Looking at L245DT w/weak FEL

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Found an L245 4x4 w/loader for sale for $3850. Runs OK, steering link a bit sloppy, decent ag rubber. Looks to have several thousand hours on it. Owner felt that hydraulics were a bit slow, with some weakness. He cleaned screen (was cruddy), changed oil, but not much change. He added a "shim", (pointing to a valve cover under the seat on the left side) that he made by polishing and reaming out a washer. He said it helped some.

What I observed: with the engine revved up, it seems to lift and lower the FEL at what I would judge as normal speed. Verrry slow at medium throttle. Not sure what I should expect. However, I cannot lift the front end (at all) with the lift arms. If I place the bucket flat on the ground and roll it forward ("dump it") it lifts it with no effort.

Seeing as it has power to lift it by rolling the bucket, can I assume the pump and main hydraulics are probably OK. Could it be something in the lift arm controls that need cleaned or adjusted? I'm good at mechanics, but never messed much with hydraulics.

What is the worst I'm up against, money-wise, for fixing something like this? I can do the work myself if I know what to fix! The price seems not-too-bad, but I always look at worst-case-scenario.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If the loader works to your satisfaction there's nothing to work on. If any problem does come from the control valves there are some pretty tight tolerances in there and unless you have a hydraulic shop you probably don't have the equipment to work with it. Try comparing loader function to a similar tractor to get an idea what to expect. The tractor's hydraulic pump will have a great deal to do with loader speed. It is probably a gear type pump but I don't know for sure. They can wear out but it takes a LONG time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Found an L245 4x4 w/loader for sale for $3850. Runs OK, steering link a bit sloppy, decent ag rubber. Looks to have several thousand hours on it. Owner felt that hydraulics were a bit slow, with some weakness. He cleaned screen (was cruddy), changed oil, but not much change. He added a "shim", (pointing to a valve cover under the seat on the left side) that he made by polishing and reaming out a washer. He said it helped some.

What I observed: with the engine revved up, it seems to lift and lower the FEL at what I would judge as normal speed. Verrry slow at medium throttle. Not sure what I should expect. However, I cannot lift the front end (at all) with the lift arms. If I place the bucket flat on the ground and roll it forward ("dump it") it lifts it with no effort.

Seeing as it has power to lift it by rolling the bucket, can I assume the pump and main hydraulics are probably OK. Could it be something in the lift arm controls that need cleaned or adjusted? I'm good at mechanics, but never messed much with hydraulics.

What is the worst I'm up against, money-wise, for fixing something like this? I can do the work myself if I know what to fix! The price seems not-too-bad, but I always look at worst-case-scenario.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
If the loader speed changes greatly with the tractor revved up, sounds like it could need one or all of several things.

New screen filter, they get clogged up to the point where normal cleaning won't do any good.

Could have a suction leak in one of the suction hoses or connections, look for seeping leaks.

Might need either the cylinders rebuilt/replaced or the loader valve replaced (there is no rebuilding them for these types of issues).

Lift the loader up and see if it holds position for any length of time, most typically will hold there position for a short time, then drift down, this is normal, but if it starts to drift immediately then something is wrong.
the fact that the loader can't lift the tractor doesn't mean a lot, some loader designs do not have enough force to do that, but enough that curl will do it.

And last would be a worn out pump, with it's age and hours it's possible that that is the case, but it requires some expensive equipment to properly test for such a loss, so leave this as the last resort.

CallMeChaz

Equipment
looking
Oct 5, 2019
South Pittsburg, TN
Thanks for the response, guys. I watched some videos on this tractor/loader. The lift is definitely slow on the one I'm looking to buy compared to the videos. Also, the loader in the vids will lift the front of the tractor with no effort.

If my research is correct, there is nothing I can't fix for a few hundred bucks. Looks like there are lots of used and aftermarket pumps out there. I assume any generic loader valve will work, if that's the issue. And cylinders are easy enough to rebuild or replace.

If I can get the rig for $3500, I should be able to keep it under $4000 after getting the loader working better.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Do you know which loader model you have? And is it powered by the tractor's hydraulic pump or is there a secondary pump driven off the engine's front PTO shaft?