M5 tires,

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
Hello evryone,
I recently got an M5-91 mostly for brush on a 56 acres parcel
It came equipped with GoodYear R1 tires that are pretty good in summer but now in winter are pretty usless where I live. I have an uphill driveway around 2500' long and I would like to use the rear blade for small amounts of snow but with a little bit of ice on the ground, I could barely drive uphill .
I read some great reviews about the Nokian tires and would like to know where I can get a quote and get these in the State ? Really appreciate your help

Attachments

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
Thank you for you reply. I am looking at the chains as well but tires would be my option due to the fact these tires are pretty damaging on th grass, primarly what I am doing with this tractor now.

Thank you again

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you want someone to recommend a dealer for tires in your state, you need to tell your location

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
I am in the Catskills NY but willing to travel few hundreds miles if needed.
I asked around the dealers but no luck. They are telling me that only in Canada you can get these.
Thank you

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nokia is not the only company making a tire like you are looking for. Michelin makes several different types like that which are very popular on construction equipment. There are others too. Look at tire dealers for truck and heavy equipment, not Kubota dealers to find the tires you want.

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I made few calls and surprisingly, I have two shops as you mentioned few miles away from me.
I found two options that I think would work for me.
Goodyear R14 -$3500
Nokia TRI 2 -$5500
The Goodyear are in back order
but the Nokian are available right now.
The will give me $2000 for the original tires (460/85r30 rear 320/85r24 front Goodyear optitrac R1) with less than 10 hours on Question is , is Nokian worth $2000 more just brush cutting and some snow pushing ?? The tractor will see less than 100 hours a year. I am looking for something that would grip well in winter and tear the grass as little is possible. Thank you for your suggestions.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
If you are looking to have the least amount of damage to the lawn I would say the Nokia tri-2. I really do not think you will see a big difference in grass destruction between the R14 and your R1s.

Maybe your best solution are turfs with chains in the winter???

Reactions: 1 user

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
If you are looking to have the least amount of damage to the lawn I would say the Nokia tri-2. I really do not think you will see a big difference in grass destruction between the R14 and your R1s.

Maybe your best solution are turfs with chains in the winter???
Turf tires where my first option but I have a backhoe and when we installed the turf tires we realized that backhoe frames was sitting about 4-5” off the ground. I need to stick with a higher clearance tire
I have turf tires and chains on the B2650 with the snowblower in the front. They are making some good marks but been a light tractor, I can live with it.

I am trying to educate myself and based on what I see, I tend to believe that Goodyear would be a softer compound than Nokia. I was even looking at Michelin Evobib but no luck finding it.
Would be nice to find a shop that has them in stock, look and touch them before making a decision.
I really need to make the right decision, is no a cheap play. Thank you again for your suggestions.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Thank you again for your suggestions.
I will tell you that I have the R4s (similar to the 14s) on my L4400 and they TEAR up the grass when I'm working around the house. Particularly, the front tires when turning--moving back and forth. FYI

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
I will tell you that I have the R4s (similar to the 14s) on my L4400 and they TEAR up the grass when I'm working around the house. Particularly, the front tires when turning--moving back and forth. FYI
Thank you ,
I am not considering the 14th's anymore. I made my mind and I will go with Nokian TRI 2

Now the little problem that I have is that ,, they do not have the exact tire size and I have to go a little bit wider. I am perfectly ok with this as long I can match the ratio.

I have
320/85 R24 in the front ( rolling circumference = 3454 mm and static load radius =518mm)
460/85R30 in the back ( rolling circumference = 4572mm and static load raduis =686mm)
After I did the ratio based on both dimensions I came up with a ratio of 1.324 more or less few decimals.

Nokia offers
340/80R24 in the front (rolling circumference = 3487 mm and static load radius =532mm )
480/80R30 in the back (rolling circumference = 4631mm and static load radius =694mm )

Now ,
when a calculate the Nokia ratios based on rolling circumference, the ratio comes to 1.328 what I consider pretty closed to original 1.324.
when I calculate the ratio based on static load radius , the ratio comes to 1.304.

My question is,
- do you think that they, Nokia, may have posted a number the wrong ?
- do you think that the front tires on Nokia are less affected by the satic load ?
- should I take my decission based on static load raduis or rolling circumference ?

They have a tire for the front 420/65 R24 that, if I use their static load ratio,, I could get to 1.32 ratio.
The problem with this tire is that it require a W12 rim minimum and I believe my OEm rim is a W10.

I know that is a long reply and I apologize for it. In the same time I really appreciate your input.
Thank you Gents.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I know that is a long reply and I apologize for it. In the same time I really appreciate your input.
Thank you Gents.
I would start a new thread on this subject to catch the attention of those with knowledge on this issue. Perhaps 'tire ratio issues'

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
I would start a new thread on this subject to catch the attention of those with knowledge on this issue. Perhaps 'tire ratio issues'

Thank you for the suggestion and help but I already made a call on this.
Nokian 340 front and 480 in the back.
The guy that sell them put me in contact with the Nokian distributor and the guy told me that, is what they install in Canad, Europe as a replacement and is they clossest to the oem sizes. He also told me that Rolling circumference is what they use to find the right ratio.
Static load ratio can be afftected by what implements you have front or back and, or air pressure. They should be coming and installed next week.

Thank you for all your help Gents.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Looking forward to hearing your experience with these tires when you get them! I’d love to have a set, I priced them a few years ago for about $7g cdn…. No trade in on used R1’s.
i have 420/85r30 rear and 360/70r20’s on front so a bit different than yours in RC, I’d think you’ll be fine!

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
Looking forward to hearing your experience with these tires when you get them! I’d love to have a set, I priced them a few years ago for about $7g cdn…. No trade in on used R1’s.
i have 420/85r30 rear and 360/70r20’s on front so a bit different than yours in RC, I’d think you’ll be fine!

I will definetely post few pics and some honest words about it. Lets hope is not going to be a complete lost of money.
They give me $2000 for the 4 stock tires and I have to pay another $3350 on top. US $.
Dealer told me that, it is much more difficult to get The AG 1 tires then the Nokian.
I am pretty sure the price has very much to do with.

Kubotica

Equipment
B2650, M5-91
Jan 23, 2022
Catskills
I will definetely post few pics and some honest words about it. Lets hope is not going to be a complete lost of money.
They give me $2000 for the 4 stock tires and I have to pay another $3350 on top. US $.
Dealer told me that, it is much more difficult to get The AG 1 tires then the Nokian.
I am pretty sure the price has very much to do with.

Finally up and running, Definitely worth the money. Real smooth on gravel road and I would say that the traction increase by a lot. It is hard to determine by how much but let's say that on the same hill the rear does not slide sideways anymore. Just grips and pulls. I still think the tractor needs at list 5-600 lbs of weights in the rear to make it more balance for pulling and counteract for the loader. Overall the tire is about 1 1/2" shorter and I can feel that it has a little bit more torque. I run 25psi for now but I will do a chalk test after I install the extra weights in the back. I am most likely going for the cast iron wights. Like the idea of been able to take them off if needed.
I took few sharp turns on a patch of grass to see the impact but is pretty much useless when the ground is frozen
Now, I wish Kubota offered these tires in the State and install some real LED lights from the start. Would a save mew few pennies
IMG_3190.jpg
IMG_3193.jpg

Schaatsen

Equipment
M5-111, ZD1211, BX23S
Aug 6, 2022
Sumas, WA
Finally up and running, Definitely worth the money. Real smooth on gravel road and I would say that the traction increase by a lot. It is hard to determine by how much but let's say that on the same hill the rear does not slide sideways anymore. Just grips and pulls. I still think the tractor needs at list 5-600 lbs of weights in the rear to make it more balance for pulling and counteract for the loader. Overall the tire is about 1 1/2" shorter and I can feel that it has a little bit more torque. I run 25psi for now but I will do a chalk test after I install the extra weights in the back. I am most likely going for the cast iron wights. Like the idea of been able to take them off if needed.
I took few sharp turns on a patch of grass to see the impact but is pretty much useless when the ground is frozen
Now, I wish Kubota offered these tires in the State and install some real LED lights from the start. Would a save mew few pennies
View attachment 75360 View attachment 75361
I purchased an M5-111, at the end of 2020, and took delivery within 4 weeks. Before I took delivery, I did the footwork to order the Nokian TRI (near-identical to the TRI2, except the tread lugs are siped during manufacture.

My hay supplier worked a deal with me to exchange the take-off's for 70 bales of haylage (I was hoping for an amount closer to low retail, but beggars can't be choosy).

The TRI tires allow the tractor to float like turf tires on soggy grass, and the side-to-side traction was superb when I used it in a cross-current of swift-moving water, 3' deep, during the rescue of the Sumas flood of Nov 2022!

These tires DO make the ride on a paved road like that of a car!