M7060HD12 stuck in park

ego260

Equipment
RTV
Feb 4, 2020
Augusta, Wisconsin, USA
I have a 2020 M7060HD12 that is stuck in park in a field.

it got stuck Sunday evening, it’s stuck on a very slight grade facing down hill. I chocked the wheels and checked the linkage nothing looks bent, and the torque stripes the dealer I bought it from seem to match up.
I’ve tried alternating between 4WD, shifting between hi and lo, really mashing the brake, and lifting the tractor as high as I could with the loader, there is currently no bucket on it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a 2020 M7060HD12 that is stuck in park in a field.

it got stuck Sunday evening, it’s stuck on a very slight grade facing down hill. I chocked the wheels and checked the linkage nothing looks bent, and the torque stripes the dealer I bought it from seem to match up.
I’ve tried alternating between 4WD, shifting between hi and lo, really mashing the brake, and lifting the tractor as high as I could with the loader, there is currently no bucket on it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think you need to take the pressure off the parking mechanism.
You need to get creative without a bucket. Can you stick a heavy timber against the loader frame and then roll the bucket to generate a pushing force back up the hill.
A chain between another vehicle and your tractor. Standing on the taught chain will generate a lot of tension in the chain pulling the tractor slightly backwards.
I looked in the WSM and saw nothing. Same for the Operators manual.
Cars parked on steep hill have this problem at times. Some have a hidden slot near the shiftter to insert a key in to free the shifter. Your tractor will not have this but I mention it to you just to point out it is a common problem. Car owners are told to turn the front wheels against a curb before putting it in park.
Dave

ego260

Equipment
RTV
Feb 4, 2020
Augusta, Wisconsin, USA
I think you need to take the pressure off the parking mechanism.
You need to get creative without a bucket. Can you stick a heavy timber against the loader frame and then roll the bucket to generate a pushing force back up the hill.
A chain between another vehicle and your tractor. Standing on the taught chain will generate a lot of tension in the chain pulling the tractor slightly backwards.
I looked in the WSM and saw nothing. Same for the Operators manual.
Cars parked on steep hill have this problem at times. Some have a hidden slot near the shiftter to insert a key in to free the shifter. Your tractor will not have this but I mention it to you just to point out it is a common problem. Car owners are told to turn the front wheels against a curb before putting it in park.
Dave
That’s a good idea with the log, I have a 7040 also that has pallet forks on it right now. I was going to run out and see if I can get the dang bucket attached to the 7060 tomorrow. One question I had if temperature would make a difference, I don’t think I’ve run this in below freezing temps before, and it has definitely been cold in Wisconsin the last few days.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That’s a good idea with the log, I have a 7040 also that has pallet forks on it right now. I was going to run out and see if I can get the dang bucket attached to the 7060 tomorrow. One question I had if temperature would make a difference, I don’t think I’ve run this in below freezing temps before, and it has definitely been cold in Wisconsin the last few days.
Yes if there is water in the hydraulic sump / transmission it could definitely be causing you issues.
I've had just a little water in the sump that froze up the 4WD gear drive before the Disengagement gears, and couldn't move the tractor, yep felt like it was stuck in park.
If you have that issue you'll need to get some kind of heater out there and warm up the bottom of the tractor, use tarps or old blankets or such to keep enough heat in there to thaw and free it up.
Then get it back to where you can work on it, get it warm again without running it, and drain off the bottom of all the drains, usually several on the case and several on the final drives on some models.
No need to drain all the fluid, water will sit on the bottom, that is unless your in need of a fluid change and if you do change the filter too.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I suggest to raise 1 rear tire with a jack or your M7040. This should loosen stress on drivetrain.

Reactions: 1 user

ego260

Equipment
RTV
Feb 4, 2020
Augusta, Wisconsin, USA
Yes if there is water in the hydraulic sump / transmission it could definitely be causing you issues.
I've had just a little water in the sump that froze up the 4WD gear drive before the Disengagement gears, and couldn't move the tractor, yep felt like it was stuck in park.
If you have that issue you'll need to get some kind of heater out there and warm up the bottom of the tractor, use tarps or old blankets or such to keep enough heat in there to thaw and free it up.
Then get it back to where you can work on it, get it warm again without running it, and drain off the bottom of all the drains, usually several on the case and several on the final drives on some models.
No need to drain all the fluid, water will sit on the bottom, that is unless your in need of a fluid change and if you do change the filter too.
Another question, but could low hyd fluid cause it? I honestly dont believe the fluid is low, but when something is on your mind paranoia and the what ifs set in.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
One question I had if temperature would make a difference, I don’t think I’ve run this in below freezing temps before, and it has definitely been cold in Wisconsin the last few days.
I use my M6060 when it's way below freezing without any issues at all. I'm not following what you mean by "stuck in park"? I'm familiar with automatic transmission vehicles where the shifter is unable to move out of Park due to the lock out failing, but I don't see how you'd be stuck to the point of not being able to move the tractor under its own power. If you depress the clutch can you get the transmission out of neutral? Is the brake pedal releasing? Is it just the parking brake handle that isn't releasing? You can drive the tractor or at least move the tractor with the parking brake on.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I looked up the M7060h in parts to see how the brakes work....
all mechanical by the looks of it.

there is a 'pawl' inside that gets 'locked' in a depression on a ringthing...inside....
if the oil inside is frozen(aka has water mixed) I can see the pawl not releasing out of the depression
kind of a head scratcher cause if the brake levers/rods/etc. are all 'free' tractor should move

originally I was reading into the post that the tractor might be 'stuck' as in frozen into the ground....
but maybe it's mechanically stuck ( pawls won't release ??

• Dislike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another question, but could low hyd fluid cause it? I honestly dont believe the fluid is low, but when something is on your mind paranoia and the what ifs set in.
Yes Low hydraulic fluid could cause it to not move.
Hydraulic clutches won't engage if it's low on fluid.

And a tractor transmission is not like an auto / Truck transmission with a parking PAW that gets stuck.
There is no Parking PAW.

The brakes are a fluid breaking system on that model, it's a diaphragm that moves no paws or cams involved!
The likely hold of stuck brake is very very unlikely.

Could be if it was stuck in mud that mud got frozen around a part like the clutch cable causing it to not engage.
If your trying to move it and nothing is happening, it's most likely fluid issue, range or gear selection, or clutch linkage valve issue.
If your trying to move it, and it's dragging the motor down, then it's Brakes stuck, or something else mechanical broken, or water froze in the system.

My money is on water in the hydraulic fluid.
And if it is, DO NOT DRAG the tractor you will break parts, Heat it up in order to get it to move!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I looked up the M7060h in parts to see how the brakes work....
all mechanical by the looks of it.

there is a 'pawl' inside that gets 'locked' in a depression on a ringthing...inside....
if the oil inside is frozen(aka has water mixed) I can see the pawl not releasing out of the depression
kind of a head scratcher cause if the brake levers/rods/etc. are all 'free' tractor should move

originally I was reading into the post that the tractor might be 'stuck' as in frozen into the ground....
but maybe it's mechanically stuck ( pawls won't release ??
You need to look much closer at the layout of the brakes as they are hydraulic not mechanical, no Paw or cams involved.
The brakes are done just like a newer auto with a caliper setup, it's all internal.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah I opened the proper drawing...yikes MAJOR changes..real hydraulic brakes ,dang complicated !!!
There is some kind of 'gear' internal, more a lever, spring loaded that must 'latch' onto something. It'd be nice if the 'part description' was better.
Since it is hydraulic and all internal, I'm wondering if water IS mixed in and FROZE the brakes ? I know a certain skidsteer that had 'watery oil' in the left final drive section, locked it up real hard when Old man Winter came by one night !

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
And a tractor transmission is not like an auto / Truck transmission with a parking PAW that gets stuck.
There is no Parking PAW.
I know there isn't.

These tractors take almost 60 quarts of hydraulic oil, that's 15 gallons of hydraulic oil!! If water was in the transmission, how many gallons would it take to cause a problem, and wouldn't it settle to the bottom of the transmission case? Also, the fill for the transmission is at the rear next to the 3-point and there's a plug with a seal so I don't see how water would get into the transmission case other than in the form of condensation.

I still don't follow what the OP means by "stuck in park". My M6060 which is basically the same tractor will move easily with the handbrake applied. But the oil level in my M is where it should be.

But no doubt, if the hydraulic oil is low (how low is unknown) this could result in a problem since oil flow is required for the shuttle shift to work, among other things. If oil level is marginal, being on a hill might be problematic in terms of the location of the pump, pickup etc.

Looking forward to hearing what the problem is.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Reading the WSM for the 7060/6060, the 7060 has the parking brake integral with the transmission and gear shift and it's a gear lock type. Interesting ... and hope you get it figured out. The 6060 is a simple foot brake lock like the MX.

m7060_brake.jpg

m7060_brake_2.jpg

m7060_brake_3.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In case the issue is related to the parking brake gear lever.

m7060_brake_4.jpg

m7060_brake_5.jpg

m7060_brake_6.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
You need to look much closer at the layout of the brakes as they are hydraulic not mechanical, no Paw or cams involved.
The brakes are done just like a newer auto with a caliper setup, it's all internal.
In the Oper Man, I see the 12F/12R shifter has a Park position that the 8F/8R doesn't. What does this do?

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Ivr had my 7060 be stubborn to get in/out of park of the linkages become wore/bent/seized. When its cold its stiff to move around the pattern. Maybe have a helper move the shifter and watch to see if the linkages are moving correctly. The rubber boot on the shift shaft? will get stiff, its not made for the cold.... maybe its tore and some ice inside it not allowing that last bit of movement to unhook off the brake 'latch' linkage

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I apologize to everyone in this, I'm on the little computer today and didn't have access to the WSM or the OPS manual.
I totally missed the mark, that model does have a Parking Paw Just like an automobile.
And yes if it's stuck then it won't move.
Thanks to mcmxi for pointing out my failings.

To answer his question on how water could cause an issue.
The drive setup for the 4wd is normally at the bottom of the case and water will settle there and freeze around the gears locking up the set of gears, also the finals can collect water and freeze causing it to lock up.

Well if you all will excuse me I need to go cook this egg on my face and make a nice egg samich!

ego260

Equipment
RTV
Feb 4, 2020
Augusta, Wisconsin, USA
I know there isn't.

These tractors take almost 60 quarts of hydraulic oil, that's 15 gallons of hydraulic oil!! If water was in the transmission, how many gallons would it take to cause a problem, and wouldn't it settle to the bottom of the transmission case? Also, the fill for the transmission is at the rear next to the 3-point and there's a plug with a seal so I don't see how water would get into the transmission case other than in the form of condensation.

I still don't follow what the OP means by "stuck in park". My M6060 which is basically the same tractor will move easily with the handbrake applied. But the oil level in my M is where it should be.

But no doubt, if the hydraulic oil is low (how low is unknown) this could result in a problem since oil flow is required for the shuttle shift to work, among other things. If oil level is marginal, being on a hill might be problematic in terms of the location of the pump, pickup etc.

Looking forward to hearing what the problem is.
to clarify the shifter will not move from the park position, it is stuck as stuck can get. So far today I’ve lifted the back end off the ground to free up the wheels, tried pulling it forward, pulled it backwards, crawled under the machine and looked for and bends in the linkage. Fortunately, I remembered today the tractor is still under warranty, so they’re coming out to hopefully fix it tomorrow

ego260

Equipment
RTV
Feb 4, 2020
Augusta, Wisconsin, USA
Ivr had my 7060 be stubborn to get in/out of park of the linkages become wore/bent/seized. When its cold its stiff to move around the pattern. Maybe have a helper move the shifter and watch to see if the linkages are moving correctly. The rubber boot on the shift shaft? will get stiff, its not made for the cold.... maybe its tore and some ice inside it not allowing that last bit of movement to unhook off the brake 'latch' linkage
I checked that boot, no tears or holes, and I don’t see any bending. I’m thinking the linkage just needs some adjustment. The shifter has always been a pain in the butt.