe and it has been invaluable. Couldn't live without it. And it appears to be indestructible.

I think Michigan Iron and Equipment makes one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcuster

Equipment
B2650 w/ cab, FEL, BH, 63" snowblower w/ extensions, grapple, forks, box blade
Jul 10, 2015
State College, PA
I ended up ordering the Kubota mechanical thumb, and the Bro-Tek ripper tooth and trencher combo. Hyd thumb would have been nice, but I don't think they make one for the BH77? and I don't have the fabricator skills to convert it over to a hydro.

Thanks all for the replies!

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Post some pics when you get it set up, if possible. Let us know how well it all goes together and works .