Machinists, Toolmakers- Ball Turning attachment?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm lining up projects for my shop, and a ball turning/radius tool for the lathe is something I've wanted for a while. There are lots of designs out there, and I think I've settled on one, but was wondering if any of you have built/used/have opinions on which design is preferable. Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
No experience with these, but I want to subscribe to this thread to learn.

Lil foot, is this for your new lathe?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yup, was ready to build one for the 9x20 when the 12x36 popped up. Now I have to start hunting some larger stock. I have used a couple of different Hardinge ball turning attachments over the years, and they are excellent- rigid & smooth. But they are also rare & incredibly expensive. Saw a used one for $4500.
So I will make one as time & opportunity permit. Really tied up these days, FIL is not doing well & he & MIL need lots of care, help, & time.
I will post progress when it happens, but just gathering data & stock at this point.
Lots of youtube vids on the subject.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I built the first style as one of my first projects and still use it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Glad to hear it- that was the design I had pretty much settled on, nice to hear it is good enough to still be in use.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I first saw the pillbox style on Bedair's site long ago when I had a Griz G4000 (9x19) and was trying to sort out both the marginal (at best) lathe along with my total lack of skill. I started construction but never finished it. Like you, I upgraded, but my upgrade was a Rockwell 11x37, followed ultimately by another upgrade to my current 17x60. I think I'm done with upgrading, unless I can find a cheap clean DSG, L&S, or maybe a late (high speed) Monarch or the like.

Anyway, I've considered a number of options including those you've posted. If I build one now, it will probably be the C frame style. But, if you think about it, the compound itself isn't far from the pillbox ball turner, so as long as the pivot surface was clean and oiled it could be used as the base for a ball turner that functions the same as the pillbox. I wouldn't even consider doing that with the 9xN class of lathes, the compound on them is barely functional even when tight using a 4 bolt base upgrade, much less swiveling. But for a moderately small ball (maybe less than 2"?), I wouldn't hesitate to knock together some sort of lashup for my compound.