m5400 how woods

Ackorange

Equipment
M5400 4x4 with loader & hoe, box blade, old MF1010
May 25, 2023
Nantucket
So my tractor is well used. Hr meter went long ago. I am having a real issue with keeping my how in place. it keeps loosing pressure. What ever ive done wrong I have done it well. My legs dont work well either. Then we come to the joy stick on the tractor it squirts hydraulic fluid like water! out of a squirt gun, but this is another issue. Any thoughts??? m

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you don’t want spam I’d recommend you edit your post and remove your email address…if its your ex’s or something disregard.

There is a Private Message function that allows members to contact each other without sharing email.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
So your backhoe won’t stay in place. I assume that’s leaking down while not running as opposed to being uncontrollable while you’re operating it?

Your legs don’t work well. Hopefully that’s the backhoe stabilizers, not the legs you walk on. What are they doing that doesn’t work well? Are they leaking down? If yes, during operation or just when not running?

The joystick shoots out hydraulic fluid like water out of a squirt gun (but that’s unrelated). This joystick; I assume that’s the loader valve, not one of the controls on the backhoe. What has led you to the conclusion this issue is unrelated to the issues with the backhoe?

I’m certainly open to correction from others more knowledgeable but I believe your 5400 has open center hydraulics like pretty much every tractor in that size range. The hydraulics are daisy chained such that the pressure line runs to loader valve first with a power beyond outlet that sends pressure to backhoe, rear SCVs, etc. with 3 point usually being last in the circuit (and of course the backhoe taking the 3 point’s place in the circuit when it’s on the machine). Regardless the exact order of the that circuit, if you have one part of it shooting hydraulic oil at you, it’s not at all unlikely to negatively impact the performance of other hydraulic functions on the tractor even if they “appear” to be unrelated to each other. That daisy chain open center arrangement means all of the hydraulic stuff on your tractor is related to each other to some degree.

So, two points:

1. A little unclear on the details of the problems. Some more detail might help get better answers there if you need more help.

2. The joystick that’s shooting hydraulic fluid willy nilly… fix it. Fix the known problems with the circuit first. You may have additional problems but then again you may not. If you have questions on how to fix it, some detail of where it is on the tractor and where exactly the discharge is coming from (photos are really helpful there) will get you more answers and better answers.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea we are going to need a lot more info to be able to help you out, pictures help too!

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
How bout a pic of where the joystick leaks ? SO when ya go to use the hoe & ya put the stabilizers down , do the legs start to retract without using the control ?
animal Have you replaced or moved any or the hoses recently . When did this start . Did it start all of a sudden or did you do some work on it & then the problems started ?
animals45

Ackorange

Equipment
M5400 4x4 with loader & hoe, box blade, old MF1010
May 25, 2023
Nantucket
So your backhoe won’t stay in place. I assume that’s leaking down while not running as opposed to being uncontrollable while you’re operating it?

Your legs don’t work well. Hopefully that’s the backhoe stabilizers, not the legs you walk on. What are they doing that doesn’t work well? Are they leaking down? If yes, during operation or just when not running?

The joystick shoots out hydraulic fluid like water out of a squirt gun (but that’s unrelated). This joystick; I assume that’s the loader valve, not one of the controls on the backhoe. What has led you to the conclusion this issue is unrelated to the issues with the backhoe?

I’m certainly open to correction from others more knowledgeable but I believe your 5400 has open center hydraulics like pretty much every tractor in that size range. The hydraulics are daisy chained such that the pressure line runs to loader valve first with a power beyond outlet that sends pressure to backhoe, rear SCVs, etc. with 3 point usually being last in the circuit (and of course the backhoe taking the 3 point’s place in the circuit when it’s on the machine). Regardless the exact order of the that circuit, if you have one part of it shooting hydraulic oil at you, it’s not at all unlikely to negatively impact the performance of other hydraulic functions on the tractor even if they “appear” to be unrelated to each other. That daisy chain open center arrangement means all of the hydraulic stuff on your tractor is related to each other to some degree.

So, two points:

1. A little unclear on the details of the problems. Some more detail might help get better answers there if you need more help.

2. The joystick that’s shooting hydraulic fluid willy nilly… fix it. Fix the known problems with the circuit first. You may have additional problems but then again you may not. If you have questions on how to fix it, some detail of where it is on the tractor and where exactly the discharge is coming from (photos are really helpful there) will get you more answers and better answers.
Hello I did not think about the closed system.I will need to rebuild the master controller that runs the bucket and rotation. That's were it leaks badly. I did not think that about the closed system. Ill fix that and reboot the system. Thx