M7060 Loosing Power/Stalling

Ann

Jul 30, 2019
Clay City, KY
M7060 with about 600 hours periodically looses power and eventually stalls. Moved tractor today and noticed when I got off that the water separator was not completely filled with fuel. Also had lots of bubbles/foam on top. Anyone got advice on where to start. Fuel filter was changed about 50 hours ago.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
My guess fuel is being restricted some location from tank to inj pump? Check to be sure fuel tank is venting. I once owned a M4900 that acted similar that had a blockage in water separater housing.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I changed the separator filters on the M9's I had the same issue (not completely filled and foam on the top. On a lark with the engine running, I shut off the fuel petcock, let the separator bowl get somewhat empty and turned it on again. Filled right to the top, no issue. I had the bleed knob open at the same time.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I don't know about the fuel system in the M60 tractors, but in the L60 tractors and electromagnetic pump sucks fuel from the tank through the water separator and then pushes it up to a sort of mixing tank and elsewhere through the fuel filter. The diagrams for the L 60s are in this thread.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35336

Combined from wsm diagrams and parts diagrams from Messicks or Kubota websites. They are free there. Is your tractor common rail? Dual tanks?

If taking the cap off doesn't fix the problem, next likely thing is algae clog in lines. If high pressure common rail, be sure to have shop manual so you know what lines go where and don't go pulling lines past the fuel filter. There are 3 pumps in that system.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I took a quick look at the parts diagrams and answered some of my questions. Yes it is common rail, the fuel flow is similar but not the same as in the L 60s. Do you have a wsm?

Ann

Jul 30, 2019
Clay City, KY
When I changed the separator filters on the M9's I had the same issue (not completely filled and foam on the top. On a lark with the engine running, I shut off the fuel petcock, let the separator bowl get somewhat empty and turned it on again. Filled right to the top, no issue. I had the bleed knob open at the same time.
When you say "bleed knob" do you mean the plug in the bottom of the separator bowl?

Ann

Jul 30, 2019
Clay City, KY
Welcome to OTT
My guess fuel is being restricted some location from tank to inj pump? Check to be sure fuel tank is venting. I once owned a M4900 that acted similar that had a blockage in water separater housing.
Where is the vent on the fuel tank?

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I don't have a shop manual, but I think your diagram will help. Thanks
You can view the WSM for your tractor on line BY CLICKING HERE. You can also download it from there free by clicking the green download button at the top of that page and going thru they're I am not a bot test.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
When you say "bleed knob" do you mean the plug in the bottom of the separator bowl?

I am guessing he means the bolt on the fuel filter not anything on the water separator, which does have a petcock on yours.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Is the fuel line between the tank and separator under pressure?
Mine is suction not pressure but I don't have a common rail engine either. I have the 'old style' pre emission motors. Common rail might be different.

On my M's, the fuel pump (lift pump) sucks the fuel from the tanks, through the spin on pre filter, through the water separator and it's filter and delivers it to the injection pump.

Common rail motors are probably different.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I am guessing he means the bolt on the fuel filter not anything on the water separator, which does have a petcock on yours.
On my engines, the 'bleed knob' is on top of the pump. You open it to expell any residual air in the fuel system.

When changing fuel filters I have to 'prime ' the spin on filter with a pump type knob a top the fuel filter housing and open the 'bleed knob' on top of the pump to get the rest of the air purged from the fuel system.

Again, a common rail engine is probably different.

My water separator has no provision for bleeding off residual air trapped in the system, it only has a shut off petcock.

When I did the separator number, I had the bleed knob open on the pump the entire time.

Ann

Jul 30, 2019
Clay City, KY
Welcome to OTT
I found debris at the water separator where the fuel line coming in meets the housing. Problem "seems" to be fixed. Thanks to all you posted suggestions!!!!!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That's good news! If you don't already treat your fuel, might be good to put an algae clear product in your fuel tanks, eg Power Service for diesel or similar, so you don't get any more clogs.

TIGERFANATIC

Equipment
M7060HD
May 14, 2021
Alabama
I was experiencing the same issue with my M7060HD with 210 hours.
Engine would die like the key was turned off. After a few minutes with the
ignition on, it would start and run for 15-20 seconds and die again. Frustrating.
I spoke with the technician at our local dealer and he pointed me to the
fuel shutoff solenoid. This wasn't the problem. I also noticed the water separator
was slow to fill or would not fill completely. I removed the fuel line at the separator
from the tank and found it was completely blocked with grass and debris, severely restricting
fuel flow to the separator. Remove the separator, removed the stop cock stem and cleaned
out the debris from the entry to the fuel separator. Instantly cured the problem of no
fuel getting to the injectors. We purchased the tractor from a rental fleet with 105 hours,
so I presume the former user(s) left the fuel cap off while cutting with a disc cutter.