Lx2610 opinion

Sep 1, 2021
Wi
Hello! First off sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched and couldn’t find any answers. I’m going to be purchasing a new tractor soon. Like everyone else I’m unsure between lx2610 or b2106. I’m going to the local dealer this weekend but would like your opinions first. I think I have watched every YouTube video on these and have a couple of questions. My use would be 75% of the time mowing my yard. About 2 acres and a few trees with some fairly steeper slopes. Currently my cub cadet mower handles the slopes. The other 25% of the time it would be feeding round bales (smaller ones maybe 600-900 lbs) to our 6 cows, cleaning pen, and mowing trail. My questions: in your opinion is the lx2610 too big to be used as a mower? Is the b2601 too small to handle the round bales? Is there another model I should look into? Never owned a kubota before and I realized they have lots of models! It would be nice to have a all around tractor if I’m spending that much on one.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have a 2610 and I love it. Some things you want to consider would be...

loader lift capacity. The Lx has an LA535 loader. It can easily lift 1000 pounds. What loader does the B have?

I got the kubota rear wheel spacers and I think it’s more stable.
I also have the R-14 tires and I like them a lot. Since you will be mowing a lot, maybe don’t get your tires filled.
The 2610 is very maneuverable. I use it to move logs and do tree work all the time. It has plenty of power too.
Obviously the frame size is bigger on the 2610. Better for moving bales etc.

The last thing I would think about is the resale or desire ability of the 2 models. The 2610 is a new model and it’s very popular. I imagine it will be made for many many more years. Not sure about the B model.
In the future, which one will hold its value better? In the resale market, someone might want to upgrade to an LX and probably not to a B

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Oh. And I have a cab. I love it. I will never get a tractor without it. It keeps me cool in the summer, warm in the winter, dry when it rains.
my seat is never wet, the controls aren’t exposed to the elements.
And I’ve even had to deal with hitting a bald face hornet nest. I just kept working while they attacked the loader. I couldn’t imagine being on an open station

the dust and grass doesn’t bother me. I can work all day in comfort

Reactions: 3 users

Sep 1, 2021
Wi
Thanks for the input! You brought up good points I never thought of.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
75% lawn mowing and 25% round bales is a challenging combination.

For 6 cows, you're not handling 3 bales a day, but still want to handle them nonetheless.

A similar question regarding an L2501 and 1,200 pound round bales recently came up.

Can a L2501 Lift a 1200lb large bale 6 inches off of the ground. | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

The LX2610 is basically a re-badged B2650 with some improvements. There are MANY B2650 owners here on OTT, and quite a few with LX2610's.

The LX3310 is a rebadged B3350, with major changes to the engine and emissions system technologies. The B3350 was a lemon, especially in cold climates.

I think Kubota made a wise choice to designate the LX series, as the B2650 and B3350 were a larger frame than the Bxx01 tractors.

Maybe some of the folks with a B2650 could give their opinion on your intended tasks.

I'm guessing an LX2610 to be about 1,800 pounds or so, without loader, ballast, etc.?

Last edited:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I mow 6-6 acres with my LX2610 with turf tires. We have had a lot of rain this summer and the grass has a high moisture content so lot of build up on the deck. It comes off in less than five minutes but going back on takes me longer due to a shoulder injury. Nice even cut with the 60" deck but I am going to a rear finish mower so I don't have to keep pulling the deck weekly to clean it.

The turf tires don't tear up the yard but I have several plugs in the front tires because of thorny bushes.

No complaints on the performance of the tractor and no quality control issues. 165 hours on it in 14 months of ownership. The only two things I'd do differently is forgo the mid-mount mower and swap the turf tires for R14's.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I don't know about lifting the bales with b2601.

MMM wise the B and lx hang different. The B2601 hangs from tractor like a traditional lawn mower. LX I believe when lowered the deck rides on casters mowing floats on the grass.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I owned a 2020 B2601 for 250 hours and now own an LX.

I would get the LX. The LX is not too much tractor to mow with. If a B2601 will fit, then the LX will fit. The size is larger only by inches.

The LA435 loader will be at nearly its max capacity with 900 pound bale. I lifted a 950 pound shipping container with my B2601 and I got it about 2" off the ground to scoot it. The LA 535 will lift slightly more than the LA435 (i think 200 pounds?) so it should do better with your bales, but still may not be ideal.

Comfort: LX wins hands down by a mile. Better seat, slightly roomier operator station, more room at the controls.

For the $2000 or so dollars difference, I think it would be a pound foolish to not pick the LX.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think the LX is too small to easily handle even smaller round bales. You have to lift it high enough to put it in a bale feeder. The center of the weight is half of the length of the bale.

I think it depends on what you call mowing. I think you’d be happier with a bigger tractor or smaller bales. You could mow with an L for instance with a finish mower behind it.

Reactions: 7 users

Sep 1, 2021
Wi
Thanks everyone for your input. For moving bales if I had to use the 3 point that wouldnt be a problem. Of course I would like it better if I could use loader but either way would be fine. For mowing purposes, right now I have a 60” cub cadet lawn tractor but I was thinking if I replace that why not get something that would do all my other needs. I haven’t had time to go look and compare yet and it’s hard to gauge the sizes and capabilities by pictures so I was hoping for owner experiences. I wanted to just make sure I am on the right track and have no regrets. Thanks again for the insight!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you're OK moving bales with a 3ph bale spear, then either will do it. I also feel that either machine is about right for 2 acres - maybe the B2601 feels more the size you should have to me. They're not that different in size nor capability really.

The LX will take a 72 inch mower deck. That's a lot more mower. If your lawn isn't so flat, it'll let you go a bit slower and still get a lot of mowing done.

I think the BX would be a bit more stable. But an LX with spacers would be fine.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
My B2601 was delivered last September, approaching 150 hours seat time 80% of which has been mowing about 4 to 5 acres a week pulling the Landpride FDR1660 5 foot finish mower. I LOVE the B2601 for all the other tasks such as maintaining the gravel driveway (250 yards), bush hogging trails in the woods and other bush hogging tasks, putting in acre food plots with the tiller, etc. Just a GREAT tractor EXCEPT in my opinion for mowing.

You want to be able to mow in medium gear otherwise unless you are mowing a small area it will take a LONG TIME. If you take the loader off it does OK but not great on the slopes but with the loader on it struggles on slopes in medium gear due to the added weight. Just not enough power. The loader does give the B2601 a lot more stability though. Might have this same issue with the LX2610 pulling a 5 foot finish mower. You get more power with the loader off but then you have to be extraordinarily careful as the front end becomes light and if you lift the mower on anything other than level ground which inevitably you will have to you can get in a mess of trouble. The LX doesn't weight that much more, has a little more power but not a lot more power so both of these issues might occur with the LX. The other issue because the B2601makes for a painful ride. Light tractor, smaller tires, not a great seat and after mowing for hours you FEEL it and not in a good way. This has been discussed at length here in other threads. Good news is the seat on the LX is supposedly much better. I will be making a change at some point in the future since the majority of my time is spent mowing. It's a painful experience on a tractor that just doesn't have the power. I need more stability (i.e heavier tractor) and more power to pull a finish mower on slopes in medium gear at a decent speed.

Knowing what I know now I would have probably bought a L2501 or better yet L3301, and added an aftermarket seat. The L3301 has the power to pull even a 6' finish mower up slopes and the extra weight and size of the L series gives you stability that is lacking in the B2601 and more than likely the LX2610 also. I would not feel safe lifting a round bale on it or probably even the LX if it could. REALLY consider an L series tractor. Live and learn is all I can say and I've learned a lot over the past year! I would be looking at heavier tractors! Head over to gpoutdoors as he went from a B2601 to a LX2610. Watch his 4 month review of the LX as he has some interesting things to say comparing the two tractors.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
@TomRC: depends if you're pulling an RFM or using a MMM. Many of the issues you describe with the B2601 are RFM issues that wouldn't exist with a MMM. You're mowing with the loader on to get front end weight, because the RFM hangs off the back. In turn, you then have a lot of weight up hills. With a MMM you would mow with the loader off, and have many fewer issues.

It is a question on the LX though - the LX2610 has pretty similar power to the B2601, but it's spinning a 72 inch mower instead of 60 inch. That may limit speed more.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL

He has an unroller to move haybales and feed cattle

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Moving round bales..........B2601/LX2610???????? And safely???????? Not the round bales in my neck of the woods! Something to consider is that a RFM is much more versatile than a MMM in terms of where you can mow and much easier to remove when necessary to do other tasks. Even if I had a $15k Ferris Zero turn I'd still have to hook up the tractor with the bush hog to get to areas the MMM could not cut or burn a lot of gas in the weed eater to finish things up. For some I'm sure a MMM will suffice but it is nice being able to mow under tree limbs, to the edge of the pond and in other tight spots with the RFM. The Landpride FDR1660 does a great job and produces a very nice cut.

With a B2601 and more than likely a LX2610 your options for mowing on slopes will be to keep the loader on for stability and go SLOW up slopes and in the case of the B2601 very bumpy or take the loader off, have a tad more power but be at the helm of a tractor that has a VERY light front end where you need to exercise a whole lot of caution.

If you want to mow safely on slopes, have the power to mow up slopes at a decent speed in medium gear (low gear will be VERY time consuming), have a fair amount to mow on a regular basis and won't to move round bales I'd be looking at the L series (probably an L3301 for the power to go up slopes) with a seat upgrade. Even round bales on an L series might be sketchy unless on very flat ground.

Last edited:

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
My setup old picture have added work lights to ROPS ,this thing hugs the ground like a traditional lawn mower.
60" MMM
Loaded rear turf tires.

The terrain I mow is mostly flat ,, the banks do with cub cadet rider.
Several times I have found my self mowing a hr later in H rather than M

Attachments

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
I mow 6-6 acres with my LX2610 with turf tires. We have had a lot of rain this summer and the grass has a high moisture content so lot of build up on the deck. It comes off in less than five minutes but going back on takes me longer due to a shoulder injury. Nice even cut with the 60" deck but I am going to a rear finish mower so I don't have to keep pulling the deck weekly to clean it.

The turf tires don't tear up the yard but I have several plugs in the front tires because of thorny bushes.

No complaints on the performance of the tractor and no quality control issues. 165 hours on it in 14 months of ownership. The only two things I'd do differently is forgo the mid-mount mower and swap the turf tires for R14's.
I concur. I would never recommend a mmm for a LX2610. And would not have purchased a LX2610 had I known what a pain the belly mower is on it.

I have a lot of trouble looking back. But I might have been better with a bush hog and mirrors or a camera.

I find the LX2610 to big for the horsepower and To little to replace the old John Deere 4010.

It won't pull the manure spreader or run the Tiller. But that's not what it was bought for.

The mmm is a pain to install and remove. We had a 1980 John Deere and the deck installation was far easier.

I would think they could have come up with something better in 40 years

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
For your stated use(s) I would tell you to go with the LX3310 with SSQA FEL (I know you listed the LX2610 vs B2601) and a rear mower, 60". The LX3310 is going to be in the size range you seem to want, and it will perform the tasks you listed with a little more security than either of the 26hp tractors.

You may also be interested in looking at an LX3310SU; no cab option available but it'll have a great loader and will power the 60" RFM. It won't take any MMM, however.

I'd steer you away from any MMM, it would likely interfere with serious tractor work, and it would be cumbersome to remove & install multiple times each season. A RFM will provide needed ballast for picking up 900lb bales. I would also advise looking into a rear quick hitch, probably a Land Pride QH16.

If mowing is a real chore, you'd be better off with a dedicated mower setup, possibly a zero-turn or similar.

How would you be picking up 900lb round bales? With a bale spear or a bale 'squeezer'?

The upgrades I've suggested are going to cost more money, but if your'e financing this package get it all in there the first time. (y)

Reactions: 3 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I agree with jkrubi12 regarding a separate mower. A nice finish mower will be a lot easier to use than a tractor with a MMM or tow behind mower for the relatively small lawn you are going to mow. I mow about two acres and have been doing it with a Cub Cadet lawn tractor for many years. The only issue is that the drive tires slip on steep hills when the grass is wet. If I were shopping for a mower today I would look seriously at a stand on or sit on zero turn with good tires.