M7060 Backhoe Hydraulic Loop Missing?

Laurel Knoll

Mar 16, 2022
Western Massachusetts
Hi,

I recently got a 2018 M7060HD12 ROPS, and I have a question about the hydraulic line for the backhoe. The previous owner kept the backhoe and I'm wondering if the machine is actually running without the pump circuit being properly set up.

As I've been familiarizing myself with the machine, I noticed this label on the right footboard:

Warning Sign.JPG

Above it there are two hoses running to the back of the machine:

Backhoe Outputs.JPG

They output here:
Loop Circuit.JPG

Right now, without the backhoe, I think that they are effectively capping the system, if my understanding is correct. All the information I've found online indicates the backhoe line that stays on the tractor should be plugged into one of these ports to complete the circuit, but I haven't come across a loose line on my machine, so I suspect I need to get a short jumper hose that plugs into those ports to complete the circuit when the backhoe is not on the machine. Is that correct?

Thanks,

John

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi,

I recently got a 2018 M7060HD12 ROPS, and I have a question about the hydraulic line for the backhoe. The previous owner kept the backhoe and I'm wondering if the machine is actually running without the pump circuit being properly set up.

As I've been familiarizing myself with the machine, I noticed this label on the right footboard:

View attachment 78852

View attachment 78853

They output here:
View attachment 78854

Right now, without the backhoe, I think that they are effectively capping the system, if my understanding is correct. All the information I've found online indicates the backhoe line that stays on the tractor should be plugged into one of these ports to complete the circuit, but I haven't come across a loose line on my machine, so I suspect I need to get a short jumper hose that plugs into those ports to complete the circuit when the backhoe is not on the machine. Is that correct?

Thanks,

John
From what I have read, (I think in my L48 TLB manual?) if you are deadheading your hyd. pump you can expect it to be destroyed in minutes.

Laurel Knoll

Mar 16, 2022
Western Massachusetts
From what I have read, (I think in my L48 TLB manual?) if you are deadheading your hyd. pump you can expect it to be destroyed in minutes.
I have a query out to the dealer where I bought this and will be interested to get their input. I'm not certain if that label applies to the backhoe circuit or if it is referring to the loader circuit. If the latter, the machine has a loader, so that circuit is working. I'll post when I hear from the dealer.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Hi,

View attachment 78852

View attachment 78853

They output here:
View attachment 78854

Thanks,

John
That label sums it up very succinctly. The way you currently have it I would say that it's capped.

I had a BX25D with the backhoe and it was set up by the dealer such that when the backhoe was removed, the power beyond was connected back to itself to allow the fluid to flow freely in a circuit.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a query out to the dealer where I bought this and will be interested to get their input. I'm not certain if that label applies to the backhoe circuit or if it is referring to the loader circuit. If the latter, the machine has a loader, so that circuit is working. I'll post when I hear from the dealer.
My ( L48 TLB ) has a backhoe, and the Kubota factory manual is where I obtained that information, which is specific to the backhoe![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,

View attachment 78852

View attachment 78853

They output here:
View attachment 78854

Thanks,

John
I think the loop back pipe in your manual is for the main outlet block - not the backhoe. See parts diagram.

Are you sure those rear outlets are for the backhoe? What is the model number of the hoe that was removed? A wider view of the front couplers and plumbing would also be interesting. Having quick connects up front and in the rear is strange plumbing.

Edit:

The tractor side backhoe parts diagram (M5660) shows three hoses going to that bulkhead termination and you only have two. The power beyond feed from the loader seems to be the one that is missing. Makes me wonder if the person that removed the backhoe may have rerouted/removed that plumbing along with the backhoe.

Dan

1650893807094.png

1650892438573.png

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
It'll be interesting to hear the response from the dealer.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Does your tractor have a loader? If not then any kind of crazy plumbing could have been done.

Does the 3 pt hitch work?

From my experience there are two style of fittings. Type 1 and Type 2. Your cab door label shows type 2.
These fittings typically provide hydraulic flow to the loader valve.
The loader valve has a power beyond port which feeds the 3 pt hitch and any rear hydraulic outlets.
M7040 Type  2.jpg

M7040 type 1 block.jpg

M7040 type 1 fittings.jpg

Of course the previous owner will could have plumbed the tractor not following Kubota's intended design.

The confusing part of this design is that there are two relief valves in the system piped in series.
The loader relief controls the max pressure which can be seen in the loader valve and it also max's out the pressure sent to the rear relief valve. As an example, if the loader relief is set to 2,600 psi, you cannot adjust the rear relief valve to produce values greater than 2,600 psi but you can set it to produce lower pressures.

Owners who do not understand this often spent time trying to adjust the rear relief but are puzzled when they cannot get the pressure at a rear outlet to increase when in reality it is the loader relief which has set the max pressure.

Since your tractor has been running with nothing connected to the rear outlets, I do not see how the pump could be dead headed. The plumbing is not following the style of machines which are made for a loader and need a loop to maintain flow when the BH is removed.

Does the tractor have a lever for the pair of rear remotes?

For your piece of mind, buy a 0-3,000 pressure gauge and fitting to plug into the rear remote.

Relief valve test gauge.JPG

Move the inside lever and read the pressure.

Dave

Laurel Knoll

Mar 16, 2022
Western Massachusetts
Thanks all for your feedback.

The machine has an LA1154 loader on it. I'll use this info to take look underneath to compare what's down there with what's in the info you all provided. Regarding the point about there being a third line running to the back, that would probably account for the spare hole in the mounting bracket at the top. I believe the previous owner had a Kubota M4011 backhoe. The subframe from that is still on the tractor. It wouldn't surprise me if that was removed.

I don't think there's a risk of the machine being damaged, as they operated it without the backhoe before I bought it and also said the unit passed their shop inspection.

Confirming the three-point hitch works.

Where did you get access to those illustrations? I've been trying to find a parts manual for this machine online, but the best I've come across so far are links from Messick's, which are informative, but not comprehensive.

Sincerely,

John

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The most useful manual for you to look for is the Assembly manual for your loader. Try asking your dealer for a pdf copy of it. Bring a USB stick with you.

I split the LA1153 Assembly Manual in half so it half would be small enough to attach on the forum.

Both halves are attached here.

I do not know how similar the LA1153 is to the loader you have but close I would expect.

I am guessing the BH had its own valve and perhaps its own relief valve which would need a line to the TANK/ aka transmission so it had a path to dump stuff from the relief valve which may be why there is a third hole in the bracket.

The tractor as new would have come with one pair of rear remotes controlled by a single lever in the cab.

This original remotes would NOT have hoses feeding them but rather physically attached and fed from passages in the transmission.

Post a photo of the rear of your tractor from further back so the pto shaft and lift arms are visible.

Manuals for this series of tractor are confusing. The loader has three. Operators, WSM and Assembly.
The tractor has two. Operators and WSM.

There is not one manual which integrates the tractor and its loader so the Assembly manual has lots of useful info.

Dave

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I would bet the PO has rerouted the backhoe power beyond and left the other two lines. Based on the parts diagram the female coupler appears to be a tank return for the backhoe valve which would not need to be looped. The answer to this mystery requires that someone trace the current plumbing.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Laurel Knoll

Mar 16, 2022
Western Massachusetts
Thanks again for your input. Here are some additional photos. The place where the U pipe would go does have lines coming out.

IMG_0122.JPG

Here are some additional images of the tractor from the side and back:

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

I was rushing a bit on my way to work this morning, so I need to take some time to trace these lines out. I'll post additional details when I've done that.

John

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Laurel Knoll, you'll get this all figured out but I just want to say AWESOME tractor! It looks almost brand new!

I have a favor to ask. Can you take a photo from the side showing both wheels and tires? Also, can you provide the front tire dimensions? I'm picking up the M6060 this Friday and want to swap out the front wheels/tires. It came with 9.5-24 R1 Goodyear Dura Torque and I'm thinking about getting 320/85R20 wheels instead. It looks like your front tires are 12.5 but would like to get a better idea of the look.

Thanks.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I would bet the PO has rerouted the backhoe power beyond and left the other two lines. Based on the parts diagram the female coupler appears to be a tank return for the backhoe valve which would not need to be looped. The answer to this mystery requires that someone trace the current plumbing.

Dan
I agree, but it doesn't make much sense that the original owner would take the backhoe and only part of the backhoe installation kit that you show in the first schematic. Odd.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I agree, but it doesn't make much sense that the original owner would take the backhoe and only part of the backhoe installation kit that you show in the first schematic. Odd.
If I were to speculate I would guess the hose was simply moved not removed.

Somebody that understands the plumbing is going to have to trace the circuit front to back to know for sure. But what seems clear is the two remaining couplers on the rear are not the points that would be looped together.

Dan