M6800 Utility Tractor

Team roper

Equipment
M6800 Utility Tractor
Apr 29, 2017
Cedar Hill MO
Think it's an air problem. Ran the tractor very low on fuel (not out). After fueling rpm's fall off under load. Changed primary and sight glass filters. Not sure I properly bled off air. How much travel is there on the hand pump stroke, located on top of the primary fuel filter ? I'm only able to feel a 1/4 in or less of travel when trying to depress the manual pump.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If your only getting a 1/4 stroke on the fuel pump, it could be a couple things. First is the pump could already be partially in gauged on the engine side of the pump. Theres a tab on a mechanical fuel pump that gets pushed to engage the fuel pump similar to the primer lever or button that we operate with our finger. Bump the engine over slightly and see if it clears up. Try that a couple times. Sometimes it takes more them one bump of the engine to get the right spot.

If that doesn't clear it up, then there could be a partial blockage in the fuel line. Either at a pickup tube, or in one of the fittings up to the fuel pump.

Or simply air locked depending on how the priming system works.

When operating the fuel pump, do you have the bleeder vent open on the injection pump?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Easiest way to bleed the air is loosen the bolt where the fuel line hooks to the injector pump. Then pump your primer on top of the primary filter. It only moves about 1/4 inch like you described but after a few pumps which seems like it takes forever the fuel will squirt out of the line at the pump. When it does tighten the line down and start it up.

This is the easiest way I've found the bleed the lines on this particular style tractor after a filter change.

Team roper

Equipment
M6800 Utility Tractor
Apr 29, 2017
Cedar Hill MO
If your only getting a 1/4 stroke on the fuel pump, it could be a couple things. First is the pump could already be partially in gauged on the engine side of the pump. Theres a tab on a mechanical fuel pump that gets pushed to engage the fuel pump similar to the primer lever or button that we operate with our finger. Bump the engine over slightly and see if it clears up. Try that a couple times. Sometimes it takes more them one bump of the engine to get the right spot.

If that doesn't clear it up, then there could be a partial blockage in the fuel line. Either at a pickup tube, or in one of the fittings up to the fuel pump.

Or simply air locked depending on how the priming system works.

When operating the fuel pump, do you have the bleeder vent open on the injection pump?
There is a bleeder vent at the pump

Team roper

Equipment
M6800 Utility Tractor
Apr 29, 2017
Cedar Hill MO
Thank you. There is a bleeder valve at the pump and I do have it open when using the manual pump on top of the primary filter.

Last edited:

Team roper

Equipment
M6800 Utility Tractor
Apr 29, 2017
Cedar Hill MO
There is a bleeder vent at the pump
Easiest way to bleed the air is loosen the bolt where the fuel line hooks to the injector pump. Then pump your primer on top of the primary filter. It only moves about 1/4 inch like you described but after a few pumps which seems like it takes forever the fuel will squirt out of the line at the pump. When it does tighten the line down and start it up.

This is the easiest way I've found the bleed the lines on this particular style tractor after a filter change.
jm
Thank you I will try this.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Think it's an air problem. Ran the tractor very low on fuel (not out). After fueling rpm's fall off under load. Changed primary and sight glass filters. Not sure I properly bled off air. How much travel is there on the hand pump stroke, located on top of the primary fuel filter ? I'm only able to feel a 1/4 in or less of travel when trying to depress the manual pump.
Be sure you are getting good flow of fuel out of the water separator. Kubota tractors, (Almost ALL of them!) are prone to blocking off in the 90 degree fitting where the fuel enters the separator. There is no filter before there so anything that gets into the tank can get into that fitting and plug it up. I have seem this MANY times and the symptoms are just as you described. You pretty well have to take the whole separator off to have a look.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
The water separator housing has a history of getting debris lodged in passageways. Does separator bowl have a pocket of air in bowl? My old M4900 had a tiny screen that was plugged in fuel shut off valve that caused lack of power problems.

Team roper

Equipment
M6800 Utility Tractor
Apr 29, 2017
Cedar Hill MO
Thank you for your response. It was in fact a small piece of debris in the housing as you and the others who replied, described. I am up and going again. Ty.