M5-111 Error code headaches

Tex66

Equipment
M5-111, M4800, RTV900, ZG227,Allis Chalmers Grader, J.D. 300B Backhoe/,Loader
Oct 30, 2018
Tyler, TX
If there are any M5 owners on the forum, I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar problems. My 2018 M5-111 has less than 250 hrs. Recently started throwing diagnostic trouble code P206A with an SCR-abnormality warning indicator and a 120 minute countdown timer til power is limited to 50% and then complete shutdown. The manual said it could be DEF quality, so I tried draining and re-filling the DEF tank with fresh DEF. Didn't clear the code. Called the dealer, and the service manager says they received a bulletin on this issue (so I assume other M5 owners are unhappy too) and they will repair under warranty. That's the good news and I appreciate them honoring the SCR warranty. The bad news is that the tractor has been in their shop for going on three weeks, and they tell me they are waiting on parts from Kubota which may not arrive until week after next. Could be 4 to 5 weeks in the shop, for a 18 mo old tractor, which I really need right now. I didn't buy it to park it in their shop. Sounds like they had to tear down and reassemble the SCR system, replacing some parts, but I have received no assurances that this issue won't happen again in 18 months or in another 250 hours. And what about when I'm out of warranty. This sounds like a $1000+ repair and another month down-time. I know many of these Tier 4F engines have issues, but now I'm second guessing my decision to buy orange instead of green. Anyone else seen this issue?

Ranch Annie

Equipment
Kubota M5-111
Feb 6, 2021
Alberta
We had same issues. Service guy came out and changed the DEF injector and a couple sensors. Finally fixed the problem. Good thing it has warranty for a few extra years on that system itself, because the system sucks, like every other DEF system known to man. We are saving the planet, one plastic jug at a time.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Emissions warranty is 5 years on everything and color don't matter a bit. they are all having issues., orange, green, blue, red, all the same issues I think I'd request a loaner from the dealer and Kubota should cover it.

One jug at a time, like that. No jugs here. both mine are pre 4. I do use old date DEF however. I spray it on my hay as a foliar innoculant. Excellent through leaf absorbtion / uptake. 10 gallons to 200 gallons of water in the spray rig.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
well there 'was' a big recall on def system parts. It was, as I understand it, redacted because the parts are not available. LOL, about right for Kubota issue a recall and then back up and say we can't do it because we ain't got the parts. Actually I saw it with Deere and Kawasaki too and Ford. So it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Deere has the same-and more-problems so if you had bought one of those, you'd be in the same situation most likely. Even some of the DEF stuff is the exact same, Bosch, Denso, etc.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
If there are any M5 owners on the forum, I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar problems. My 2018 M5-111 has less than 250 hrs. Recently started throwing diagnostic trouble code P206A with an SCR-abnormality warning indicator and a 120 minute countdown timer til power is limited to 50% and then complete shutdown. The manual said it could be DEF quality, so I tried draining and re-filling the DEF tank with fresh DEF. Didn't clear the code. Called the dealer, and the service manager says they received a bulletin on this issue (so I assume other M5 owners are unhappy too) and they will repair under warranty. That's the good news and I appreciate them honoring the SCR warranty. The bad news is that the tractor has been in their shop for going on three weeks, and they tell me they are waiting on parts from Kubota which may not arrive until week after next. Could be 4 to 5 weeks in the shop, for a 18 mo old tractor, which I really need right now. I didn't buy it to park it in their shop. Sounds like they had to tear down and reassemble the SCR system, replacing some parts, but I have received no assurances that this issue won't happen again in 18 months or in another 250 hours. And what about when I'm out of warranty. This sounds like a $1000+ repair and another month down-time. I know many of these Tier 4F engines have issues, but now I'm second guessing my decision to buy orange instead of green. Anyone else seen this issue?
Interesting.

I was considering an M5-111HDC24 but will now put any such ideas on hold.

FWIW: My 2018 B3350 was in the shop for 12 straight weeks in 2019, nearly all of the mowing season, for emissions issues. As a result, I effectively lost 50% of the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, 20% of the 5 year emissions warranty and 1/6 of the 6 year power train warranty. Tractor had about 35 hours at the time and now has about 65 hours. I have zero confidence that such issues have been permanently resolved. Repairs would have totaled around $7,000 if not for warranty.

SDT

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
There are deletes available. You may have to send your computer across a border.
The delete and tune will save you fuel and if you want, increase HP all at the same time. I know my plan when non warranty repairs are required on the emmissions system.
Downtime is expensive even if the repair is free.
It worked great on the VW. Made it into a real car, tons of low end torque and better fuel mileage.
I think these DEF systems are even more troublesome than the DPF cans though.
Chime in the Tier 4 haters, but some of us had no option to purchase one as the used market is not there if you don’t want to wait or want wore out junk or travel 1000’s of miles.... the tier 4 solution is not much more expensive than that travelling and floating for that used machine :)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
There are deletes available. You may have to send your computer across a border.
The delete and tune will save you fuel and if you want, increase HP all at the same time. I know my plan when non warranty repairs are required on the emmissions system.
Downtime is expensive even if the repair is free.
It worked great on the VW. Made it into a real car, tons of low end torque and better fuel mileage.
I think these DEF systems are even more troublesome than the DPF cans though.
Chime in the Tier 4 haters, but some of us had no option to purchase one as the used market is not there if you don’t want to wait or want wore out junk or travel 1000’s of miles.... the tier 4 solution is not much more expensive than that travelling and floating for that used machine :)
Deletes available for the M5-111?

I know of none.

SDT

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
My M5-091 had similar issues shortly after buying it in 2016. Warranty work fixed it for the most part (still beeps at me if I let the DEF tank get below 1/2) hasn’t thrown any codes since the last fix but supposedly I’m in the same queu as everyone else for the so called permanent fix in the latest recall. Thanks for the link to Reimer. I’ll be using their services with this years crop money. 😏

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
My M5-091 had similar issues shortly after buying it in 2016. Warranty work fixed it for the most part (still beeps at me if I let the DEF tank get below 1/2) hasn’t thrown any codes since the last fix but supposedly I’m in the same queu as everyone else for the so called permanent fix in the latest recall. Thanks for the link to Reimer. I’ll be using their services with this years crop money. 😏
is this perm fix the DEF Insulation?

jimr63

Equipment
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
is this perm fix the DEF Insulation?
No, they have already done that recall and installed the insulation. The new recall changes out the header unit inside the DEF tank I'm told.

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
No, they have already done that recall and installed the insulation. The new recall changes out the header unit inside the DEF tank I'm told.
My dealer told me the only recall for my m5111 is the insulation. All others are called "fix if failed" only meaning they don't replace unless they fail.

I think I'm just gonna bite the reimer tuning bullet when my tractor arrives. What scares me is that the dealership may deny to work on my tractor after doing the delete

jimr63

Equipment
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
My dealer told me the only recall for my m5111 is the insulation. All others are called "fix if failed" only meaning they don't replace unless they fail.

I think I'm just gonna bite the reimer tuning bullet when my tractor arrives. What scares me is that the dealership may deny to work on my tractor after doing the delete
They may have changed it to a "fix when fail" because they don't have enough stock to replace them all at once. Their loss if they won't work on the tractor when the tractor is out of warranty anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there were bulletins issued for SCR system failures, on M's and SVL's

call the dealer with your serial number and tell 'em what's going on, then ask them if there is any bulletin that addresses your issue.