Looking at buying a FEL/Backhoe

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Good evening folks.

My wife and I are going to be building a 40'x52'x14' workshop/garage on our property. Originally, I planned on renting a backhoe for a couple of months to handle the work, especially ~800 cubic yards of fill that I'll need for the driveway to the new shop. However, I hate the idea of wasting $4k on a rental. And even more than that, I hate being under a time crunch to get the workshop finished in a time frame on equipment rentals.

We're on 8 acres and there are a lot of tasks that the backhoe would have handled. Moving dirt around to build up berms on a shooting range, trenching for house drainage, burying a propane tank, making flat space in the back yard for a patio, digging up walkways to install proper stone walkways from rocks removed from the property, tree removal, etc.

I have a lot of ideas in mind.

So today I had the idea to look into actually buying a backhoe/FEL and possibly sell it once I'm finished with it.

I've been searching online all day, and I visited two dealers today after that search. One was obviously a Kubota dealer. The other Kioti.

I think I've decided that the Kubota L3301DT is the budget and tractor I'm after, with the LA525FL loader and BH77 backhoe.

I have a few questions:

1) I've searched and searched... does the BH77 mount to the subframe of the tractor or is only a 3 point attachment?
2) Does the skid steer type quick attach bucket allow almost all skid steer attachments to be used? Could I use my neighbor's Bobcat auger, for example?
3) My local dealer also has a used L39 in stock... 1200 hours or so, roughly the same price as the 3301 I've been quoted, after factoring in the higher interest rate. Should I consider getting a TLB specific Kubota like that?

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll have a bright new Kubby in no time...

I can't believe I convinced my wife that we "need" this... :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I have a few questions:
1) I've searched and searched... does the BH77 mount to the subframe of the tractor or is only a 3 point attachment?
2) Does the skid steer type quick attach bucket allow almost all skid steer attachments to be used? Could I use my neighbor's Bobcat auger, for example?
3) My local dealer also has a used L39 in stock... 1200 hours or so, roughly the same price as the 3301 I've been quoted, after factoring in the higher interest rate. Should I consider getting a TLB specific Kubota like that?
1. I don't know; I'm sure one of the guys who has the BH will chime in. I'd be surprised if it was a 3PH attachment; the Kubota BHs I've seen mounted to the rear end or a subframe.
2. Yes and no... there are a few arrangements in QA systems, and several propitiatory ones. You will find several attachments that fit it, but there is no universal, and even though Bobcat uses Kubota diesel engines, I believe their QA attachments don't fit the Kubota QA plate.
3. As skeets prefaces such statements, "It's easy to spend someone else's money, but..." If I could, I would make that choice. I bought an older (1978) tractor with quite a few hours on it (~1200) and have since learned that it's just gotten broken in. The tractors last generations. Backhoes, on the other hand, seem to have the highest death rate. They have so many wear points, and I suspect that most of the ones I've read about being rebuilt did not receive proper service. 1200 hours is not worrisome for an L tractor, but for a BH, I'd look it over very carefully, particularly in those places where the problems are worst. (Sorry, I can't point them out, but you can easily find threads on rebuilding BHs in the forum.)

Hope that helps!

I can't believe I convinced my wife that we "need" this... :D
hmmm... makes me think of Dante's inscription over the gate of hell, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." I'm skeptical that the time will ever come to "sell it once I'm finished with it"

Good luck with that! :D

And best wishes on your purchase, and welcome to the family.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Maverick. Congrats on the new, almost, arrival.
I have last year's version, L3200, and there isn't much it can't do. I don't have the BH even though there were a couple of times that I could have used it. With the 0% it is hard to pass up only to get someone else's problems. As Shaun said there are a lot of SS things that will QA but there are always some that won't. I have some that did.
My wife now chides me that I waited so long to go Orange and tried to make it with a 21HP Garden tractor.

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
My wife now chides me that I waited so long to go Orange and tried to make it with a 21HP Garden tractor.
Oh, what horrible tormenting! :D:D:D

Reading between the lines, it seems that wives with such positive viewpoints are rare, even in OTT. Yours is a treasure, and I'm very happy to hear it. All the best!

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Yeah, my original plan was to purchase used so I didn't lose too much value. Seeing a used L39 at the local Kubota dealer really made me think it was possible.

Isn't the L39 only a backhoe/FEL? Someone mentioned to me that the backhoe cannot be removed from the L39. I have no doubt that the L39 would be better as a backhoe/FEL, but I do like the idea of being able to attach other accessories to an L3301 and get jobs done around the farm. And I REALLY like the idea of it opening up our home purchase options in the future. If I had a tractor like this it'd be hard to find something I couldn't fix around the house. I'll start to run out of excuses... :(

The price I've been given for the L3301DT (4WD) with LA525FL loader and BH77 backhoe is $27,450. +$600 for the 66" skid steer quick attach bucket.

The L39 asking price is $24,950. 1200 hours. Here's a picture of the L39:

Any advice on negotiations welcomed. I don't know how much flexibility they have with these types of things. I don't really want a "steal", just after a fair deal for both parties.

Last edited:

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
I have a BH77 on my B3300su and its definitely a subframe mount. Goes on and off very easily to allow for using three point attachments. List price is close to $9K for the BH77 and subframe. Mine's new and the weather has just gotten good enough to start using it, so I can't give it a review yet. I think once the operated gets zeroed in a bit, it will be very handy. :)

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
I dropped by New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra, and Kioti.

Still waiting on the numbers from New Holland and Massey Ferguson. But the local Mahindra dealer has a 3616 that he has quoted at close to the same numbers as the local Kubota dealer did for the L3301DT.

Looking at just numbers, the Mahindra 3616 is actually comparable to the L3901DT.

I'm really liking the Mahindra at the moment, although I haven't test driven both. Only problem is that the Mahindra will take 4 weeks to get the backhoe delivered.

If my local Kubota dealer could match the price of the Mahindra or come close to that price with an L3901DT I think I'd go Kubota for sure...

MartinTx

Equipment
L3301
Apr 14, 2015
Mansfield
Sir,

I bought the L3301 with the backhoe option. BH77 is what I have and I love it. I have only put 20 hours on it. I am on 20 acres here in Texas and I have several projects similar to yours. I have two bridges to build, a septic tank I might be installing, and more oak stumps than I want. This is my first tractor and I did not realize how expensive the backhoe is however I am completely satisfied with my choice. In addition I would recommend getting a box blade. That has helped out a great deal on my 500 foot gravel drive that has been neglected for almost 20 years. Good luck with your choice.

Martin
Texas

If you are interested this is how the backhoe is removed. I have done it once already. I was intimidated however after watching the video I was able to do it in about 10 minutes. I hear you get better with time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQz_9OuwJL8&list=PL0hnohblr3hvwcIfJb3eOgkc4bftPbliC&index=1

Attachments

Last edited:

CanuckPT

Equipment
2011 B3300 SU; BH77; Bro-Tek mechanical thumb & 2" rear spacers; LA504
Nov 6, 2012
West Chesterfield, NH
Great video - thanks for sharing. I have a B3300SU with a BH77. It took me 2 years to get the balls to take it off!! Finally had to because I bought a chipper!! I built a dolly for it. Takes some practice to get on & off but I'm getting more confident!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Even with the higher numbers and lower price from the Mahindra, I'm still leaning towards the L3301/L3901. I just feel better about the Kubota dealership as a whole, I won't have to wait 4-5 weeks for delivery of the Mahindra backhoe, and it's from a company I trust.

Now... I'll have to get quotes from other Kubota dealers in the area to see how they compare and strike a fair deal with one of 'em.

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Geez, the options never stop.

Went to another Kubota dealer today and they had an L3400HST with FEL and a B76 backhoe with only 75 hours on it...

After seeing prices for the L3301 and L3901 from multiple sources, the used L34000HST looks like an amazing option for me right now. They literally just got it in trade. It's still dirty.

Now I've got to figure out what to do... I'm feeling close to pulling the trigger as I also got quotes back from New Holland and Massey Ferguson today.

This L3400 has a reinforced edge on the loader bucket. Quick detach bucket. Fiberglass canopy. Mechanical thumb. Rubber pads on the stabilizer arms. R4 tires. And I probably missed something else...

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Geez, the options never stop.

Went to another Kubota dealer today and they had an L3400HST with FEL and a B76 backhoe with only 75 hours on it...

After seeing prices for the L3301 and L3901 from multiple sources, the used L34000HST looks like an amazing option for me right now. They literally just got it in trade. It's still dirty.

Now I've got to figure out what to do... I'm feeling close to pulling the trigger as I also got quotes back from New Holland and Massey Ferguson today.

This L3400 has a reinforced edge on the loader bucket. Quick detach bucket. Fiberglass canopy. Mechanical thumb. Rubber pads on the stabilizer arms. R4 tires. And I probably missed something else...
That sounds like a real deal to consider. Can't go wrong with orange!!

Doc

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Purchased the L3400!

Based on what I'd seen in the area for used machines, I couldn't pass this up. Asking price was $20k, I offered $19k and they took it. Financed with a 10% downpayment.

:D

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Nice purchase, that's probably a better deal for you, but had I been in your shoes I would've done the following...

--- edited older post---
I'd have avoided the L39 at that price. You can buy used a decade older for far less than that. At $24000 for a loader/hoe combo, I'd get a far larger CAT or Deere that was a little older with 2000 hours. You could flip it with 200 hours more on it for almost the same price and work the unit less hard and finish your jobs faster.

If you are serious about keeping the tractor, then buy it new as 0% interest talks very loudly and go for the L3901 with the BH77. It will last your property for it's lifetime and will do just about anything you ask of it.

I wouldn't try to flip a new tractor, you can't get the money back out of it for at least 5 years. The 0% works against you at that point.

Last edited:

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Nice purchase, that's probably a better deal for you, but had I been in your shoes I would've done the following...

--- edited older post---
I'd have avoided the L39 at that price. You can buy used a decade older for far less than that. At $24000 for a loader/hoe combo, I'd get a far larger CAT or Deere that was a little older with 2000 hours. You could flip it with 200 hours more on it for almost the same price and work the unit less hard and finish your jobs faster.

If you are serious about keeping the tractor, then buy it new as 0% interest talks very loudly and go for the L3901 with the BH77. It will last your property for it's lifetime and will do just about anything you ask of it.

I wouldn't try to flip a new tractor, you can't get the money back out of it for at least 5 years. The 0% works against you at that point.
Full disclosure:

I really wanted to make the new L3901DT work. I read some things about the transmission with the L3301DT that made me not so favorable about it for the loader work I want to do, which this tractor will have to do a lot of at the beginning.

I really, really wanted some of the options that were on the new L series. The HST was starting to be "a must" to me, the quick attach loader was something I really wanted, the mechanical thumb will come in real handy for a lot of the tree clearing I need to do, the canopy is great since I'm a ginger... I mean... without the canopy my skin would probably be the same color as the tractor at the end of the summer... :D

I really needed to keep payments around $400 a month. My wife and I just got married, I'm 29 and she's 25. Both engineers. Both have car payments that are nearing their end, and we've got this massive 40'x52' building coming our way. We both really balked at buying a tractor with a sticker price higher than both of our cars that we bought new.

The used tractor market I'd been watching in my area was very scarce. The two other tractors I looked at that were used were 30 HP rigs with no backhoe. After the backhoe additions the dealers were asking $24k for a well used tractor that wasn't even in the power numbers I was looking for and with a cheap-o backhoe. When I came across this L3400 that was already set up this way and at low hours, I really tried to keep my cool. And I did until the sales manager agreed to terms.

Knowing how the EPA works and how R&D tends to work... and owning a latest gen VW TDI diesel, I really wanted to make sure the tractor was going to be as durable as the Kubota name has proven to be. I feel like the L3400 has stood the test of time already with the early interim Gen IV engine that it's got, and I didn't really want to roll the dice on the L3901 or L3301.

As for the CAT/Case/etc backhoes, I considered doing that but it was very difficult to find one in my price range with financing that wasn't in very poor shape. Also, the risk of an expensive repair would have been looming to me. Since I try to work on all of my own equipment I prefer to buy something, learn something, and keep that thing around forever. I don't like selling things. I'm hoping this tractor purchase will put me in a position to have a piece of equipment strong enough to do the work I need it to do, and monetarily conservative enough to be able to afford to keep it around for the long haul.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on why I felt this was the best deal for my situation. The hope is that we can pay this off quickly so the interest rate doesn't hurt us much. I can't WAIT to get this thing tomorrow, and I can't believe I'll have to go to work as soon as it shows up. :(

Last edited:

CanuckPT

Equipment
2011 B3300 SU; BH77; Bro-Tek mechanical thumb & 2" rear spacers; LA504
Nov 6, 2012
West Chesterfield, NH
Nice dolly! Maybe should be called, "Mz Parton". I like that it has its own fuel system; does it use much when off the tractor?

Good one! The BH doubles as storage space too when it's in "Dolllywood"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk