Looking for Advice from BX Owners on Ground Clearance

kpete1964

May 3, 2015
Wisconsin
Have been researching tractors for some time and narrowed final choice to Kubota for all the reasons I read from owners on this site. Own 10 acres of woods in WI.

Tractor will not be used for mowing. About 70% of use will be for installing and maintaining yards around buildings, gravel work for driveways, and snow removal in the winter, plus all the other chores a FEL will be handy to complete. Other 30% of use will be for moving brush and small logs around the property, in addition to bush cutting ditch line along road and trails through woods for walking.

Test drove both the BX2670 and B2601 at local dealers. Really like the maneuverability aspect of the BX for my small yard, turning diameter when blowing snow, and driving between trees in the woods. Tractor package I'm looking at includes: BX2670-1, R4 tires w/ rim guard, block heater, LA234 loader with quick attach, 32in pallet forks, BX5450 front mount snow blower, Landpride 48in rotary cutter, and for winter a soft cab kit with front glass and electric wiper.

Final concern I have before purchasing is the BX ground clearance. Specs indicate an 8.7in clearance for the front axle, but at the lowest point of the 3pt hitch it is a 6in clearance. The woods I own are fairly level with very little rocks and stumps or holes. For my budget, cost difference if I were to upgrade to B series would mean I would need to drop many of the extra options in the above package. I'm asking for input from BX Kubota owners on experiences for using your tractors in the woods and ground clearance issues. Thanks for taking the time to help a hopefully soon to be Kubota owner.

Last edited:

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If you get the BX you will immediately want to get a skid plate to protect the HST cooling fan. Bro-Tek or BXpanded both have them available for the BX2670. The B series doesn't have this vulnerability. Since you won't have a belly mower, the one from BXpanded may suit you more.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yes, ground clearance can be an issue, but with care, it appears it can be managed o your property. We have two and use them for a variety of tasks, but our property has woods and ditches that are a real problem that makes a BX impractical as an only machine. Fortunately we have bigger tractors.

The BX will do an amazing amount of work, but if clearance is an issue go with the B Series.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have been researching tractors for some time and narrowed final choice to Kubota for all the reasons I read from owners on this site. Own 10 acres of woods in WI.

Tractor will not be used for mowing. About 70% of use will be for installing and maintaining yards around buildings, gravel work for driveways, and snow removal in the winter, plus all the other chores a FEL will be handy to complete. Other 30% of use will be for moving brush and small logs around the property, in addition to bush cutting ditch line along road and trails through woods for walking.

Test drove both the BX2670 and B2601 at local dealers. Really like the maneuverability aspect of the BX for my small yard, turning diameter when blowing snow, and driving between trees in the woods. Tractor package I'm looking at includes: BX2670-1, R4 tires w/ rim guard, block heater, LA234 loader with quick attach, 32in pallet forks, BX5450 front mount snow blower, Landpride 48in rotary cutter, and for winter a soft cab kit with front glass and electric wiper.

Final concern I have before purchasing is the BX ground clearance. Specs indicate an 8.7in clearance for the front axle, but at the lowest point of the 3pt hitch it is a 6in clearance. The woods I own are fairly level with very little rocks and stumps or holes. For my budget, cost difference if I were to upgrade to B series would mean I would need to drop many of the extra options in the above package. I'm asking for input from BX Kubota owners on experiences for using your tractors in the woods and ground clearance issues. Thanks for taking the time to help a hopefully soon to be Kubota owner.
Pete,

I have a BX - and I run around over sticks, stumps (small) and other "things".....I have always left my MMM on too, so my clearance is lower than normal....... the skid plate would be a good add on - yours should come with a small one from the factory. But a bigger one will be more helpful.

The limitation you might have with the BX is bucket workload - about 600 lb to maybe 700 lb if you bump up the PSI - where as the B might be a little higher.

I do not think that you will be disappointed at all - you will find that it can do more than you ever thought possible.

Have fun and be safe ......

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
With FEL ground clearance has never been a problem for me . If its in the way,,,,move it .

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yuppers if your not going to use it to mow then by all means GET A SKID PLATE that damned hydro fan is a PIA to replace and having a dealer do it ,, well it aint cheap

kpete1964

May 3, 2015
Wisconsin
Thanks for the info on BXpanded. Looked at the skid plate and also like the clamp on pallet forks. My main objective for the pallet forks in the original package was for pushing around brush. If the clamp on forks work from BXpanded, could save money on initial proposal, money saved instead of pallet forks puts me closer to being able to purchase B2301 in which ground clearance wouldn't be an issue. Then my next problem would be stay with BX2670 for HP or B2301 for clearance and less HP. Wow, these decisions are tough.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I bought my BX2370 in December for pretty much the same reasons, and I am in the woods of northern Michigan. It sounds like the biggest difference is I have a big hill and the flat areas are uneven (lots of rocks, holes, and stumps). Ground clearance has never been a problem, and the only reason I would consider a B tractor would be the extra stability the larger tires would give me on the uneven ground. I will probably put spacers on the rear wheels to help out some.
For snow removal a rear blade really works well with a front mount snow blower. You can drag the snow away from areas where you don't want to use the blower, like close to the house and garage, plus it gives you some extra traction when pushing the blower. If you don't have another use for the rear blade a cheap used one works fine for snow.

Larry

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
I have the bx 2670 as well and am amazed at what all it can do. You may also want to look at the piranha tooth bar from Bxpanded. I purchased the forks from them too!

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I am always amazed at the ability of my BX24. Is clearance an issue......without proper planning and experience even an M1 Battlefield Tank can get into trouble. As was stated above you have an FEL and BH move the stuff out of the way if needed.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
If you are making a trail or road thru an area, and it's too rough or there are deep holes, just add a few scoops of ground and a quick back drag, and the problem is solved. Then when you drive thru next time no more issues. I have a BX on just over 5 thick wooded acres, with lots of rocks, sticks, stumps etc (although stumps are coming out all the time) and the little BX is. Great machine. You will especially like being able to work around buildings, actually creating walkways etc where a larger tractor could not fit. I recommend a skid plate, piranha tooth bar at least.

MikeBo

Equipment
B3350,and a GX110
Mar 22, 2015
Stilwell
Ok I don't want to be the guy who does the "what about this" but if I didn't need to mow,I would get the small L, the dealers around me deal on the L, I have a B3350 and like it, but I use it to mow. Keep in mind for your brush work a B50 series has almost double the FEL capacity and as you know and significant more ground clearance...