M7060 Squealing noise

AJared

Sep 18, 2018
Medon, TN
I have a 2018 M7060 with 411 hours. It has developed a squealing sound that last for a few seconds after starting the machine. It will happen the first couple of times it is started then stops. It will also stop if you throttle up. I checked the tension on the fan and alternator belt and it is good, and the belts do not appear to be slipping. Any thoughts? Thanks! Maybe the video below will work, so you can hear it.

MOD EDIT: You need to upload the video to YouTube and give us a link.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I can't FB..no cell or smart device, so can't hear it. but maybe bearing going bad ?
Simple test... with cold engine, remove fan belt, start, run a bit. see if noise is/isn't there.
If it's there then NOT alternator or water pump.....

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a 2018 M7060 with 411 hours. It has developed a squealing sound that last for a few seconds after starting the machine. It will happen the first couple of times it is started then stops. It will also stop if you throttle up. I checked the tension on the fan and alternator belt and it is good, and the belts do not appear to be slipping. Any thoughts? Thanks! Maybe the video below will work, so you can hear it.

MOD EDIT: You need to upload the video to YouTube and give us a link.
Even though belts "do not appear to be slipping", try a few drops of "belt dressing": At your local ACE, Walmart, or NAPA.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Sometimes I hear a noise at startup but not like that.... I assume it to be the AC compressor/clutch. I can't imagine what else there is to make a noise. Try it with the AC on and off ti see if it changes anything?

Reactions: 1 user

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
Sounds like an idler or belt issue. Loosten the outer belt and try again. If it goes away you know it was in that group. Appears you have two belts?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That sounds like a bearing going bad to me.

take one belt off and see if noise goes away. If so you can then put the belt back on and carefully put a stethoscope or wooden dowel on the driven pulley to see which one it is.

if not then just listen to the bearings on the second belt

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
could be a/c belt-that wouldn't surprise me. That's a frequently-maintained service point.

Also it may be a relief valve working. I thought I remember a bulletin on the M-40 series that dealt with this issue, which might also apply to the M-60 series? Any current techs want to elaborate on that?

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
could be a/c belt-that wouldn't surprise me. That's a frequently-maintained service point.

Also it may be a relief valve working. I thought I remember a bulletin on the M-40 series that dealt with this issue, which might also apply to the M-60 series? Any current techs want to elaborate on that?
When I read the title hydraulic squeal was what I was expecting to hear because I get that at times. What he recorded sounds like a bearing or belt to me. I had the AC belt squeal on mine but didn't sound much like his noise so more thinking a bearing or maybe AC clutch?

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
I have a 2013 M5640. It has an external EGR valve. It sometimes whistles for a second, like a wooop, on start up. I have been told it is the EGR valve and not a problem ??? Ten years and no trouble.

gg