M8200 front/rear gear ratio

cold_one

New member

Equipment
L3400, M8200
Aug 24, 2010
3
0
0
Roland, Manitoba, Canada
I bought a used M8200. Can anyone tell me what the front:rear gear ratio is for an M8200 FWA tractor. I am trying to determine proper tire size(s) as I believe I need to correct either the front or rear tires as it is binding when going into or out of fwa. Rear are worn and need to be replaced - Is this enough to cause the binding?

thanks.
 

ETRon

New member

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
128
0
0
Tellico Plains, TN
Best I can do is list the stock tire sizes, I'd doubt the gearing has been changed so shouldn't enter into the problem.
fronts should be 12.4 x 24
rears should be 18.4 x 30

hope that helps
 

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
Best I can do is list the stock tire sizes, I'd doubt the gearing has been changed so shouldn't enter into the problem.
fronts should be 12.4 x 24
rears should be 18.4 x 30

hope that helps
ETRon has it right on the tire size. Try turning the wheels to the side when you disengage the 4wd and it will shift out much easier.
 

cold_one

New member

Equipment
L3400, M8200
Aug 24, 2010
3
0
0
Roland, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks,

Mine has industrial tires/tread so the rears are 16.9x28 and fronts are 12.5x20 (have to go check :confused:).

I believe these are the right size tires. The front tires are nearly new and when matched with the rear which are worn down, i.e. 15-20% remaining. This is why I think the issue is the rears. Probably that way because it was a tractor owned by a city and likely did a lot of work on paved roads.

Will try the turning method to see if it is easier to disengage.
 

ETRon

New member

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
128
0
0
Tellico Plains, TN
The proportion on your tires front to back is the same (within reason) as the ag tire sizes. I feel for ya if it's had a lot on hard surface 4x4 time. Lots of wear issues possible, bearings especially. Best of luck!
 

Bulldog

Well-known member

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
5,434
80
48
Rocky Face, Georgia
If there is that much difference in tread depth I would really be careful about running on hard pack or asphalt in 4wd.
 

cold_one

New member

Equipment
L3400, M8200
Aug 24, 2010
3
0
0
Roland, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks. The tractor won't see any pavement once I get it home:). I am taking it over to the tire shop to put new tires on the rear. They are suggesting I can put ag tires on instead of industrial - same size. I am wondering about doing so as ag's have more side flex and so the circumference may not be the same even with same rim diameter.

Any thoughts on mixing ag and industrial?