Looking to buy a new L3902HST or the 3902DT….opinions?

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Have the L3302HST and love it. I would never go gear. My dealer would have to special order one as he has not sold one in years. I would step up to the next model if HP was an issue to keep the HST.

Whine doesn't bother me anyway. I way noise cancelling earbuds, I like my hearing.

Reactions: 1 user

Sail

Aug 6, 2022
TX
Well……I think I’m going go with a L4701HST. Just sold my skid steer so I have a few extra bucks. Around $40,000 to step up. (that price would include, loader, box blade, bush hog,trailer)

yall have been a great help

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The L4701 is an interesting beast. They apparently don't sell a lot of them. Observations I'd make:
  • It's an 01 series tractor, not an 02. I think the changes in the 02 are material, I personally would aim for an 02, especially for the brakes on the left. Note that the only 02 models are the 3302 and 3902, the 25 and 47 aren't upgraded yet
  • It's a high HP tractor in a chassis that can't really use that HP. It tends to get bought by people who are limited in space, or limited in weight - i.e. they need a lot of HP and need to put it on a trailer
  • For most other people, the MX is a better buy - it's similar price, similar HP, and quite a bit more tractor
  • I seem to recall it has some components (the loader maybe?) that are unique - so whilst it's an L-series tractor, it's actually not the same as all the other L series. So it may be a little harder to get some parts for
I think I'd personally get the L3902, I think it's all the power you need. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket and would like a bit more tractor, I'd look hard at the MX or the Grand L rather than the L4701, I think they're probably better tractors in many ways.

drumminj

Equipment
L4701, Mule 4010
Nov 4, 2021
TN
It's an 01 series tractor, not an 02. I think the changes in the 02 are material, I personally would aim for an 02, especially for the brakes on the left. Note that the only 02 models are the 3302 and 3902, the 25 and 47 aren't upgraded yet
FWIW, the 4701 already has a lot of the "upgrades" that are in the '02 models. Have a look at the brake pedal location, HST pedal, and PTO operation of the 4701 vs the 3901. Plus it has telescoping stabilizer bars and adjustible rear wheel width with R4s (great for stability).

Personally I'm happy with my 4701, and am glad I didn't go with the MX (though I considered it). The extra ~45% of lift over the 3901 is helpful, but it's not TOO big to get around in the trees or tight spaces. And the extra PTO hp is nice to have for running a 6' cutter.

Great choice, OP!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have an MX with HST and an M with the 8F/8R transmission with creep range giving 12F/12R. I like both, I see the benefits of both, and I enjoy going back and forth between them. There's absolutely no doubt that the HST is easier to live with, and they're basically bullet proof albeit considerably more noisy.

I would much rather run a rotary cutter or a flail with a gear drive tractor, and even loader work isn't a big deal with a gear drive. The single worst thing about a gear drive tractor is finesse on ground that isn't level, such as hooking up to an implement. That can be annoying for sure, but it's really the only downside, i.e. any situation where you need to ride the clutch in order to get into and maintain a position.

I've said this before but if I had to let one tractor go it'd be the MX. Not because of the HST but more because of the capabilities of the M which are a significant jump up over the MX, and they more than outweigh the slight inconvenience of clutch control in situations requiring finesse.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Howdy, I’ve never owned a Kubota but I’ve had a few New Holland TC33’s. I have zero complaints with my present TC33 but it’s time to get something new. We have lost our New Holland dealer in town but have a relatively new EWALD Kubota dealer.

I was wondering what transmission to get, the gear drive or hydrostatic? Thoughts on the L3902?

I have 10 acres and use it for general work. I would be getting one of package deals more than likely…loader, box blade and bush hog.

thanks!
I am not sure it matters so much as what you want/prefer…I did not really understand you tasks…I see you have some acres there but are you mowing all that? Is it wooded? Depending on what or how you plan to use the machine most maybe dictate the transmission….I generally prefer manual transmissions, however in the case of a loader and mowing around obstacles and close to barns I think HST is an advantage IMO (finesse vs grunt). I went with HST as it’s safer for my spousal unit who did not grow up around machinery or manual transmissions. If for some strange reason I needed to replace the chubby girl it would be with a compact loader i think.

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
I will add about the finesse part that I haven’t seen mentioned. The clutch on a M series is an hydraulic shuttle versus a L or MX gear drive with a manual clutch.
I can finesse(slip) the clutch on my MX if needed to attach implements for example. My uncle has a M6060 that I’ve used some, the clutch is either engaged or disengaged, no slip no finesse with the peddle. Maybe someone can explain it better than me if it’s not clear.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I will add about the finesse part that I haven’t seen mentioned. The clutch on a M series is an hydraulic shuttle versus a L or MX gear drive with a manual clutch.
I can finesse(slip) the clutch on my MX if needed to attach implements for example. My uncle has a M6060 that I’ve used some, the clutch is either engaged or disengaged, no slip no finesse with the peddle. Maybe someone can explain it better than me if it’s not clear.
Hmmm, I've run an M7040 with hydraulic shuttle and, until I studied the WSM, it never occurred to me that it wasn't a mechanical dry-plate clutch. It was smooth.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm not sure that you're correct about that. In order for the clutch packs to be engaged, oil under pressure is required, and this is function of the Hydraulic Shuttle Valve along with inputs from the shuttle lever or clutch pedal.

If you move the shuttle lever to the F position oil goes to one side of the forward clutch pack, and if you move it to the R position oil goes to one side of the reverse clutch pack. In either situation, when you depress the clutch which moves the inching valve, the oil in either clutch pack is returned to the transmission case via the proportionally reducing valve (PRV) and the clutch pack is disengaged. The pressure on the clutch pack isn't binary, i.e. either on or off, it's variable with a pressure difference which is what causes the PRV to move.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Either way, I think the point that an M with a hydraulic shuttle is quite a different beast than one of the smaller tractors with a gear drive. Loader work with a hydraulic shuttle is much less annoying than loader work in a L series with gear drive. Neither here nor there given OP has decided on an HST anyway.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Either way, I think the point that an M with a hydraulic shuttle is quite a different beast than one of the smaller tractors with a gear drive. Loader work with a hydraulic shuttle is much less annoying than loader work in a L series with gear drive. Neither here nor there given OP has decided on an HST anyway.
True enough, but someone else reading this thread might be thinking of an M series with hydraulic shuttle and it's best that we present accurate information when possible. I could be "close but no cigar" with my previous post, and if that's the case, hopefully someone will be along to correct my correction.

Sail

Aug 6, 2022
TX
Change of plans y’all, should pick up our new 3902 hst in a week or so. Got a front loader, box blade and fork attachment.

thanks for all your input !

Reactions: 3 users