M8200 pto issue

Pignout

Equipment
M8200, L35, L39
Jun 1, 2020
Olympia, Wa
My wife was doing some brush hog work yesterday and when she was done for the day she said that in the areas where the grass was thicker the mower would stop. First thing I told her was to only cut half a row in those areas but I tightened the clutch on the mower a bit also. Today I was doing some of the mowing and the mower did the same thing. However, after looking into what was happening I found that the PTO was actually stopping. It has an independent PTO and I bought this brush hog years ago because my wife went through shear bolts by the box on my original mower with no clutch so pto certainly did not stop when the going got tough then. I thing that is really puzzling is that there is no bad noises or smells that would indicate anything is wrong. The PTO just quits turning. I've had 6 Kubotas and never experienced this before. Any one have any thoughts on what is happening. Thank you

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I would look for a pto clutch test port. How long since hyd filters were changed? Do other hyd functions operate as designed?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Sounds expensive to me! If the PTO slips, even for just a little while, the clutch discs will be warped and ruined.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please clarify what you’re saying about “pto was actually stopping”.

Did the short shaft out of the tractor and the first part of the pto shaft stop turning?

Did the rear end of the pto shaft stop turning and the front part at the tractor keep turning?

Trying to see if tractor problem (sounds like what you mean) or pto slip clutch problem (what you thought you resolved by tightening it up).

Pignout

Equipment
M8200, L35, L39
Jun 1, 2020
Olympia, Wa
All new filters and fluid change less then 20hrs ago. PTO stops..... It has nothing to do with the clutch on the drive line to the mower. All other hydrolics work fine as does the transmission clutch. When PTO stops turning there is no squeals, growns, bangs, or shattering. It just stops till mower is lifted then starts turning again . Nor is there "any" smell like a hot burning clutch.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Russells’ post brings up a matter I’ve seen occur several times/places in these forums….. identification or definition of ”PTO”.

I believe the confusion can be clarified by recognition/definition of PTO as “Power Take-Off”…..which is the splined-shaft that exits the rear axle/transmission of the tractor.

The “PTO” …. is NOT… the Drive-Line that connects the tractor to the implement (shredder in this thread….. “Bush-Hog” is a common phrase but is actually a brand-name of a shredder or rotary-cutter implement…. sort of like saying “Xerox copy”…when meaning “photocopy”.

Anyway, the PTO-shaft is the short shaft exiting the rear of the tractor to which is connected any PTO-Driven device…such as a drive-line (usually equipped with Universal-joints)….that transmits the PTO power to the implement.

In THIS thread, I understood that the PTO-shaft of the tractor stopped turning. If so, it can be an internal clutch, gear-set, or other tractor-internal problem.

If the PTO is turning….but the driveline does not turn…it might be a U-joint collar shear-pin/bolt that has failed. Look to see if the first U-joint is spinning… if so then look to see if the drive-shaft is spinning…then the aft U-joint….. lastly the driveline clutch.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
All new filters and fluid change less then 20hrs ago. PTO stops..... It has nothing to do with the clutch on the drive line to the mower. All other hydrolics work fine as does the transmission clutch. When PTO stops turning there is no squeals, growns, bangs, or shattering. It just stops till mower is lifted then starts turning again . Nor is there "any" smell like a hot burning clutch.
You won't see, hear or smell any of those things when the PTO clutch fails.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
How many hrs on the tractor? What kind of fluid did you use?

Pignout

Equipment
M8200, L35, L39
Jun 1, 2020
Olympia, Wa
Russells’ post brings up a matter I’ve seen occur several times/places in these forums….. identification or definition of ”PTO”.

I believe the confusion can be clarified by recognition/definition of PTO as “Power Take-Off”…..which is the splined-shaft that exits the rear axle/transmission of the tractor.

The “PTO” …. is NOT… the Drive-Line that connects the tractor to the implement (shredder in this thread….. “Bush-Hog” is a common phrase but is actually a brand-name of a shredder or rotary-cutter implement…. sort of like saying “Xerox copy”…when meaning “photocopy”.

Anyway, the PTO-shaft is the short shaft exiting the rear of the tractor to which is connected any PTO-Driven device…such as a drive-line (usually equipped with Universal-joints)….that transmits the PTO power to the implement.

In THIS thread, I understood that the PTO-shaft of the tractor stopped turning. If so, it can be an internal clutch, gear-set, or other tractor-internal problem.

If the PTO is turning….but the driveline does not turn…it might be a U-joint collar shear-pin/bolt that has failed. Look to see if the first U-joint is spinning… if so then look to see if the drive-shaft is spinning…then the aft U-joint….. lastly the driveline clutch.
The drive line stops