M9000 low/high range problems

jabx3

Equipment
m9000 nh 1411 mower 648 baler vermeer tedders and rakes
Jun 17, 2013
middletown va
Looking for help here, never had this before. Nineties model m9000 with cab and fel 4x4. Tractor acts like it is in low range for periods of time when it's in high restart tractor and viola it's in high range. Doesn't shift back to high all the time though. There is no free play in clutch pedal and gear shifter has lots of play in it. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but want to fix everything when I start on it .

gyro28866

Equipment
M95S
Jun 18, 2013
Dickson, Tennessee
I have a M95S
Is yours manual or switch activated?
Several years ago, the swing shift started doing what you are describing. Mine is electric over hydrolic. The electrical connection in the top of the transmission broke. It is a real pain to change that connection out. The top of the tranny has to come out. The connector is installed from the inside of the cover.
However, I said all this to bring you to a point. If there is not enough hydrolic pressure, then the tranny can not shift from one range to another.
And Kubota has a typo in their service manual. The positioning of the three shift forks are not what they state in the service manual. The high/low range fork which goes to the bottom of the tranny will only allign the shift fork dogs with the gear in low range not neutral. The 1st-4th are in neutral. I had to drop the bottom plate to verify the allignment.
If yours is electric over hydro, check the electric connections first, then the hydrolic pressure.

jabx3

Equipment
Jun 17, 2013
middletown va
it would seem to be electric if restarting the tractor changes anything, i'll check it out

thanks

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
HYD shuttle wasn't offered on the 9000's until 2003. Until that point they were a straight gear tranny with standard shuttle shift. I would probably be looking hard at the clutch it'self to be the problem.

jabx3

Equipment
Jun 17, 2013
middletown va
thanks but would restarting the tractor change anything about the clutch or could it just help the clutch release fully?

jabx3

Equipment
Jun 17, 2013
middletown va
would you even bother trying to adjust the clutch at this point? there is no free play