Lube of injector pump

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Does the injector pump on a D782 get lubrication from the crankcase? Is it pressure fed or "splashed"? Always wondered about this, never asked because whatever is there, seems to "work" :D I always hear about the lubricity of the fuel, that sulphur removal huts that, and so on. So just hoping to understand more of how that all works

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
The IP is lubricated and cooled by the diesel fuel going through it, not engine oil.

ETA: On every diesel engine I've ever seen, can't specifically say about your model but I can't imagine it's any different.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So this really does not answer the question. Are the main parts lubricated by feed from the crankcase?
Some of both. On most Kubotas the pump camshaft is part of the engine and is lubed by engine oil. The pump is a cassette containing the reciprocating parts. The tappets receive engine oil, but the pumping elements and valves in contact with fuel rely on the fuel for their lubricantion.

Reactions: 4 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Good to know. I was always worried there oil in there that needed changing.. But, for the life of me could never figure out. Thanks! I do add some ATF in my fuel. As I knew there were metal contact parts i.e. in the injectors and the like. So IDK where I saw the advice but recall seeing someone recommend a little ATF or engine oil added to the fuel. I don't go nuts. Just a few ounces in 5 gal fuel

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good to know. I was always worried there oil in there that needed changing.. But, for the life of me could never figure out. Thanks! I do add some ATF in my fuel. As I knew there were metal contact parts i.e. in the injectors and the like. So IDK where I saw the advice but recall seeing someone recommend a little ATF or engine oil added to the fuel. I don't go nuts. Just a few ounces in 5 gal fuel
You really don't need to add anything, as these pumps are designed to run on ultra low sulfur fuel.
You would not add anything to the fuel for any emissions controlled engine.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What I couldn't tell from my lube schematic is whether the fuel cam bearings are pressure- or splash-lubed. They're not shown, so I assume splash?
Your right it is splash lubed as the cam gear pulls oil into the cam / pump lifter space.

Reactions: 1 user