M8540 Tool Box

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I got feed up with not having any decent place to store tools, chains and parts on my tractor (not on the cab floor).
I cut off the right step post (useless) above the first step and fabricated a mount for a weather proof box I got from a local sporting goods store.

E/S

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
And what time will you be coming to make one for my tractor!! . You did one excellent job on that. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out where to mount a tool box for my sockets and pins. I have a canvas bag slung over the seat bracket that has been getting soaked from rain and every time I pressure wash the tractor. My right side on the L3200 is useless to me because of the controls for the FEL. I now need to find someone with a welder and get the metal to fabricate the holder for me. Super idea and job!

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Just went out to look at my tractor to see if I could mount a tool or utility box on my L3200, but cannot seem to find any good location for it. If anyone who has the L3200 or L3800 and has mounted a box, PLEASE give me a clue as to where I can mount one.
I not only use the 3 pt. hitch, I also use the BH77 Backhoe attachment so trying to mount on the back seems hopeless to me. Mounting to the front does not give any more hope either. The FEL is too close for that as well.
Frank

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I already mounted a grab handle on the right side after buying the tractor. I have a bad back and have hard time turning around to see behind me so I bought the handle to help me turn. I could possibly mount a box like E/S did if I could ever get a nice holder made like his with a little modifying for bolting it in place. I would have to unbolt it to change one of the hydraulic filters that is on the right side just under the floor board.
I walked around the tractor this afternoon with the same box E/S has that I used on my boat to store my food and supplies in while fishing, but could not find any place to mount it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
PLEASE give me a clue as to where I can mount one.
I mounted a tool box on top of my right fender. Makes a good arm rest and so far hasn't been in the way of anything. I also use a loader and BH on mine.

Don't have a pic of just the box but you can see a little of it in this one.

Attachments

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
The flat top on the fenders sure come in handy. It is unfortunate that my fenders are more rounded on the top. I have the L3200 which are rounder fenders and hoods. Makes it almost impossible to mount anything flat on.
I also have the turn signals and flashers mounted on the fenders, so I don't want to block those.
It just seems that for every idea, there is a problem. I have sat at the tractor staring at it trying to figure a way to do a mount, but just come up empty every time.
I just may have to forget the idea of having the box at all. Not liking the idea much, but may be the only way unless someone came up with the solution just for the L3200 and L3800.
I do appreciate the post and pic though.
Frank

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Frank, I was just looking on the Kubota site at a L 3200 thinking about a mounting point and saw something you might want to look at. Pull it up and then pull up a pic of the BH. It looks to have a factory mounted tool box on the left hand side of the rops.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Bulldog,
If you are referring to the little grey box mounted on the ROPS, that is my glove box. They move the mounting from behind the drivers seat up to the left fender with a bracket when you order the backhoe attachment that I have. The box is just big enough for my pair of gloves, one ratchet with a socket for taking on and off the 3 pt. hitch arms and maybe my key when I am done with tractor. Other then that I can not even get a chain bracelet much less my tow chains in that thing.
I would love to carry my 20' chain and two lifting straps as well as a couple wrenches and my 2 pound persuader for attitude adjustments!!! :D. The only place I can see that is even close it the right side between the front and rear wheel in front of the hydraulic filter. I would have to remove the mount when changing the filter. I don't have a welder nor access to one. My welding shop charges as much for the mount as I paid for the tractor :eek:, so that is not an option either. Not shooting down anyone's ideas, just don't have any place to mount yet. I know one of you guys will get it figured out.
I thought about trying to mount a box on the PTO shaft cover, but not sure if I have that much room there when backhoe is on tractor.
I just took the backhoe off the other day after pressure washing it. I figured I would not need it any more this year. If I have to do another hook-up just to see if it would work on the PTO cover, I will do that.
Frank

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
When I bought the L3200 earlier this year, they had two L3400 models left. They have the flat fenders and hoods on them. I do like the look much better and wanted to buy that tractor instead but they did not have the in HST like the L3200, so that is why I got the L3200. For what I use the tractor for around here, it was worth having the HST so I did not have to shift back and forth all the time.
I knew it would come to haunt me later to have the rounded fenders and hood!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds like you are in a tuff spot. Only other idea I have would be to mount a little bigger box on the bracket your glove box is on so you can hold a few more tools. As far as the chain goes, if yours has a brush guard on it maybe use the lower space below the head lights to mount a box for the chains and such. Good luck with it and maybe someone smarter than me can help you out.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I appreciate the help Bulldog. I am hoping someone will come up with an idea for me that I cannot see. I thought about a larger box on the existing bracket, but the bracket is so small now I don't know what box would fit or if it is even worth the effort!
Frank

rongarrett

Equipment
M7040 SU
Nov 10, 2011
Newnan Georgia
M7040 here, {no cab}. I like being able to lift the tool box out. sometimes I need to work on our implements. Being able to have a tool box within reach is very nice. Gonna look and see if I can mount a similar bracket. I don't have a backhoe or bucket for it as we have a big case backhoe and a bobcat here on the farm. M70 is expected to do everything the other two units do not.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
M7040 here, {no cab}. I like being able to lift the tool box out. sometimes I need to work on our implements. Being able to have a tool box within reach is very nice. Gonna look and see if I can mount a similar bracket. I don't have a backhoe or bucket for it as we have a big case backhoe and a bobcat here on the farm. M70 is expected to do everything the other two units do not.
The tool box lifts right out, nothing holding it in but gravity.

E/S