LX3310 HST Whine

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
I only ever seem to use Medium on my L3301 but when I start to go up a hill or push something the whine is noticeably louder. I was worried too at first but wear headphones and have forgotten its even there....

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I only ever seem to use Medium on my L3301 but when I start to go up a hill or push something the whine is noticeably louder. I was worried too at first but wear headphones and have forgotten its even there....
I was running the MX in mid range today and noticed a lot of HST whine coming back up the driveway which is fairly steep. The tractor has ballast in the rear tires, wheel weights, a front snow blade and a rear blower and that's a lot of weight to move. When I changed the transmission to low range the whine all but went away. I think I'll stay in low range for winter use.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I was running the MX in mid range today and noticed a lot of HST whine coming back up the driveway which is fairly steep. The tractor has ballast in the rear tires, wheel weights, a front snow blade and a rear blower and that's a lot of weight to move. When I changed the transmission to low range the whine all but went away. I think I'll stay in low range for winter use.
I rarely use anything but Low Range on my LX2610SU. I have no cab, and having read a few stories, pretty glad I don't. Apparently the howl is a lot worse in a cab model. If I'm just pulling my trailer to haul yard waste, I run in Medium Range, but typically never above half throttle. My property is just too rough to go fast on it, not to mention too many stationary objects (trees) waiting for a close encounter. I think I've had it in High Range twice now, with nearly 200 hours on the ticker. That was to go up the street to help a neighbor and then to come home. But yes, the howl is a lot worse in the higher ranges, for the very reason stated that it takes more hydraulic pressure to move the machine with a higher gear ratio. Most of my work is digging out stumps with a stump bucket and subsoiler up to now. But I just got a grapple this week so that's about to change a little. Pretty sure I'll still be in low range, though.

I do wear hearing protection, albeit, I destroyed my hearing a long time ago thanks to ventilation fans in switchgear rooms at the Saturn Plant in Springhill, TN. If OSHA had any good ideas, hearing protection is one of them. Tinnitus SUCKS!

Reactions: 1 user

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Ditto Evad, on the L3301. When I changed the fluid in the hst I went back with the Super udt oil, which some say quiets the whine somewhat, mine did not. When working the tractor and it gets good and warmed it gets very loud. Most of my work is bush hogging on mostly flat ground and in M range.
rr