M7040 fire

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Big snow storm last night so had to get the M7040 and snow blower into action early today.
After about 20 minutes I started to smell something burning.
Since this had happened once before I knew where to look but first need to raise the FEL up high and swing the grill guard out to the way in order to raise the hood.
A huge pile of dried grass tightly packed around the turbo was actively smoldering and giving off sparks.
Wearing gloves I managed to pull most of it off the engine getting a few burns from the turbo on my inner wrists.
I am thinking of making a big tube out of chicken wire and squeezing it into the turbo area to discourage nesting while allowing air circulation.
Anyone have better ideas besides a gun?
Dave M7040

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
might need to get a barn cat, then again up there - might be too damn cold for a cat to keep up with mice!
you idea sounds good, but keep the wire - small, those mice can squeeze in a hole so small you wonder how they did it!

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Agree with the wire idea. However, 1/4" hardware cloth might be a better option.

It is easy to cut, shape to exact specifications, and will hold its shape better.

An additional option is to buy some rat/mouse poison...the bar kind with a hole down the middle. The attach it with bailing wire to a place the varmints have to travel. Works every time.

The biggest problem you'll have is electrical problems because of nibbling. (Not that fire is not a problem!) Even if you stop the nest building, the vermin are still around to do damage.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
A bucket trap will get those critters
1: 5Gal bucket
2: wire coat hanger
3: 1Gal anti-freeze the non-toxic pink stuff
4: 1 can of beer(your choice)

Empty beer can, poke a hole in the bottom and top of can. insert wire from coat hanger thru holes. Drill 2holes in the top edge of the bucket and put the wire and can across the span of the bucket, bend the wire to hold in place. add 1/2 gal of the anti-freeze into the bucket. Smear Peanut butter on the Beer can. Place the tarp against a wall with inclined ramp to the top of the bucket.

Got 6 of the little buggers in 1 weekend.:D