M4700 Front Axle Oil level

GaryR

Equipment
M 4700
Aug 17, 2021
Cole Camp Mo
Hey Guys, just a quick question about the oil level in the front axle. I have a slow leak in the left side wheel assembly and want to make sure not to run the axle low on gear oil. My problem is there is no plug or dip stick to check the oil level, the dealer says to drain it and put in the amount the manual says is capacity. Is there any other way to make sure there is the correct amount in the axle. if I put in too much it leaks out the propeller shaft housing. I would appreciate any thoughts.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Must be a fill plug somewhere....

Can you see fluid in the axle below the fill? Can on my little machine, but doesn't mean all that way.

If so, fashion a makeshift dipstick from a piece of wooden dowel, long screwdriver, etc.

Mark it with a Sharpie that "this" level is okay. Just insert to same point each time - e.g. until bottoms out, etc.

May not be exact, be can gauge whether level is too low.

GaryR

Equipment
M 4700
Aug 17, 2021
Cole Camp Mo
Must be a fill plug somewhere....

Could you fashion a makeshift dipstick from a piece of wooden dowel, long screwdriver, etc.?

Mark it with a Sharpie that "this" level is okay?

May not be exact, be can gauge whether level is too low?
There is a plug on top of the axle housing and I use a long screwdriver to make sure there is oil in there but should there 2 inches or 4 inches or what is the correct depth.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
EDIT BAD INFO REPLACED:
On your model fluid is shared throughout.
So filling center fills outer cases, this is not the case in all models.

If you're putting fluid in the center and you leaking out the propeller shaft you have a problem, you have a damaged seal and it needs fixed.
If you have a leak on a case ( which it sounds like you do) it too needs fixed.
Drain, refill and monitor.

Last edited:

GaryR

Equipment
M 4700
Aug 17, 2021
Cole Camp Mo
EDIT BAD INFO REPLACED:
On your model fluid is shared throughout.
So filling center fills outer cases, this is not the case in all models.

If you're putting fluid in the center and you leaking out the propeller shaft you have a problem, you have a damaged seal and it needs fixed.
If you have a leak on a case ( which it sounds like you do) it too needs fixed.
Drain, refill and monitor.
Ok Wolfman, on the right and left cases there are two plugs, one to drain the case and one to fill the case, if I got that right. Now on the center case which is the long what I would call the axle case there is only the one plug on top and no way to check for correct oil level. I can't fill the right or left cases to fill the center case because the oil runs out of the top fill plug on the R and L case. I may be missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok Wolfman, on the right and left cases there are two plugs, one to drain the case and one to fill the case, if I got that right. Now on the center case which is the long what I would call the axle case there is only the one plug on top and no way to check for correct oil level. I can't fill the right or left cases to fill the center case because the oil runs out of the top fill plug on the R and L case. I may be missing something.
Apologies:
Egg on my face.
Your model shares the same fluid across the whole axle.
On your model there is one fill point ( top, side of center case) and 2 drain points (bottom of R & L Cases)
So drain both the right and left cases at the same time, then refill with apropriate amont.
Let it sit or run it around a bit and then check the level.

1684345756689.png