Looking at B20/21 Tractor - Advice?

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
Hey guys,

I've found a real nice looking, garage kept B20 being sold from an estate. I currently have a B7200, and it's a great machine! I'm just looking for something bigger and I love the idea of having a backhoe. This would be a small farm tractor, and potentially used on side jobs through out the summer. Is the B20/21 a solid machine? 20hp seems a bit small, but then again I've been amazed at what my 17hp B7200 has been capable of. The one "issue" mentioned was the B20 has a leak from the center of the tractor, their guess at it was a hydro seal.

TIA

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
I was also wondering, what's the weight of this tractor? Tractor data says it weighs 2k lbs and and B21 is almost 4k.. doesn't sound right, unless it really is THAT much bigger. Also can the B20 take other attachments via 3PH? Can you add a thumb to the backhoe, or additional bucket implements? I like that the B20 Looks as though it's compact - yet powerful, I don't like the look/thought of the BXs with the tiny backhoes on them. Sorry for all the questions, thanks again.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Everything I have heard of those models are good - built like a tank.

More beefy than a typical BX2370 with a FEL and BH added or even a B series with the same.

More of an industrial machine. Probably online with a LX of todays tractors from a weight and work comparison.

How many hours on the meter?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would think 2000 lbs is a bit on the low side ! A Bx2380 weighs in at 1500 lb and not sure that includes the FEL!

Reactions: 1 user

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I have a B2620 that I purchased used with 30 hrs. I have been very happy with it. One issue is I do not think the BH had ever been off the tractor and was given the 3pt linkage in its original box. When I did remove the BH and put the 3pt linkage on, it fit but did not seem quite right, however it worked and in fact was able to pull a woods BB 60 with no issues but something did not seem correct. Well it turned out what I was given with the tractor was the 3pt linkage for a Bx.
Sooooo check the parts for the 3pt are correct and all parts are there.

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
Everything I have heard of those models are good - built like a tank.

More beefy than a typical BX2370 with a FEL and BH added or even a B series with the same.

More of an industrial machine. Probably online with a LX of todays tractors from a weight and work comparison.

How many hours on the meter?
It says 400 hours, must have rolled over at least once though. From the looks of the machine, it may only have 1400 hours on it. I'm sure the BXs are very capable, they just look too small. I've "overloaded" my B7200 many times (no rear ballast), so I definitely want something bigger - just not too big. Like I said, LOVE the idea of having a good sized BH. Would have paid for itself, with all the help I needed over the last summer.

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
I would think 2000 lbs is a bit on the low side ! A Bx2380 weighs in at 1500 lb and not sure that includes the FEL!
Yea, I've never seen a B20/21 in person.. but from what I've seen online they are a similar size. Maybe that weight was without the FEL/BH, I would think 3.5k+

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
I have a B2620 that I purchased used with 30 hrs. I have been very happy with it. One issue is I do not think the BH had ever been off the tractor and was given the 3pt linkage in its original box. When I did remove the BH and put the 3pt linkage on, it fit but did not seem quite right, however it worked and in fact was able to pull a woods BB 60 with no issues but something did not seem correct. Well it turned out what I was given with the tractor was the 3pt linkage for a Bx.
Sooooo check the parts for the 3pt are correct and all parts are there.
Good tip! With this particular machine, I don't think the BH has ever been off either. Seller doesn't have the linkages etc, so that would be an extra purchase. Honestly, the only thing I could see getting for the 3PH is maybe a york rake, trailer hitch, or ballast box. I use a JD lawn tractor with a bagger to mow with. I've had situations with my B7200 where a brush hog would have been a huge plus, kinda why I was wondering if it would be possible to run accessory hydraulics on a machine like a B20 - I got no experience with doing something like that.. assuming I would need a different hyd pump or something.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
"Seller doesn't have the linkages etc, so that would be an extra purchase."

Ready for sticker shock! The B2620 linkage package was $950 from Kubota.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is the price of the B20 that you are looking at?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Seems like a good price ! I would jump on it!

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
Seems like a good price ! I would jump on it!
I'm thinking I will if I can get my car sold in time! I'm also looking at L series tractors too. I've read somewhere before that you can't add extra hydraulics because there's no mid mounted PTO, is this true!? I figured they would run off the pump. I could see myself getting a brush hog, or maybe a plow, if possible. Although honestly, I feel that I can do just about anything I need with the BH/FEL combo.

When it has come to brush removal - the FEL on my 7200 has been enough to handle most of it.. I'm thinking a B20 would plow right through any of the thicker stuff my 7200 struggled with.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I'm also looking at L series tractors too. I've read somewhere before that you can't add extra hydraulics because there's no mid mounted PTO, is this true!?
Not true. Adding extra hydraulics has nothing to do with the mid PTO. A mid PTO is typically used for a Mid Mount Mower or a front mounted snow blower.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm thinking I will if I can get my car sold in time! I'm also looking at L series tractors too. I've read somewhere before that you can't add extra hydraulics because there's no mid mounted PTO, is this true!? I figured they would run off the pump. I could see myself getting a brush hog, or maybe a plow, if possible. Although honestly, I feel that I can do just about anything I need with the BH/FEL combo.

When it has come to brush removal - the FEL on my 7200 has been enough to handle most of it.. I'm thinking a B20 would plow right through any of the thicker stuff my 7200 struggled with.
If I recall correctly the FEL of the B20/B21 is not removable, or at least not easily removable. That makes it different from normal tractors. The B20/B21 is more of a dedicated construction machine, again if I remember right.

Again, it has been a while, but I remember reading the B21 excelled at what it was designed to do. Construction. As a TLB probably a great unit. As a general purpose tractor, maybe not as much.

Just a couple thoughts, that might be a bit off base, but pretty sure not so much...

Edit: AND if you price a backhoe for a general purpose tractor, you may see the B20 you are looking at is not more than about 50% more expensive than what a backhoe ALONE would add to a tractor price, and you get the complete unit plus the backhoe.

Reactions: 1 user

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
Not true. Adding extra hydraulics has nothing to do with the mid PTO. A mid PTO is typically used for a Mid Mount Mower or a front mounted snow blower.
That's exactly what I thought. And I could care less about having a belly mower. It would just get in the way for what I need the tractor for. A snowblower might be cool, but I've gotten pretty good at just using the bucket... Which reminds me, would a B20/21 have a "float" option for the loader. My current setup does not.

Work Horse

Equipment
B7200 HST 4x4
Jan 21, 2020
IPSWICH
If I recall correctly the FEL of the B20/B21 is not removable, or at least not easily removable. That makes it different from normal tractors. The B20/B21 is more of a dedicated construction machine, again if I remember right.

Again, it has been a while, but I remember reading the B21 excelled at what it was designed to do. Construction. As a TLB probably a great unit. As a general purpose tractor, maybe not as much.

Just a couple thoughts, that might be a bit off base, but pretty sure not so much...

Edit: AND if you price a backhoe for a general purpose tractor, you may see the B20 you are looking at is not more than about 50% more expensive than what a backhoe ALONE would add to a tractor price, and you get the complete unit plus the backhoe.
Thanks for the reply. I think the B20/21 will make a great tractor for me. I mainly use it for snow removal/grading a horse ring, and would likely use it on side projects - clearing land, digging trenches, etc.