Manuals and such

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A completely separate Topic Section should be created by the moderator(s) in which the books, manuals, reference materials are. posted for download by participants…..instead of sending them elsewhere for that support.

I moderate a Forum on a particular aircraft model and, for supporting Members, we have a resource Library where documents and service bulletins can be downloaded. It is so successful the OEM has occasonally referred owners/operators who are not participants in our Forum to us. We believe It has gained us new Members.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A completely separate Topic Section should be created by the moderator(s) in which the books, manuals, reference materials are. posted for download by participants…..instead of sending them elsewhere for that support.

I moderate a Forum on a particular aircraft model and, for supporting Members, we have a resource Library where documents and service bulletins can be downloaded. It is so successful the OEM has occasonally referred owners/operators who are not participants in our Forum to us. We believe It has gained us new Members.
I can't create Topic sections but maybe Mr K. would do it.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Ah! Appreciate the brainstorming on how to make the site better and easier for members to use. The challenge here is that OTT doesn't own the copyright for those manuals or PDFs, Kubota does. This means we cannot host those materials directly on the site, off our servers, without their permission (which we do not have). On top of that, OTT is big enough to be known by Kubota who itself has been known to be litigious in the past. So while smaller sites might be able to get by unnoticed, it'll definitely get noticed if we do something like that here. It's also 100% within Kubota's right to exercise their copyright to keep the materials they own under their control in terms of how its distributed and how they are compensated for those materials. We do the same thing here on OTT.

It's awesome that the OEM for your aircraft model permits its copyrighted materials to be distributed on a fan-forum though. Maybe what I'll do here is throw a Hail Mary and try to contact Kubota legal department to see if we can get written permission from them to host Kubota copyrighted materials on the site here. Very doubtful but doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: 4 users

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
mr k

i would not reach out unless you want legal to go through all the links that reference manuals and possibly file dmca on them. It depends how much of a stickler they want to be. No, howting libks to other sites that carry manuals is not technically illegal but that never stops legal from filing dmca requests which become a huge hassle for you. I have experience here with similiar scenarios.
If you want to allow the links then dont draw attention to it.

Ah! Appreciate the brainstorming on how to make the site better and easier for members to use. The challenge here is that OTT doesn't own the copyright for those manuals or PDFs, Kubota does. This means we cannot host those materials directly on the site, off our servers, without their permission (which we do not have). On top of that, OTT is big enough to be known by Kubota who itself has been known to be litigious in the past. So while smaller sites might be able to get by unnoticed, it'll definitely get noticed if we do something like that here. It's also 100% within Kubota's right to exercise their copyright to keep the materials they own under their control in terms of how its distributed and how they are compensated for those materials. We do the same thing here on OTT.

It's awesome that the OEM for your aircraft model permits its copyrighted materials to be distributed on a fan-forum though. Maybe what I'll do here is throw a Hail Mary and try to contact Kubota legal department to see if we can get written permission from them to host Kubota copyrighted materials on the site here. Very doubtful but doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Mr. K -

It would be a valuable resource, but I’m doubtful the venture would gain corporate approval either.

Betting the intellectual property value is why Corporate wouldn’t approve it…..

Kind of a Hail Mary, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Appreciate you and the administration of OTT.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
> i would not reach out unless you want legal to go through all the links that reference manuals and possibly file dmca on them

Ok yah that's a good callout and would be a giant pain.

Reactions: 1 users

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Yea dont poke the bear…

> i would not reach out unless you want legal to go through all the links that reference manuals and possibly file dmca on them

Ok yah that's a good callout and would be a giant pain.