LX3310 HST Whine

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
Test drove an open station LX3310 the other day. Noticed that the HST had an annoyingly loud whine in high that was less annoying in medium, and barely noticeable in low. I asked the dealer about this specifically and he attributed the loud whine to the fact that the engine was so much quieter compared to other tractors. Basically saying that the engine being so quiet was the only reason the HST seemed so loud. This was at the very end of my test run so didn't have a chance to specifically listen for that. I didn't think too much more of it at the time, but got to wondering afterwards if he was just blowing smoke, or if that really is the case. I wish I was able to test that out...but I'm not. Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The HST seems louder when working harder - as in higher ranges. I've not tried other tractors to compare noise levels but the Kubota HST is LOUD. Either the noise diminishes over time or you become accustomed to it. I have read that using SUDT2 fluid will reduce the whine. Since that's all Kubota seems to have now I'm pretty sure that's what's in my tractor already.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
There is a guy that regularly posts on YouTube with his cabbed tactor that had a considerably loud HST whine. Few months later now, I don't hear it as much.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Just watch some YouTube videos and you'll hear that loud whine...I'm sure that current owners will say that you'll get 'used to it' but there's no denying that the LX has a distinctively loud HST whine.

The whine wouldn't keep me from owning one, however; my B2601 HST has a 'treadle pedal' issue while trying to reverse that is probably as annoying as a loud whiney transmission would be.

There's trade-offs everywhere you look! :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Test drove an open station LX3310 the other day. Noticed that the HST had an annoyingly loud whine in high that was less annoying in medium, and barely noticeable in low.
I am much more aware of the sound of the HST in the MX6000HSTC than I ever was in the MX6000HST and I have a similar number of hours on both machines (~110 hours). The noise of the engine in the open station model, combined with the lack of amplification or at least concentration caused by the cab went a long way to masking HST whine. HST whine is a byproduct of the convenience of that kind of transmission. With the HST noise absent in the M6060 I notice other noises such as the sound of the power steering pump. It seems reasonable that the rate at which hydraulic oil is being pumped around the system is going to make a difference to the amount of noise generated.

These tractors are tools and not cars, trucks or SUVs so they lack many of the sound mitigation features or design inherent to modern automobiles. Shoving a head unit in the cab and adding other convenience features such as USB ports, cup holders, heat and a/c etc., tricks some into thinking that these tools are like modern day cars and trucks. They're not.

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just watch some YouTube videos and you'll hear that loud whine...I'm sure that current owners will say that you'll get 'used to it' but there's no denying that the LX has a distinctively loud HST whine.

The whine wouldn't keep me from owning one, however; my B2601 HST has a 'treadle pedal' issue while trying to reverse that is probably as annoying as a loud whiney transmission would be.

There's trade-offs everywhere you look! :rolleyes:
If only there was a reasonable way.........to get rid of the Daam treadle pedal!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Nature of the beast. I dont even hear mine anymore. Especially with noise cancelling headphones and music going!

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I had a LX2610 and found it to be louder than my LX3310 but it's by no means quiet. I wear hearing protection and like @mcmxi mentioned, different machinery makes different sounds and most of it isn't good for your hearing anyway.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If you are operating an HST without ear protection, you WILL regret it. The only question is, "When?".

And if you think wearing ear protection is for sissies, you are an idiot.

By the way, you need muffs, not plugs. Plugs are light years better than nothing, but they don't protect the mastoid bone (right behind your ear), which conducts a lot of sound to your cochlea.

Reactions: 1 users

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm less concerned about it after reading your thoughts.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Grand L 60 series Kubota tractors have the quietest HST probably offered anywhere. The standard L and smaller tractors have noisy HST whine. My MX6000 cab doesn't seem bad. The higher ranges will amplify it, because there is more hydraulic pressure needed to move the machine. Don't use high range at low RPM.

Your dealer is lying, some HST units are quieter than others. I wouldn't make that claim at all.

Reactions: 2 users

RCKM

Equipment
2022 L3302, LP B1260 Box Blade, LP 0660 Grapple, Rear Blade, Pallet Forks
Jul 7, 2022
Eastern WI
L3302 isnt very quite either!
True that! B2650 didn’t seem as loud. However, it does seem to be getting quieter at 30 hours. Either that or I’m getting used to it. Totally subjective though. Been meaning to get a decibel meter for guns and other stuff. Now I have another reason.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I noticed a slight decrease when I did a complete fluid and filter change, not just what manual recommended, at the 50 hour mark.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I noticed a slight decrease when I did a complete fluid and filter change, not just what manual recommended, at the 50 hour mark.
I’ve noticed reduced whine each time I’ve changed fluid. Did change at 50 hours also years ago.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Test drove an open station LX3310 the other day. Noticed that the HST had an annoyingly loud whine in high that was less annoying in medium, and barely noticeable in low. I asked the dealer about this specifically and he attributed the loud whine to the fact that the engine was so much quieter compared to other tractors. Basically saying that the engine being so quiet was the only reason the HST seemed so loud. This was at the very end of my test run so didn't have a chance to specifically listen for that. I didn't think too much more of it at the time, but got to wondering afterwards if he was just blowing smoke, or if that really is the case. I wish I was able to test that out...but I'm not. Thoughts?
Kubota says that the new HST in the forthcoming LX 3520 and 4020 is designed to be significantly less noisy.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Kubota says that the new HST in the forthcoming LX 3520 and 4020 is designed to be significantly less noisy.
That's why I laughed when the OP's dealer told him "there's no excessive whine, it's just the engine is quieter" then at the Kubota Connect dealer meeting they are bragging about the new transmission that is going to be much quieter.