M5640SU

mark572516

Feb 26, 2024
Ohio
I am considering the purchase of a used 2013 Kubota M5640SU two wheel drive. My question is will this model pull an 8 ft tandem disc, and a 3 x 13 moldboard plow?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Soil conditions play a huge roll in what a tractor can do or not do.
what kind of soil do you have and how much land are you working?

mark572516

Feb 26, 2024
Ohio
Soil conditions play a huge roll in what a tractor can do or not do.
what kind of soil do you have and how much land are you working?
I have some clay content in the soil. I have a half acre garden plot that I disc every year. I have a six and a half acre hay field that I may replant in a few years.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
It sounds as though you already have the disc and plow, what size tractor are you currently using? Don't let the tail wag the dog, meaning get the right equipment for the tasks at hand. The disc works better with a more aggressive bite but needs more power. Consider buying a 4WD and if the soil is compacted use a subsoiler first.

mark572516

Feb 26, 2024
Ohio
It sounds as though you already have the disc and plow, what size tractor are you currently using? Don't let the tail wag the dog, meaning get the right equipment for the tasks at hand. The disc works better with a more aggressive bite but needs more power. Consider buying a 4WD and if the soil is compacted use a subsoiler first.
I have a massey ferguson 65.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I don't think I would use the loader very often. I am short on space in the barn to park the tractor. i believe loader would make it too long.
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that anyone with a loader uses it all the time for everything you had no idea a loader could do until you owned one. I'd never go without one, world's best labour saving device.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that anyone with a loader uses it all the time for everything you had no idea a loader could do until you owned one. I'd never go without one, world's best labour saving device.
That's how it went for me. The first couple tractors had no loader. got by with a 3-point scoop and a homemade boom pole.

Next tractor had a loader with a pin-on bucket. Made a tooth bar for it and didn't do much that the bucket couldn't handle.

Next tractor had a loader with pin-on bucket but made a few implements that fastened to the bucket. At that point a QA bucket would have made life a little easier.

Current tractor has a loader with a QA bucket and it really expanded the capabilities. Made an 8' power angle snow plow, brush forks, and have another QA frame in the works for adapting some of the 3-point equipment for front use. This past year I added a linear actuator so swapping stuff can be done without getting out of the tractor (except for the hydraulic lines on the plow of course).

The reason I brought up the loader was because I wouldn't recommend 2WD with a loader.