M9540 running hot

Ferrisgeorge

Equipment
M9540
Jun 29, 2014
Swainsboro, Ga
I have a M9540 tractor for 3 years with approximately 1800 hrs on it. During bushhogging with a 15 ft batwing mower over a hay field it starts running towards the upper end of the temperature range. I have blown the air filters and radiator filters thoroughly. All fluids are clean and up to date. Running engine at 2200. Blew air through the radiators. Any ideas on how to proceed.?

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
What engine rpm you running?
Possibly cooling system flush is necessary.
Valves adjusted -that is if they are adjustable.
Belts tight, rad cap holding pressure?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would try flushing the fins with water and degreaser first. Especially if you have a fan that blows air through the radiater from the engine compartment. The bottom half of the fins can get coated with bug guts and blowing it out sometimes doesn't get them. Blower fan will also get a hot spot in the middle of the radiater and if the air flow is reduced on the bottom, it will cause temperture to creap up under heavy loads

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is the possibility that it's not really running hot, it could be just a bad gauge or a bad sending unit.
I would get a manual temp gauge and check it with that. ;)

Glovelis

Equipment
M8200
Jun 30, 2014
Stonewall, Ok
Just bought a M8200 with 780 hours. Hooked it up to my 10 ft Rhino rotary mower today and the same thing happened. I was mowing in the heat of the day and the temp gauge gradually moved to the red. I shut down and noticed water reservoir was bubbling and coming out overflow. I let it set for around three hours, cleaned radiator with air, went out again. Gauge didn't quite make the red section on the gauge but it was close, shut down, no bubbling and no overflow. Of course this time it was quite cooler outside. What is normal temperature gauge location? Heat index was close to 100 here today. How can I make the tractor run cooler? Ferrisgeorge, did you figure anything out?