Looking For Advice On Addons For My New Tractor.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Hi
First post; I have a couple of questions that I apologize in advance for. Normally I would spend a bunch of time searching (I have done some), however my aunt recently passed and I just found out I need to help clear out aprox 4000 sq feet of decent quality stuff that's been hoarded for the last 40 years or so. I'm not lazy, just kind of swamped ATM. And will be able to pay forward the help I get as time goes on and I gain an understanding of these.

I just bought my first tractor, haven't even received it yet. BX23s?
Before I start to use it I'd like a couple of smaller attachments but I'm not sure exactly where to look/which ones are good. There's a lot of acronyms and things to learn here before I can understand what fits what and what goes where.

Rubber pads for the rear stabilizer feet.

A good toothed edge for the front bucket. I have the factory quick disconnect bucket, comes with a bolt on cutting edge?
I'd prefer a toothed edge I can bolt on and off at need, vs having to mod the bucket and not be able to bolt on the factory edge if needed.

Potentially some type of rubber edge for the front bucket to move snow. My driveway is paved, a little over 100' long, 2 - 3 cars wide. I'd rather not tear it up with the metal bucket. I have a snow blower and I didn't get the tractor for snow clearing, but since I have it it will probably make some snow clearing easier.

Pallet forks. I don't think I want to mess with the clip on ones, this already has a low enough front capacity.

I'm also interested in the SA10? hole digger, if I can get over the price. I believe there is a pallet fork "frame" that the SA10 can attach to? Vs also having to get the attachment frame?

I would appreciate any advice and guidance on these.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi
First post; I have a couple of questions that I apologize in advance for. Normally I would spend a bunch of time searching (I have done some), however my aunt recently passed and I just found out I need to help clear out aprox 4000 sq feet of decent quality stuff that's been hoarded for the last 40 years or so. I'm not lazy, just kind of swamped ATM. And will be able to pay forward the help I get as time goes on and I gain an understanding of these.

Before I start to use it I'd like a couple of smaller attachments but I'm not sure exactly where to look/which ones are good. There's a lot of acronyms and things to learn here before I can understand what fits what and what goes where.

A good toothed edge for the front bucket. I have the factory quick disconnect bucket, comes with a bolt on cutting edge?
I'd prefer a toothed edge I can bolt on and off at need, vs having to mod the bucket and not be able to bolt on the factory edge if needed.

Potentially some type of rubber edge for the front bucket to move snow. My driveway is paved, a little over 100' long, 2 - 3 cars wide. I'd rather not tear it up with the metal bucket. I have a snow blower and I didn't get the tractor for snow clearing, but since I have it it will probably make some snow clearing easier.

Pallet forks. I don't think I want to mess with the clip on ones, this already has a low enough front capacity.

I'm also interested in the SA10? hole digger, if I can get over the price. I believe there is a pallet fork "frame" that the SA10 can attach to? Vs also having to get the attachment frame?

Unless your driveway is all broken up the metal edge on that little loader won't damage it. It's actually a very effective way to get frozen snow and ice off.

Pallet forks - cheap and handier than 16 year old boy.

Grapple not far behind.

Auxiliary hydraulic valve and outlets.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My 5 year old BX23s just turned 1100 hours today. The SSQA pallet forks are on it about 1/2 the time!The stock 48" bucket has 7 holes. I made my own 'toothed bar' which is necessary for turning compost and chewing up mounds of dirt.
No real need for a 'rubber' edge on the blade though you can buy a harder edge ($150 ?) bolts into those 7 holes.
If you're thinking about rear implements, get the 3 point hitch 'kit'. Mine was part of the deal though it's still in the box.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Hi

Okay… so, pallet forks, yep. Handy. Standard bucket…. GRAPPLE! Extremely useful… second most used tool. What do you have in the back? I have a box blade…. But then, I have a dirt drive way…. I also have a rake, which is also helpful in my forest.

I agree with the others, if you don’t have damage on your driveway, you can put your bucket on float, and just slide along the ground.

We don’t really have enough information to suggest much else…. What do you plan on doing with it?

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Maybe wheel spacers to widen the rear wheels and make it more stable on hills? My first tractor was a B2301, and I often felt nervous about tipping on it. Probably never came close, but I really didn’t like the feeling.

I really wish I had a bucket level indicator on my first tractor. I found it very difficult to get the angle right, especially at first. They’re cheap, I just didn’t know it existed.

If you’re going to be working at night, the headlights are almost worthless because the bucket gets in the way. Lots of inexpensive ROPS mounted light options if you’re handy. I got a light kit from www.ropslights.com that was very easy to instal and quite bright.

I’ve seen several companies that sell bolt-on metal plates to protect things under the machine. If you plan to work in the woods much, maybe something to consider. Lown Performance is one example, but there are several others I you can find positive reviews for on the forum.

I wouldn’t rush in to the grapple. Don’t get my wrong, they’re great. But it’s a lot of money for the grapple itself and also the third function. I’d figure out how much can be done with the bucket and forks and hoe first.

Congrats and enjoy the tractor!

Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I know this isn't one of the implements you asked about, but I find my brush forks to be my most useful implement. If you have brush/slash/logs/etc to clean up, they are amazingly handy. I even use them as forks sometimes.

IMG_0082.JPG brush forky.jpg IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0003 copy.JPG IMG_0020 copy.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
I know this isn't one of the implements you asked about, but I find my brush forks to be my most useful implement. If you have brush/slash/logs/etc to clean up, they are amazingly handy. I even use them as forks sometimes.

View attachment 111312 View attachment 111313 View attachment 111314 View attachment 111315 View attachment 111316 View attachment 111317
Hi

I had a BX in Maryland and moved up to a 2601 in New Hampshire (wife's idea, and a very smart one, two 40 inch snows in the first year).

I would be very patient about buying attachments for the BX. You should first see how it handles and what you actually want to do.

As already said: ROPS LIGHTS! Even just for added safety when on use in common roads.

Second, an EA toothbar will make it easier to get into dirt. Take it off for snow removal.

Third, set of alloy chains and snatch hooks. A couple slings. Will become obvious.

To me, these are immediate essentials.

After you start moving things around with the bucket (did you get hooks welded onto the bucket?), chains and slings, you may want another quick attachment. Before jumping at a grapple, look at a good pallet fork attachment (not the ones that go on the bucket) and see how that works. Again, chains and slings with a pallet fork go along way and I move rocks, brush piles and dig with my pallet forks.

The pallet forks may prove useful enough and will always be handy. And you will get cheap lessons in moving things that extend past the bucket. And, you can increase lift by removing the forks and rigging to the pallet fork frame.

Oh, whether you get pallet forks or a grapple, either will be counted against the lift capacity of the loader. My PF attachment weighs 220, one of the lightest. Over 1/2 is in the forks.

THEN figure out if the stuff you think you need a grapple for can be handled by your BX.

I twisted the arms on mine just using the loader on an incline.

The nice thing about the hydraulic lift is that you cannot break them. Either they will lift or they will not.

If it does not lift, you have to figure out other ways. For example, pulling. Then there are times that you may wish you had a grapple but renting an excavator at $300 a day is cheaper than buying a grapple that is used once every couple years. I have a couple griphoists and can resort to a highline if I need to.

And if push comes to shove, if you are doing a lot of heavy work and decide you need a bigger tractor, a package with loader, tooth bar and pallet forks is likely to result in a better return.

The chains and slings you keep.

Wheel extenders, weights? On a BX? I thought about both for my 2601 but after 3 years of use on my 12 acre woodlot with wetlands, I find no need. But then I keep the carryall on the back.

So the complement for my 2601:

Toothbar
Carryall (poached from youtube)
ROPS lights
quick hitch
25 gallon sprayer (in carryall; switched from console, same as lights)
Parking Brake INDICATOR Light (dealer agrees should be standard equip)
Rear Mirrors
Cell phone holder
Pallet Forks
and a yet-to-be-used Land Plane for 1/2 mile dirt road.

As well as chains and slings rock bar, shovel, rake, chainsaw, etc. (all stay in the carryall)

Reactions: 1 user

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
First, thank you all for your replies.
Second, I wasn't clear enough in my first post.

I'm actually looking for brand suggestions and advice for the specific implements I mentioned.

My BX23s comes with the factory backhoe and a rear subframe for said backhoe.
4wd, HST, factory quick disconnect front bucket with a bolted on cutting edge.
I did get beetjuice in the rear wheels, figured it was a cheap upgrade.
Primary use for it is light excavation, I have some small trees to move, stuff like that.

Honestly, with the amount of work I NEED it for it would be cheaper purely money wise to rent.
But 1 week rental is 3 months payments. Plus to get full use of it I'd need to waste multiple vacation weeks just for it. And hope the rental place had one in stock (no reservations). Plus the hassle of renting and transporting. And I still wouldn't get the full week, because kids and life.
So the luxury of being able to work on stuff as I have time with no deadline over my head, plus the benefit of making LOADS of smaller jobs much easier, plus zero down and zero interest (free money!), and the fun of owning a tractor, I said what the hell.

I'm looking for rubber pads for the rear stablizers so I can dig next to my driveway while being on the driveway without tearing it up with the metal feet.
Unless they come with the tractor?

My driveway is in pretty good shape, several long cracks from being 10+ years old, other wise flat and complete. I'd like to keep it that way. I was more worried about gouging it than actually tearing pieces up.
Floating the front bucket with the cutting edge should do that fine?

I was looking for a quality bolt on toothed edge. I don't want to have to mod the bucket, for now anyways.

I'd like a post hole digger, but I'm not interested in the 3 point attachment ones. Is Land Pride the only one that makes a front mounted one?
I'm looking at the PFL12 Land Pride pallet fork because their SA10 post hole digger mounts to it.
Suggestions for a better/different combination?

I also need a 3 way valve if I get the SA10? Correct?
I think the dealer wants 1500 for one.

Are there GOOD aftermarket ones that are cheaper?
How feasible/easy is it to make up my own kit?
And how much of the price is parts and how much labor? I have the ability to install myself, just not necessarily the time.

For the moment at least anything extra I buy is with an eye towards POSSIBLY moving up to a B series in the future.

I was very close to getting a B2401; primarily price/rebates and slightly the larger size and the fact the BX23 has a subframe for the backhoe pushed me to the BX23.

Out the door cost for the B23 was the same as list price for the B2401. Then add taxes, insurance, and fees and I'm already at $35000. Not to mention I have several years longer interest free to pay for the BX.
This gives me more room for attachments.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
The EA teeth look interesting. I don't mind drilling holes in the side as much. I remember one set of teeth that mentioned modding the mounting holes for the cutting edge. I'm trying to avoid that.

Welding hooks on the bucket is a good idea too, I'll have to file that away for when I have time.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I find that my pallet forks are used as much as the bucket.
As for a grapple, not so much. It's cool and all, but forks are my go to for moving larger stuff. My grapple collects dust. My forks collect tree limbs... cuttings. And removes pallets from bobtail delivery trucks and my pickup. It lifts anything I can hook a chain to. Just sayin'. In my opinion, a grapple..meh.

I didn't know that a BX had 3rd function hydralic power to run a front post hole digger Effectively. ???

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
35K for a BX? Wow. Just wow. A lot has changed since I bought my LX2610 cab two years ago!

Respectfully, I'd be considering bigger and more capable for that kind of $$$.

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Granted...I only have 15 hours on my tractor having received it about a month ago. I have yet to have the need for my loader. Mostly using my pallet forks and grappler. Not sure if I would buy a loader next time out.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
1. My BX23s comes with the factory backhoe and a rear subframe for said backhoe.

2. Honestly, with the amount of work I NEED it for it would be cheaper purely money wise to rent.

3. I'm looking for rubber pads for the rear stablizers so I can dig next to my driveway while being on the driveway without tearing it up with the metal feet.
Unless they come with the tractor?

4. I'd like a post hole digger, but I'm not interested in the 3 point attachment ones. Is Land Pride the only one that makes a front mounted one?

1. You're gonna love having a BH.........After having one, I would not consider a tractor without one.

2. That sir is Heresy!!!!!

3. My BH77 did not come with them. I would bet yours will not as well.

Here is a link for some that are "reasonable" if they make them for your model hoe. Be sure to take measurements because they do not seem to list every tractor they actually fit.

https://www.flippadinternational.com/collections/all/Kubota

There are others that make them too, with bigger feet and such Like Ai2, and I'm sure there are others

https://bxattachments.com/product/k...ersized-stabilizer-feet-rubber-pad-accessory/

4. Will you have enough hydraulic output for that?

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Granted...I only have 15 hours on my tractor having received it about a month ago. I have yet to have the need for my loader. Mostly using my pallet forks and grappler. Not sure if I would buy a loader next time out.
This is my favorite Grappler, Royce Gracey...... 🍺

1694516451412.png

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My most used attachment is my EA 55" Root Rake Grapple followed by the forks.

What you will notice is a common them. Some type of attachment of on the loader, grapple, forks, bucket with hooks, etc. to be able to move items. Brands, when possible and when you are lucky, picking up used generally saves money, but thanks to today's market that has become more difficult.

I have the Piranha toothbar and been happy with it.

Grapple being used

Resized_20200903_171724.jpg

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The EA teeth look interesting. I don't mind drilling holes in the side as much. I remember one set of teeth that mentioned modding the mounting holes for the cutting edge. I'm trying to avoid that.

Welding hooks on the bucket is a good idea too, I'll have to file that away for when I have time.
You can measure your bucket and mounting holes for the smooth edge and EA will make a bolt on tooth bar.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I like to put my eyes on any implements I’m buying that are real money. I’d take a well build 80s implement over some of the stuff I’ve seen in production these days. If your stuck on new I’d buy once cry once and stick to the names that have been around for awhile.
as far as driveway I’ve seen people use a steel pipe slit and slid over the cutting edge. Then weld on some tabs and nuts to friction hold it in place with bolts like the edge skis do. I thought about this but if I wanted to leave the teeth on in the winter.

upfront post hole digger for a bx sounds expensive. To be honest I have never seen one. I don’t own a bx though. Probably adding that into your financing when you bought the tractor was your best bet. Unless I had a yearly use for it and crap tons of property I’d just rent a 3ph one or borrow one. Lots of them around. Another thing I’d consider is if your gonna remove the backhoe at times to work a ballast weight or box of some sort.

Can’t speak for rubbers or protection as I ended up with twin boys in life. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users