M7040 FEL Problem and Fix

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
Had a problem on the FEL SSQA today and thought I would pass along the fis.

I was changing from pallet forks to the bucket when the right pin wouldn’t engage the slot. So I backed off the bucket and pulled in the shop To check everything. My first thought was that I had tweaked the SSQA plates. Using a magnetic angle indicator, both were exactly the same. I just greased the FEL two days ago and the pins had grease. However, with the bucket off, I feltresistance in the right handle when it was about half the way down.

After checking the bucket slot for damage, it was Ok.

So thinking about the right handle resistance (it wasn’t much, by the way), I used some Deep Creep and sprayed around the top nut so it would drain down the shaft, then sprayed the springs. Then I mated to the bucket and the latches worked easy and smooth.

i would have never thought that latching shaft resistance, as slight as it was, would have prevented me from being able to hook up to a SSQA implement. so, if you are having a problem latching implements on the SSQA, lube that shaft before you go through all the checks and aggregation I went through with mine today.

Reactions: 1 user

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I have had that problem also. Just some lube on those pivot points makes all the difference!!

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I keep them lubed which it why it surprised me that putting the Deep Creep on the top nut over the springs solved the problem. The resistance I felt with the bucket off was minimal but I could feel something when I worked the latch handle. Maybe there was corrosion at the top of the latch pin but there was definitely grease on it. It works now so I will go back to picking up limb debris this morning from the pecan trees.