M5n-091, front axle (not an issue just curious of function)

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I always noticed the way the front diff works on this tractor if you are turning it makes quite an obvious sound. Always has and isn't anything bad I am 99.99% sure it's normal so I'm just curious why the internals sound this way. Basically it sounds almost exactly like the sound of a salamander heater, like the roar of a propane flame lol. Not anywhere near as loud maybe 1/3 or less loud but same sound.

I think it's related to the tractors ability to shift just the front axle into a higher gear for fast turning but idk.

I'm guessing due to it's design there a part of the front system that spins really really fast when turning. Or it has a limited slip diff it puts pressure on, I know they are some hard to get stuck lol.

Not an issue just me being curious

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
When did you last change the oil in the front diff?
I checked it yesturday, looks like new. This isn't a new thing this was like this from new thus why I'm curious how it's designed. It's not a sound of bad just a sound of alot of stuff happening. Thus the curiosity

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
It’s the bi speed steering. The roar is probably coming from the increase in the speed of the gears.
Messicks has some videos about it on the Kubotas.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
It’s the bi speed steering. The roar is probably coming from the increase in the speed of the gears.
Messicks has some videos about it on the Kubotas.
It happens regardless of if that's engaged so my guess is part of that always engages at a certain angle regardless of weather it's in that 4wd mode or not and the little switch must just engage it to the faster spinning gears. Interesting indeed

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's happening when the bi speed is not engaged then it's the limited slip making the noise.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
If it's happening when the bi speed is not engaged then it's the limited slip making the noise.
Yea if it's limited slip which I assume it is then that would mean theres more pressure in there even in 2wd. I also find it interesting that the front end can be kubotas transmission/hydraulic fluid or gear oil. Being as I'm in canada and winters are cold I will probably stick with the hydraulic/trans as that's what most machines use in thoes front ends around here.

Reactions: 1 user