Make shift land plane

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I had 12 yards of gravel delivered for my road. I asked the driver to lay it down at a 2 inch depth. I guess he decided that an 8 plus inch depth would be better. After using my box blade to cut it down and spread it out I ended up with a lot of woopedos.
Not having a land plane I came up with this from my scrap pile. It actually worked much better than I had anticipated, with the only draw back being that its only 4 foot wide so it took several passes.
DSCN0817.JPG
DSCN0819.JPG
DSCN0820.JPG

Reactions: 8 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Looks like it did a fine job! Congrats!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Depending on the starting conditions, a "real" land plane takes several passes too.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Looks like it worked out great! (y)

Making top link longer might have avoided the bumps. Rocks box blade onto the rear blade to give it more of a smoothing aspect.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Hmmmm. Okay, now you've got me thinking.....

I'm about to rip up my driveway using my subsoiler, and re-grade it. It has not been touched in the 17 years I've been here, and probably not for many years before that, so....

Just got a Ratchet Rake and I'm expecting good things from it, but just in case..... maybe my carry-all and something like this would give a nice finish.....

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
Looks good, I drag an old gate off of my trailer it’s expanded metal and I just tie it off the back of the tractor takes several passes but it does a pretty good job of smoothing down the driveway, my driveway is around 300 yards long with a slight grade to it

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I asked the driver to lay it down at a 2 inch depth. I guess he decided that an 8 plus inch depth would be better.
You know, now that i think of it.. maybe that's not easy! I haven't actually dumped material out of a dump bed/trailer (even though i have driven a dump truck for reasons of working on it as a mechanic). There's probably a lot of technique to trying to get a 2" depth to come out the back of a dump bed.

I have a junky dump trailer with no title that was given to me (im still thrilled!) which i filled to overflowing with scrap metal and now finally about to empty out again, and maybe actually run some dirt/gravel through it.. Maybe i will learn soon just how much crap i am actually qualified to give other operators about this! 😅

On a somewhat related note, this thing is currently so cheap that I think it might be worth the cost just to use it as a 'pattern' to make a better one, or to double up the flimsy parts with your own metal.
$59 (shipped!) drag

Reactions: 1 user

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I’ve used mine several times behind my BXX1870 and for that machine it is rugged enough. I double nutted the handle bolt but other than that it’s good to go. In the spring I’ll weld the short cross brackets to fit concrete blocks.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You know, now that i think of it.. maybe that's not easy! I haven't actually dumped material out of a dump bed/trailer (even though i have driven a dump truck for reasons of working on it as a mechanic). There's probably a lot of technique to trying to get a 2" depth to come out the back of a dump bed.
I think you are correct. I know from having material delivered and spread on my own driveway that there are a lot of variables. The driver can use check-chains to limit the opening, but the angle of the box also has to change as the load is dumped to maintain the rate, which must be coordinated with the travel speed. Another factor is how wet the material is (at least, with fines). Damp material tends to clump and requires a wider opening to come out of the box. Dry material flows out more evenly and readily.

It looked to me to be as much art as science.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It looked to me to be as much art as science.
Agreed!

And around here, the quarries don't allow their drivers to do it. Takes too much time, I guess? Dunno, just guessing. Anyway, it's against policy.

I have heard that a 6 pack will get you a rough attempt that is at least better than having it all dumped in a pile, but policy is that it gets dumped in a pile.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Agreed!

And around here, the quarries don't allow their drivers to do it. Takes too much time, I guess? Dunno, just guessing. Anyway, it's against policy.
I would guess that it has more to do with OH&S or wear and tear on the equipment. Driving while raising the box up is a lot less stable than just dumping the box, and hitting overhead wires or tree branches with a raised dump box is a real hazard.

There may even be an interlock that must be overriden to drive and dump. Google "dump truck hits bridge". It's amazing how many times this has happened and wouldn't surprise me if some companies equip their trucks with some mechanism or safety switch to prevent it.

Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
It's more of a knowing your material, how to set your gate and how the bed lifts at what ground speed. I was fairly decent at it in my Pete 10 wheeler, but it took pretty long to get ok at it. Also pretty much figured out I had to be moving at speed, bed up already then pop the gate and keep the bed going up. Not an easy task at all just to get an even spread let alone hit whatever depth.