LX2610 Manual Says No Tire Fluid When Operating the Loader

GaryDemo

Equipment
LX 2610, 72" mower deck, 53" snow blower, blade, BX42 chipper, Forks, Bail spear
Jan 11, 2022
Urbana, Ohio
I was surprised to find this in the manual - I just purchased the tractor and was reading through the manual last night, and it stated that you should drain any tire fluid before operating the loader. That's actually one of the reasons I was thinking of adding fluid - to help offset the weight in the loader. Am I missing something?

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Can you be more specific? Front or rear wheels? Tire selection matters too, some are closer to max rated load than others.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I was surprised to find this in the manual - I just purchased the tractor and was reading through the manual last night, and it stated that you should drain any tire fluid before operating the loader. That's actually one of the reasons I was thinking of adding fluid - to help offset the weight in the loader. Am I missing something?
Whatever they may be, Kubota has their reasons for such instructions.

Relatedly, I never use liquid ballast for multiple reasons. A ballast box is more effective, easily removed, useful for other purposes, and priced similarly to beet juice.

Reactions: 1 users

GaryDemo

Equipment
LX 2610, 72" mower deck, 53" snow blower, blade, BX42 chipper, Forks, Bail spear
Jan 11, 2022
Urbana, Ohio
Rear tires. I am mainly interested in rear weight ballast for operating the loader and front mounted snow blower (which I'm currently waiting for).

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Whatever they may be, Kubota has their reasons for such instructions.

Relatedly, I never use liquid ballast for multiple reasons. A ballast box is more effective, easily removed, useful for other purposes, and priced similarly to beet juice.
Same, I feel cast wheel weights are preferable, however costly. But some of these smaller rigs do not have provisions to mount cast weights...

OP,
Then they(Kubota) are probably afraid of you overloading the front axle in some way. Like SDT says...

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My B2650 manual only says to not use filled tires together with my BH77 backhoe. Nothing about with the loader. I don't have filled tires. My rear ballast is usually my BB1560 box blade, as it does great work moving gravel, dirt, and snow too.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
They have been know to have mistakes in their manuals. I can't think of any reason for removing fluid for loader work, that's counterintuitive. I had asked for my tires to not be filled, the dealer filled them out of habit saying they always fill them if a loader is attached as standard practice. I did not get charged for it. I don't think the dealer would fill them for the loader if it was opposite of what the manual calls for. Mine is the older b2650 version but there shouldn't be a difference. I would specifically ask your dealer to verify for you.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I don't know why they would say that but my only comment about fel use and ballast is loaded tires don't help. Only ballast behind the rear axle relieves pressure on the front axle.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
When I purchased my loader equiped L2501 my dealer had me sign a pre-printed disclaimer saying I opted out of having the tires filled as per their recommendations. My son works for a tire company and I gave him the business.

Jared 756

Equipment
MX5400, L3901 and B2601
Jun 9, 2021
Washington st
Every tractor with a loader that we setup has fluid in the rears, even 2610's. Becomes a safety concern for doing loader work with an un ballasted tractor.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
D

Deleted member 47704

It may be to prevent overloading the axles, or it may be a limitation of the ROPS in case or a rollover.
The beauty of loaded tires is it doesn't load the axle, the weight is directly on the ground.

Reactions: 4 users

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
The beauty of loaded tires is it doesn't load the axle, the weight is directly on the ground.
Good point. Yes. That would be true especially for the front axle. The rear axle would have lifting forces applied when the loader is working. Still, I would expect the axles to be strong enough to handle these loads.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I don't know why they would say that but my only comment about fel use and ballast is loaded tires don't help. Only ballast behind the rear axle relieves pressure on the front axle.
Loaded rears do help. Any weight behind the front axle is ballast to help keep the rear of the tractor on the ground vs going up in the air (pivoting on the front axle. This weight also gets transferred to the front axle as the loader exerts force. You are correct that weight added behind the rear axle can transfer some of that force from the front axle to the rear axle. Loaded tires ballast the front, but do not transfer any forces from the front to the rear.

kreuss

Equipment
B26 - loader, backhoe, box blade, pallet forks
Mar 22, 2021
Lothian, MD
Interesting, I had not noticed this and have read the manual a few times. I just checked and sure enough it says:
  • While the backhoe is installed on the tractor, the liquid ballast in the rear tires should be removed.
  • While the loader is installed on the CAB tractor, the liquid ballast in the rear tires should be removed.
So it's backhoe or CAB+loader where they don't want you to us it.

D

Deleted member 47704

Interesting, I had not noticed this and have read the manual a few times. I just checked and sure enough it says:
  • While the backhoe is installed on the tractor, the liquid ballast in the rear tires should be removed.
  • While the loader is installed on the CAB tractor, the liquid ballast in the rear tires should be removed.
So it's backhoe or CAB+loader where they don't want you to us it.
You would think you would want loaded tires with the cab to keep it from tipping over

kreuss

Equipment
B26 - loader, backhoe, box blade, pallet forks
Mar 22, 2021
Lothian, MD
You would think you would want loaded tires with the cab to keep it from tipping over
I never understood the reasoning for the backhoe warning either. My machine feels more tippy with the backhoe on due to the extra weight up high. Loaded tires help with that. One theory I heard was that the roll bar may not be rated/tested for the extra weight in a rollover.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I suspect it might have more to do with the weight carrying capacity of the tire themselves. As the tires being loaded the weight is not being carried by the axles. On a side note I weighed my new LX2610 Rops with a 60" bucket and a 6' Trarter back blade on a quick hitch. The tires are the large R4's (15/19.5's) loaded with beet juice (RimGuard) it's a total of 3,555 lbs LF was 726 lbs, RF 706 Lbs, LR 1126 Lbs and RR 997 Lbs.
I'm assuming the right rear has about 10 gallon less beet juice than the left. Regardless that was heavier than I expected by a good 500 pounds...

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
When I bought my Lx2610 Cab model, one of the first things the dealer recommended was to fill the back tires.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Filled tires provide excellent counterweight, along with a heavy implement. Neither weight alone is sufficient to allow safe use of the loader at max capacity.

Reactions: 1 user