M7040 hydraulic filter advice needed

David1951

Equipment
m7040, loading mowing leveling
Jun 7, 2013
hemphill texas
I spoke to the dealer about the 50 hour service requirements, was advised to change the hyd. filters and clean magnets at 50 hrs. Broke one of the two filters loose yesterday to change, drained approximately 3 gallons of fluid and never slowed down.
Do you have to drain the transmission, hydraulics to change filters?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I spoke to the dealer about the 50 hour service requirements, was advised to change the hyd. filters and clean magnets at 50 hrs. Broke one of the two filters loose yesterday to change, drained approximately 3 gallons of fluid and never slowed down.
Do you have to drain the transmission, hydraulics to change filters?
No, but in my opinion, you should change the oil, too. I know that 15 gallons of quality oil does not come cheap but then the tractor can go quite some time before the next change.

There are some tricks to not losing so much oil that you can find with a search.

But to remove the filters and clean the magnets is going to take time - time enough for a considerable amount of fluid to drain out. You could catch it in a clean container and pour it back in if that was your choice. It would not be mine.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
One would think that Kubota would locate the hyd filters to a place that changing the filters wouldn't require a 10 gallon drain pan. I worked for a JD dealer back in the 60's- late 80's and one could change hyd filters on the green ones even back then and only lose a quart or 2 of hyd oil oil not gallons. I read my M7040 operators manual and was amazed when it stated drain oil to change hyd filter. Before anyone wants to start lecturing me I'll state I know about driving my M7040 on an incline with the filters on the high side or using a shop vacuum to limit hyd oil lose. Even with filters on the high side in a ditch one better have a BIG BUCKET when changing hyd filters.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
In my opinion.... the 50 hr. oil changes may well be the most important ones of the machines life. It rids the machine of the initial machining/assembly and break-in particles. It cost me (3 years ago) right at $200 for all the oils for the 50 hr. and I'd do it again.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
On our two machines a tractor and a backhoe both Kubota changing hydraulic filters dumps the entire system. Need multiple clean 5-gal buckets and a willing helper. Very sloppy but worth the effort. Kubota missed it when they left out check valves or determining a better filter location. Clean tractor first extremely well around filter and where fluid will run and drip; clean buckets; filter slowly back into tractor. Use premium oils if relatively new for longest life.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
In my opinion.... the 50 hr. oil changes may well be the most important ones of the machines life. It rids the machine of the initial machining/assembly and break-in particles. It cost me (3 years ago) right at $200 for all the oils for the 50 hr. and I'd do it again.
I agree 100%. On every new tractor I've owned the 50 hr service had by far the nasties oil that has ever been drained. I have done a full service at 50 hrs on every new Kubota that I have and if I ever buy another it will get the same treatment.