Machinists: This Old Tony

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have seen his videos B4 and not only are they interesting, but his sense of humor is as outstanding as his work. He puts a lot of time in producing these videos.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice video. Small machines though. I quit making doo-dads a long time ago. Takes a lot of time. I just fiddle with firearms and making moty wife when I croak, she will have a heck of a sale. Problem is, she will need a rigger to move some of it.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
This Old Tony is more of an entertainer with machining skills. (he is a hobbiest in his garage)

If you like machinist videos....(REAL machining , not computer-controlled)
Also check out:
Adam Booth of ABOM79 (third-generation machinist)
Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery (can fix nearly anything and his shop is HUGE)

And my all time favorite
Keith Fenner of Turnwright Machine shop (this guy is a wizzard of metalworking)

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
This Old Tony is more of an entertainer with machining skills. (he is a hobbiest in his garage)

If you like machinist videos....(REAL machining , not computer-controlled)
Also check out:
Adam Booth of ABOM79 (third-generation machinist)
Keith Rucker of Vintage Machinery (can fix nearly anything and his shop is HUGE)

And my all time favorite
Keith Fenner of Turnwright Machine shop (this guy is a wizzard of metalworking)

I agree with you, I subscribe to all three of them. The first two are common sense, down to earth and I have learned a lot from them.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have watched This Old Tony for years, pretty talented, but I can't make any of his stuff; I don't have a cat.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
That was great although highly additive, I just couldn't stop at just one video, thanks for sharing.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have watched This Old Tony for years, pretty talented, but I can't make any of his stuff; I don't have a cat.
Don't waste your time and get a cat. Tried this with my cat yesterday and the parts came out looking like crap.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You want one, we have a few extra floating around.....:eek:

Keep the mice out of my tractors...

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My cats are too busy with squirrels and the odd weasel/martin/fisher to really make inroads on the mice.

Back on topic - that's some amazing talent these guys have!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I couldn't help but notice that at several points he blended radii and curves with a power file and strip sander- I also suspect sandpaper & scotchbrite were used. Perfectly acceptable, and for most things, faster, cleaner, and more efficient.
But the very old school toolmakers who mentored me in the early days would shake their heads and say "tsk, tsk", or maybe even be openly disgusted. They would insist that all surfaces should be machined and blended with skill, not sanding.
Now I don't claim to never use my strip sanders and such, but I still occasionally try to achieve results that would make those old boys proud, wherever they're watching from.
Because of Aurthur Itis taking up residence in my right elbow, I can't throw a heavy bowling ball, or throw it using any usual techniques, so I must drill my own balls (ouch!) to suit my own odd technique.
Here are pics of an old fixture plate (that I bought from the scrap dealer) that I bored a hole through & then blended a radius into, to serve as a clamp to hold a bowling ball while drilling it.
There has been no sanding or polishing on this piece- the hole was bored with a boring head on the vertical mill, then the radius was cut with a corner round using a rotary table on the mill.
Not necessary that it be this pretty, and I could have saved some time doing it with less care and precision, but I'd like to think one of those crusty old guys is looking down saying "That's my boy".:D
Paul Short sums it up perfectly- "..Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude..."

Attachments

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Bill,

You and I are "O-Fishully" old farts. When I took shop class you NEVER used steel or any metal on a sander of any kind. In fact, If I called it "sand paper" in metal shop or wood shop, I got corrected: It's abrasives paper.

Now you see all kinds of production processes using abrasives specifically designed for metals use. Knife makers are a good example.

It's nice that you know the difference. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It a lost art,,,, kids today dont have a clue about any of this

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It a lost art,,,, kids today dont have a clue about any of this
Along those lines, a few days ago I was flipping through channels and came across Kelly & Ryan, who where giving the results of a survey of millennials, who stated that they were the handiest generation- they could fix things better than any other generation, including baby boomers!
After I wiped the tears of laughter from my face, I wondered how any group of people could be so self deluded & out of touch with reality?
And then I remember liberals. (oops not supposed to get political, my bad)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The wifes one grand daughter is married to one like that,, they were here and he had a flat on this what ever kind of foreign car he drove. Crying how much it was going to cost to get it towed tot he dealer and them to fix it,,,really it was very sad to watch. I told him I could take care of it,, and OMG you cant do that you have to be a trained technician to fix something like that. The grand daughter said pap will fix it , Jacked it up, took the tire off he didnt even know where the jack was,, found a nail or screw I dont remember, pulled it out and plugged it,, 20 min tops. He never said a thing just I cant believe that, I cant believe that. Kids today for the most part dont have a clue,, and if things go sideways I think the only ones left is going to be us old timers cause they young wont survive!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
The WW2 generation would get my vote for the handiest bunch. They tried to fix everything that broke. And if you could build it, you did not buy it.

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

Bill you referenced Paul Short. Do you mean of Bay Roberts NL ?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Bill you referenced Paul Short. Do you mean of Bay Roberts NL ?
Yup, used to go by the name "Wildfire" on this forum. Amazing skills, especially his welding. I think maybe he's an alien- humans don't weld at his level.