Maybe Kubota this time?

PowhatanPete

Mar 27, 2013
Powhatan, Virginia, USA
I'm a long time IH 1086 guy, mostly bush hogging 100 acres, now converting to small grain organic operation. Will continue to use the 1086 (135hp) for large jobs like ripping and heavy disking, but need a smaller tractor for the seed drill and an old Allis Chalmers All Crop harvester, and frequent row crop cultivating (organic soybeans, barley, etc).
Am looking at a number of Kubota options, would like to pick an economical option with respect to fuel consumption, but want enough power to disk and cultivate at good speed. Currently evaluating the 5100HST, 5140, 7040 and 8560. All 4WD, ROPS models with loaders.
Any real world experience with organic row cropping using any of these machines that you could share would be greatly appreciated. My dealer is quite knowledgable about the tractors after 40 years but there aren't many row crop farmers around to give him practical experience he can share. Lots of lawn mowers and hay balers around, not many dirt farmers left :)
Thanks!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I cant help you much there Pete but theres guys in here that make a living from farming so Im sure you might get your answer,, Welcome and I have to say I ran the gambit in tractors just like bikes,, just wish I would have brought the orange beast first. Size it right and you wont go wrong ,,and Welcome to the Orange and DO NOT BE A STRANGER:D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome, PowhatanPete! There are a number of VA boys on here, and Eric McCarthy is right there in Richmond.
I'm driving to your neck of the woods tomorrow, to pick up a pony in Chesterfield, for a friend.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well hey neighbor, I am indeed just down the road in Henrico. I know with Davis-Merchant being in your back yard maybe take a ride over to Cavalier Internation and take a stroll around their lot at Kubotas. I know alot of the equipment they sell is to the dirt working crowd of farmers.

But I would think with you being a Case IH guy you should already know all about Cavalier Intl.