Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I meant no multi disk dry (mechanical) clutch... Heck now I'm confused! :eek:
Still blaming it on Dave...
Dave, quit confusing me! ;)
NIW I don't get to do it very often. :)

I think the confusion arose when I introduced my experiences with motorcycle oil bath type multi plate clutches as a way to show any multi-plate unit can be damaged.

Kubota 7040 with hydraulic shuttle has the rotational springs to deal with engine vibration to the drive train just in a fixed assembly at the flywheel. See #3 in illustration.

From my WSM:

The damper disc (3) helps ease the shock load when engaging the shuttle clutch.
The belleville washer (cupped spring washer) (4) helps ease the engaging shock together with modulating valve effect.

The hydraulic shuttle clutch, which switches forward and reverse running, function as the traveling clutch. When the clutch pedal (2) is depressed, the clutch spool of shuttle valve (8) moves via the clutch cable (9)

I think for the M7040, the clutch design varies model to model as this dry plate design shows up on Messick's. Possibly for a synchro shuttle.

My original invoice has M7040DTHSCC1

Dave

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Dave eng
If you'll look at my reply #10 you will see the correct parts photo for a damper clutch for a hyd shuttle. Your photo of traction clutch is for syncro reverser. As I previously stated the springs in the clutch plus clutch disk are to absorb shock(dampen) changing directions and IMHO have little if anything to do with engine vibration. IMHO balancer shafts on 4 cyl engines & crankshaft dampeners deal with engine vibrations not the damper clutch.
Jim

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Dave eng
If you'll look at my reply #10 you will see the correct parts photo for a damper clutch for a hyd shuttle. Your photo of traction clutch is for syncro reverser. As I previously stated the springs in the clutch plus clutch disk are to absorb shock(dampen) changing directions and IMHO have little if anything to do with engine vibration. IMHO balancer shafts on 4 cyl engines & crankshaft dampeners deal with engine vibrations not the damper clutch.
Jim
My post included two illustrations not one and the one you posted is just an exploded view of my first side view illustration,

This is a matter where we will have to accept we have differing positions.

The vibrations and balancing you are talking about are more akin to tire and wheel balancing. i.e. balancing out the physical movement of the engine in three planes or along three axis.

The ones I am talking about are often described in musical terms with phrases like 4th order harmonics. These are torsional vibrations arising from the firing pulses of the cylinders.

The difference on this forum really does not matter and perhaps I should have given more thought before posting the Eaton material. I get carried away at times and revert to my days many years ago when I was still in school.

I respect your knowledge, experience and skills.

Perhaps I can give a final thought. My past involved doing all the engineering calculations and modeling while designing a vehicle and getting it on the road or into the field.

I sense yours was dealing with the compromises and mistakes we made in the design and modelling phase.

Feedback from the field was how we learned and made corrections to our calculations and models so the next product was hopefully less frustrating in the field.

Dave

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
My post included two illustrations not one and the one you posted is just an exploded view of my first side view illustration,

This is a matter where we will have to accept we have differing positions.

The vibrations and balancing you are talking about are more akin to tire and wheel balancing. i.e. balancing out the physical movement of the engine in three planes or along three axis.

The ones I am talking about are often described in musical terms with phrases like 4th order harmonics. These are torsional vibrations arising from the firing pulses of the cylinders.

The difference on this forum really does not matter

I respect your knowledge, experience and skills.
Dave
Dave
I never stated or implied that you only posted 1 photo but I did state that 1 of your photos was incorrect for hyd shuttle.

Sorry but incorrect information on this or any other discussion forum does matter to me

As I stated I think springs in clutch hub are to absorb shock loads from direction engagement & have nothing to do with tire/wheel vibrations.

The 4 cyl engines such as a M7040 has balancer shafts to lesser harmonic type vibrations.

I also respect your knowledge & skills.
Jim