Looking at DOWN sizing

AaronFarr

Equipment
kioti ck3710
Nov 15, 2019
New Zealand
Good Day All just wanting some opinions or advice. I have a 37 HP orange tractor starting with K, its been great cleaned up our 5 acres, spread topsoil around new house build, moved all the gravel for a new pool build. Essentially all the big work has been done. I have been offered a BX 1880 with 100 hours on it for a pretty good price $15,000 NZD. I gues my concerns are will 18hp be enough for a 5 acre block, I need to run a mower/slasher 1.5 metre and harrow paddocks. Maybe put a bucket on it to mulch for gardens, top dress lawns etc. Anyone with a BX 1880 or experience with smaller unit care to give some feedback?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
That's a hard choice, I would not downsize, I would keep your current tractor even if I was moving to 2 acres. You are talking about a 5' rear brush cutter, I would say ideally you need at least 25 PTO HP to run that cutter. As far as harrowing paddocks, if what you have works now, why give it up.

I personally consider 25 HP at the PTO as a minimum for tractor use. Moving to a smaller machine likely involves changing many of your attachments.

Unless I'm missing something, I would stay with your current machine. You may not currently have a Kabota orange machine but if it runs well why change.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Good Day All just wanting some opinions or advice. I have a 37 HP orange tractor starting with K, its been great cleaned up our 5 acres, spread topsoil around new house build, moved all the gravel for a new pool build. Essentially all the big work has been done. I have been offered a BX 1880 with 100 hours on it for a pretty good price $15,000 NZD. I gues my concerns are will 18hp be enough for a 5 acre block, I need to run a mower/slasher 1.5 metre and harrow paddocks. Maybe put a bucket on it to mulch for gardens, top dress lawns etc. Anyone with a BX 1880 or experience with smaller unit care to give some feedback?
Wow 37 hp. tractor seems a bit big for 5 acres? Something like a B series or a BX 25. But you right to ask someone that has one! That price seems high look at this site...Used start at $9k and new at 19k and up. Good luck and hunting?

1674851773154.png

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
That's a reasonable price for NZ. But a BX1880 isn't really big enough for 5 acres in my opinion, and won't have enough HP to run PTO implements well.

I had a BX2350, I traded up to a B2601. Unfortunately B2601s are pretty thin on the ground in NZ. I would have though an BX1880 was a rare machine too, I see a lot more BX2380s around.

Questions:
1. You say maybe put a bucket on it. Does it not have a FEL? If so, it's over priced. My BX2350 came without a loader, I added the loader. It cost a lot - about $6K I think. You're getting close to new price with a loader. It's very much a compromise machine for your tasks, I'd only make that compromise if it was a great price. Without a loader that's not a great price.

2. A BX doesn't have a lot of traction. Pulling a harrow isn't incredibly demanding, but may still be beyond a BX, depending on size. Any other ground engaging work would be a problem.

3. 18HP isn't a lot to swing a rotary cutter, and a BX can't lift a very large rotary cutter. The 3ph on them is quite compromised - it's good for a small tractor, but the B lifts nearly double as much

4. A BX is quite a slow machine - 2 speed gearbox. 5 acres isn't huge, but the extra time to get from place to place will matter.

If it were me, I'd keep what you have. I'm assuming a Kioti - Dad had a big Kioti and it was a perfectly fine machine. You're giving up a lot going from a 37hp Kioti to an 18hp Kubota. Is it a CK3710? That's a good looking machine, and not too big for 5 acres. Do you need to mow? That's the only thing I can see that a BX would do better than a CK3710. You might get a bit of money back trading down, but probably not as much as you'd hope.

Reactions: 2 users

AaronFarr

Equipment
kioti ck3710
Nov 15, 2019
New Zealand
That's a reasonable price for NZ. But a BX1880 isn't really big enough for 5 acres in my opinion, and won't have enough HP to run PTO implements well.

I had a BX2350, I traded up to a B2601. Unfortunately B2601s are pretty thin on the ground in NZ. I would have though an BX1880 was a rare machine too, I see a lot more BX2380s around.

Questions:
1. You say maybe put a bucket on it. Does it not have a FEL? If so, it's over priced. My BX2350 came without a loader, I added the loader. It cost a lot - about $6K I think. You're getting close to new price with a loader. It's very much a compromise machine for your tasks, I'd only make that compromise if it was a great price. Without a loader that's not a great price.

2. A BX doesn't have a lot of traction. Pulling a harrow isn't incredibly demanding, but may still be beyond a BX, depending on size. Any other ground engaging work would be a problem.

3. 18HP isn't a lot to swing a rotary cutter, and a BX can't lift a very large rotary cutter. The 3ph on them is quite compromised - it's good for a small tractor, but the B lifts nearly double as much

4. A BX is quite a slow machine - 2 speed gearbox. 5 acres isn't huge, but the extra time to get from place to place will matter.

If it were me, I'd keep what you have. I'm assuming a Kioti - Dad had a big Kioti and it was a perfectly fine machine. You're giving up a lot going from a 37hp Kioti to an 18hp Kubota. Is it a CK3710? That's a good looking machine, and not too big for 5 acres. Do you need to mow? That's the only thing I can see that a BX would do better than a CK3710. You might get a bit of money back trading down, but probably not as much as you'd hope.
Hi thanks for your input, yes Kioti CK3710 that I bought new in 2020 and has done everything I could possibly want on 5 acres. Came standard with 4 in 1 FEL and I think I would miss that too much. The bx1880 has a mid mount mower but no FEL and 104 hours on it. Looking at Norwoods where there is brand new one for $16,000 (no mower) has made me reconsider whether $15k is actually a good price, not to mention the drop in HP. Think I'll stick with the CK37 its havent had a single problem or complaint.

Reactions: 5 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hi thanks for your input, yes Kioti CK3710 that I bought new in 2020 and has done everything I could possibly want on 5 acres. Came standard with 4 in 1 FEL and I think I would miss that too much. The bx1880 has a mid mount mower but no FEL and 104 hours on it. Looking at Norwoods where there is brand new one for $16,000 (no mower) has made me reconsider whether $15k is actually a good price, not to mention the drop in HP. Think I'll stick with the CK37 its havent had a single problem or complaint.
Agree completely. It's not too big for 5 acres, and the BX is arguably too small. I'd rather have a tractor at the top end than the bottom end of my needs. Only thing is if you were planning to mow, but the CK37 will pull a RFM quite happily. Or you could pull a 6 foot offset flail. That'd top the paddocks instead of a rotary cutter, and still do a fine enough job on the house section. Plus you could mow roadsides with it - offset.

You might even be able to go up a size if you run it slowly - means you can still cut a lot quickly without beating your back up over bumps.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't know what too big means. It depends a lot on the property. 5 cleared flat acres is a lot different that slightly sloping and wooded or hilly and wooded.

Also, what if you upsize your property? If you have trees on your property, the BX will be very limiting. Finally, it sounds like your current tractor works well with no durability issues.

I'd keep the CK37.

This YouTube was just published today and talks about some of the advantages/disadvantages of smaller. Maybe it will be helpful.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
IMHO 18HP is suitable to mowing lawns around the house and the loader and bucket is a good wheelbarrow substitute. For mowing 5 acres I'd get a ZTR or stick with your 37HP machine. 37HP is too small for running a slasher unless you enjoy mowing so much you want to do it all day long.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I think before deciding to downsize, maybe also think about the differential in lift capability / ability to safely move stuff…IMO there is much bigger spread in lift/move stuff capability of the models that you are thinking than the difference in the PTO capabilty. Maybe also consider the change in operator station size and controls…Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Last edited:

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I own a BX2380 (slightly bigger brother to the BX1880) and I love it.....but....no way I would want the reduced
features and HP of the '1880......especially w/o a FEL included for that price.

In my case, I wanted "small" to fit in the garage (it's miniscule)_ and up walkways with the 48" snowblower (a problem you don't have in NZ) and in between cars in the driveway.

I like the tilt wheel, better seat(?), bigger front tires (ground clearance), more PTO HP etc of the 2380

Things you may wish to consider.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I have your situation but of the 5 acres only 2 are not wooded and I can mow them. I had a green 40hp with FEL, 6 ft snowblower, cab, and backhoe. It was too big! I did downsize to a BX1870 with FEL, front snowblower, 48” mid mower, weight box, and loaded rear tires and so far have been happy. My “old” tractor was a 2004 machine. Part of what made me happy was the $15,000 I put in my savings account after the downsize. It was possible because I had subdued the property and the big jobs were done. No more logging or use for a rotary cutter. BTW I paid $10,500 USD for the BX1870 with FEL, snowblower, and counter weight box, a pair of loader forks, and it had only 85 hours on it. The mower was $350 and I bought a 60” back blade used but as new for another $350. If I decide I need to go bigger I can sell this tractor and find a low hour B2601 and keep the back blade, loader forks, and weight box. I have some cash to play with.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I think you are wrong. EVERYONE on these tractor forums ALWAYS say you can never have too big a tractor or too much power.
Never mind the BX. I think you now need an M8.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user