M7500dt

MacLeigh

Sep 10, 2014
Canada
Im looking to buy a m7500dt for work in my bush and clearing snow. It seems to be in good shape 5600hrs, 4wd works good. Only leak I could find was a little seepage from front diff. No drips just dust covered seepage. comes with 2 buckets asking price is $9000. Does this reasonable?

Thanks

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
5600hrs is a lot. If that were a car running an average of around 30 mph down the road, that is almost 170000 miles. (Just a quick math trick to correlate hours to a mileage mark for folks that don't really understand wear on diesel engines but do on gas engines)

Now that time is not just on the engine but all the parts themselves. Before I paid that kind of cash for a tractor I'd make darned sure I was getting a fair deal.

Call a Tractor mechanic familiar with the model. If they will do a survey for $50-$100 it could save you thousands in repairs down the road.

Make sure the survey includes a compression test. If you are near the bottom end of the ratings (or below) you know the engine needs a rebuild and that is about $2K if you do the work yourself, $4-5K to have someone else do it.

Add up all the repairs the survey shows the unit will need and multiply by 1.5. That's about the real amount it will need as the survey won't get everything.

This also gives you a negotiation point for bringing the price down a bit from the seller.

If the survey comes back as the unit being in great shape, then likely it was fully maintained and it is probably a decent buy. Someone that keeps their tractors in great shape is going to ask for more than someone who doesn't, and the unit is actually worth more as well.

However, compare all this against a new tractor with payments at 0%. That is sometimes the better road if you can afford it.

MacLeigh

Sep 10, 2014
Canada
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually a mechanic myself and the guy selling it is a good friend of mine that keeps his stuff pretty clean. I just haven't been able to find a whole lot of literature on the m7500 dt model. Makes it hard to determine value. I've been comparing it to other tractor companies in similar hp and options.