M9540 wont start

laketownghost

Equipment
Kubota m9540
Sep 10, 2023
Im helping my mom's husband. The tractor wont start. The pto indicator dash light says engaged, the switch is definitely off.. disconnected and reconnected all connections that i could see.. what should i check. Is it electric or mechanical? I dont have a whole bunch of time and id like to get it figured out if anyone could give me a rundown/checklist of things to try i would greatly appreciate it

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If it is a lever operation then try to engage it and the turn it off with some gusto.

If it is a switch then you can try to remove the switch and clean its contacts or figure out what needs to be connected to what for the tractor to think the pto is off. Then connect the wires to turn it off

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Im helping my mom's husband. The tractor wont start. The pto indicator dash light says engaged, the switch is definitely off.. disconnected and reconnected all connections that i could see.. what should i check. Is it electric or mechanical? I dont have a whole bunch of time and id like to get it figured out if anyone could give me a rundown/checklist of things to try i would greatly appreciate it
I am seeing two different switches. One is a 6-pole push/pull switch and the other is lever style switch. The latter uses a simple limit switch that is known to fail.
I tried finding the part numbers on Messick's but had no luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is a shot in the dark as there are quite a few sub models to chose from and they all have difernt controls.
PTO lever, and PTO engagement switch:
1694413722483.png

Reactions: 1 user