LP 3rd function valve

JDP

Equipment
L4701
Dec 15, 2020
Nebraska
Not sure if I should post this here or in the repairs and maintenance. I bought and installed a Land Pride 3rd function valve myself. Very easy install and great instructions. It worked fine for a few weeks but now the hydraulics settle down. My grapple will slowly close on its own. I thought it was just gravity and the weight of the grapple but I tried raising the loader all the way in the air with the grapple tipped all the way back and the grapple all the way open and it still closed. It's almost like there is pressure getting past the valve. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix for it? It usually doesn't bother me but today I hit my head on the grapple because it was closing while I was hooking a chain.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not sure if I should post this here or in the repairs and maintenance. I bought and installed a Land Pride 3rd function valve myself. Very easy install and great instructions. It worked fine for a few weeks but now the hydraulics settle down. My grapple will slowly close on its own. I thought it was just gravity and the weight of the grapple but I tried raising the loader all the way in the air with the grapple tipped all the way back and the grapple all the way open and it still closed. It's almost like there is pressure getting past the valve. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix for it? It usually doesn't bother me but today I hit my head on the grapple because it was closing while I was hooking a chain.
Disconnect the solenoids on the valve and see if the behavior changes.

Dan

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would gamble a guess that you have a leak somewhere in the plumbing that is allowing air intrusion into the cylinder or hose(s). I would work the grapple open and closed in close repetitive movements and then see if the grapple will settle afterwards. I would also gamble a bet that the drop occurs when the tractor is idle for a few hours.

Reactions: 1 user