LX2610 or LX3310

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
FWIW, I run a 5 foot rotary cutter and 5 foot finish mower (see signature) with my LX 2610 SU without any issues over rolling terrain (most would say it has hills). I have reclaimed three small fields (8-9 acres total). 6-7 acres involved mowing down weeds and briars that were 3-4 feet tall; I had to repeatedly stop to blow chaff off the grill, radiator and engine with a leaf blower. I mowed all of that with the rotary cutter in M with no struggling, excess HST whine or slowing down. When I mowed an unrelated area near the main road, I did take it slow or took half cuts through very dense green 3+ foot tall fescue; otherwise, dense green fescue 1.5 feet tall was mowed at normal speed with a full cut.

Would the extra PTO HP of an LX 3310 have helped in any of those situation - maybe, maybe not. When I was cutting the high dense green fescue, I was mostly going slow to allow the rotary cutter to clear the cuttings. It was not bogging down, but I was concerned that the amount of grass might prevent it from clearing the cuttings. It was not really a matter of power; it was waiting for enough rotations of the blades to clear the debris.

If you forgo having a mid-PTO for a mower deck, the LX SU is substantially less expensive, and it comes with bigger tires that cannot be used with a MMM. Mowing with a rear finish mower is such a pleasant experience while mowing and mounting/dismounting especially with a Quick Hitch.

BTW - I mow with my loader on the tractor with the grapple. It is handy to move a newly fallen limb or other obstacles.

Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi,

I currently have a B3200 with a MMM 72" and a 5' Bush hog. I primary use the tractor to mow my 3 acre house and manage my 400 acre deer property. I'm looking to upgrade to a LX2610 or a LX3310. The salesman is recommending the LX2610 but I have concerns with downgrading HP/ PTO HP with the deer property. When I mow the 10 acres of food plots the plots are normally between 3-5'. My B3200 has no problem cutting the tall fields in Med range. My fear of purchasing the LX2610 is that it will bog down cutting the plots in Med range and if that happens I will not be happy with the tractor.

I'm also looking to purchase the FEL so I can do more work on the deer property. From what I've researched most people are recommending 5 PTO HP per foot of a bush hog. If that is true then the LX2610 will be to small at 19hp for the PTO.

There is about a $4k difference between the two tractors.

Please let me know if you need anymore information to help me with my purchase.
Thanks
The most commonly heard complaint about the B2650/LX2610 is lack of power by folks with unreasonable expectations. These are 19.5 PTO HP tractors and considerably less HP will be available to do work when one loads one down with FEL, ballast, cab, etc., and operates air conditioning.

The 3310 has 38.5% more PTO HP. This is an enormous difference.

Yes, folks do operate 5' rotary cutters with both models but Kubota does not recommend anything larger than a 48" rough cut rotary mower with the 3310, let alone the 2610. I do sometimes operate a 5' cutter with my 3350 and can tell you that it's all it wants in some conditions.

Keep in mind that heavy grass cuts MUCH harder than does tall weeds/brush.

SDT

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I had a B2601 (19 PTO HP), the two highest PTO load attachments I used on it were the 60" tiller & 48" brush hog. It ran them all just fine. No problem moving 100 tons of dirt in a day with it, got it done.

I sold the B2601 because it was incredibly cramped and uncomfortable, not because of lack of power. I moved to the LX3310 for its slightly larger frame size, and did not expect to see a perceptible difference in operation due to power. I was wrong. First time out with the tiller it was obvious. Also, the RPMs do not plummet when getting ambitious on full scoops like they used to on the B2601.

The LX2610 will likely get all your needs done, but if you can afford the extra power I would say "why not". It is one of the things I've come to love the most about the 3310 that I was not expecting.

Reactions: 1 user

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
FWIW, I noticed on some of his videos that Neil Messick has an LX3310 as his personal use tractor. As a guy that has access to every model and has compared models in depth for his vidoes, him choosing the LX3310 is a good indicator that it is a solid choice. I have the 2650 because at the time the 3350 was having so many dpf issues, otherwise I would have gone with the 33 for the extra umph in the same sized package.

davep

Equipment
LX2610SU, RCR1860, BB1260, QH10, CID HBHS, CID CTFF, WR Long RBG2
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
FWIW, I noticed on some of his videos that Neil Messick has an LX3310 as his personal use tractor. As a guy that has access to every model and has compared models in depth for his vidoes, him choosing the LX3310 is a good indicator that it is a solid choice. I have the 2650 because at the time the 3350 was having so many dpf issues, otherwise I would have gone with the 33 for the extra umph in the same sized package.
Yes - as someone who has an LX2610SU, I also wish i got the 3310. I don't need the MMM, but would've liked the extra HP at the PTO and the suspension seat. I am now looking at how to upgrade the seat as well.

Jhtractor

Equipment
2021 LX3310, LA535, RTR1258 tiller, QH10, BB1260, LX2963, PF1242, RCK60
Apr 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Tractor time with Tim also has the LX3310.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
FWIW, I noticed on some of his videos that Neil Messick has an LX3310 as his personal use tractor. As a guy that has access to every model and has compared models in depth for his vidoes, him choosing the LX3310 is a good indicator that it is a solid choice.
I don't that's worth much. He also had a B3350, and we know how that worked for many people. Also, Neil can go borrow a larger tractor if he wants one or even heavy equipment.

At the end of the day, all of the Kubota's are "solid" for their intended use.

Tractor time with Tim also has the LX3310.
I don't think that means much either. Tim also has larger tractors and on his last project used his tiny JD1025R again. I watch most of his tractor videos. He hasn't been lukewarm toward his LX3310 at best.

Chevy1

Equipment
LX3310
May 7, 2022
Mississippi
I've watched a lot of Neil's video's!

lostboy

Equipment
lx2610
Jan 1, 2021
OK
For what it is worth, I believe the LX3310 is fuel injected, the LX2610 is not. Does anybody know if the LX3310 will burn more diesel for a comparable task? Neil gave the impression diesel usage on the LX3310 would not be much more.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I got the LX 2610 but the biggest PTO draw I have is a stump grinder. And the 2610 runs it just fine. I will admit I just did not want to deal with the DPF have had enough emissions challenges with the F350.... My 2 bits of advice however are this.... 1) consider getting a zero turn for mowing by the house. The MMM is in the way when your in the woods. And got the price of the MMM your 1/2 way to the price of a decent mower. 2) get the big tires and have them loaded with RimGuard. I got R4's because the stiffer sidewalls. I was worried about cuts ECT in the woods with R14's. It's unreal how much different feels with the bigger tires.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I got the LX 2610 but the biggest PTO draw I have is a stump grinder. And the 2610 runs it just fine. I will admit I just did not want to deal with the DPF have had enough emissions challenges with the F350.... My 2 bits of advice however are this.... 1) consider getting a zero turn for mowing by the house. The MMM is in the way when your in the woods. And got the price of the MMM your 1/2 way to the price of a decent mower. 2) get the big tires and have them loaded with RimGuard. I got R4's because the stiffer sidewalls. I was worried about cuts ECT in the woods with R14's. It's unreal how much different feels with the bigger tires.
The Carlisle amd galaxy r14s I've used and currently run have just as heavy side walls as any r4 tire I've ever come across.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
The Carlisle amd galaxy r14s I've used and currently run have just as heavy side walls as any r4 tire I've ever come across.
That might be but the Goodyear ones that Kubota uses seem to flex a lot more... Regardless I rarely needed 4Wd to plow snow last Winter...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
For what it is worth, I believe the LX3310 is fuel injected, the LX2610 is not. Does anybody know if the LX3310 will burn more diesel for a comparable task? Neil gave the impression diesel usage on the LX3310 would not be much more.
I had my B2601 for 250 hours (about a year), I have not noticed any significant difference in burn between the two. My anecdotal hunch is the 3310 could be a little more efficient, but those efficiencies are lost during regen so it ends up a wash.

I know when I brush hogged or tilled most of the day with the B2601 it would take about 5 gallons, the LX3310 is the same.

@S-G-R you have been working your new 3310 recently, have you noticed a burn difference between it and your prior LX2610?

I would not let emissions deter away from the lx3310. It has a warranty, and comparing it to a system that uses DPF & DEF like the aforementioned F-350 is apples to oranges. It only has DPF, and its operation is entirely in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
That might be true, but somehow all the recommendations that I've heard say R4s are the tougher tire. Btw, I wasn't really able to find apples to apples comparisons on the Carlisle site.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
All diesel's are fuel injected that's how they work. The difference is the LX2610 is mechanical injection into a precombustion chamber. The LX3310 is direct injection into the cylinder. Also the operator manual warns about interrupting the Regen cycle as it can lead to excessive fuel in the oil.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would not let emissions deter away from the lx3310. It has a warranty, and comparing it to a system that uses DPF & DEF like the aforementioned F-350 is apples to oranges. It only has DPF, and its operation is entirely in the background.
Fwiw, most Fords that had severe emissions issues like the 6.4 didn't use DEF and were completely fine until they weren't. They also had a warranty and worked in the background. Furthermore, the LX is relatively new, so nobody can guarantee an issue won't pop up with the emissions system later.

For many of us, it would take a lot more than a few HP to us to take the chance on a DPF, but everyone gets to make their decision about what is right for them.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Fwiw, most Fords that had severe emissions issues like the 6.4 didn't use DEF and were completely fine until they weren't. ....

Furthermore, the LX is relatively new, so nobody can guarantee an issue won't pop up with the emissions system later.
It's really not though, the 3350 preceded it and kubota had to get that sorted which is where the 3310 came from, so not exactly 'new' by any means. The 6.4 saga was also when emissions was in its infancy, more than a decade ago. Fact is, if you want a new machine, this is the reality, if you don't like it, buy used or buy less HP.

Lastly, any mechanical / electronic system can break, anytime. Unless you buy a machine without solid state ICs from decades ago, they all have parts and ICs that can break, from BX on up.

Last edited:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
When I looked at the R14 and R4 tires offered by Kubota, the R4 tires had a noticeably higher load capacity. The R4 tires would seem to have stronger sidewalls, and that would mostly benefit FEL work - especially the front tires. Is the difference meaningful for most people / most work? I do not know. My exploration of tire choices stopped when the dealer had the tractor I wanted with R4s in stock, and the wait for R14s was very long - decision made. FWIW, I have been very pleased with my R4s.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It's really not though, the 3350 preceded it and kubota had to get that sorted which is where the 3310 came from, so not exactly 'new' by any means.
Kubota actually never fixed the B3350. They abandoned it. It would have been great for the B3350 owners if they did fix it. I feel their handling of the issues is a black eye, but no more than Ford's handling of the 6.4.

The LX also uses different injection technology, but otherwise similar. Note: before you say it's the same technology used in the larger engines remember you can say the same about the B3350. Same technology, different uses, completely different set of issues because users have a completely different way of doing work.

Idling and barely working is not good for DPFs. I'd venture to say larger tractors aren't idled very much. I know I regularly idle my L.

As you say, go with the 2610 if you want to avoid it. Go with the 3310 if you trust the technology. Unfortunately, you have to trade something off for most choices.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
All diesels are fuel injected.

The 3310 is turbo charged, whereas the 2610 is not.

SDT