Lookin' For New tractor 36 Acres (Open to Suggestion)

cooljoe00

Jan 21, 2017
Mullins, SC
I have a total of about 36 acres of land; 10 acres of ~4' tall bush land, 24 acres of woodland, and ~2 acres of roads.

Jobs To Do:
-Mow high brush and saplings ~2in
-maintain 2 roads (some areas are Gravel||Clay||Sand or combinations there of)
-cleanup land debris (hauling logs and branches)
-cleanup trash (light construction debris, concrete sidewalks left on property from fallen builds)***
-dig up septic line, dig footings, level land for new construction, and maintain ditches
-Move Large amounts of dirt/clay/sand

Things I'm looking for are Front loader, Backhoe, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Root Grapple at the least.
Later job would include, moving pallets, tilling, plowing, posthole digging, wood chipping and spiting.

I'am trying to keep total costs around $50,000; I looking for suggestions on a tractor capable of most if not all these task to some degree. Due to the kid in me I keep looking at really large HP tractors that are out of the budget. I don't want to go to small and end up stressing or breaking this tractor either.

*** if it cant do this I'll have to rent something later on, so this isn't critical.

KubotaVet

Equipment
1942 9N, B2650/Cab
Jan 16, 2017
Northern Minnesota
What springs to my mind is the Grand L60 Series tractors. I think that would be enough tractor for what you need and I think you can keep within your budget, with concessions.

One suggestion I would have is to rent (or hire out) a tracked backhoe for your digging work. The backhoes on these types of tractors aren't as efficient when it comes to digging things like foundations. A tracked backhoe will do the job nicely. Another reason to rent a backhoe is the cost, if you want to stay within your 50k budget a backhoe will run you 8k by itself. Personally I would rather spend my money on the Grand L6060 (biggest in class) tractor then buying a smaller tractor with a backhoe that I wont use nearly as much after my house is built. Sounds like your main need for this tractor will be FEL work and the Grand L6060 will be terrific in that role, in my opinion.

EDIT: I should ask what type of transmission you wanted? The Grand L offers you a HST transmission options where as the M Series mainly use Hydraulic Shuttle type (except for the M-MX line which do offer HST). Both transmissions have their positive & negatives aspects.

Last edited:

cooljoe00

Jan 21, 2017
Mullins, SC
HST is preferred; not required. I should have been more clear about the foundation stuff. The backhoe work is for randomly trying to locate two septic tank(not digging it out just locating for survey map) on the property, and digging a shallow footer for a garage. Yes, I could rent a backhoe. Unfortunately I don't know how long it will take to find them. There are other light weight backhoe tasks to be done too. Backhoe Rental for me is around $3000 for a month.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Cooljoe00, you mention you need to locate two septic tanks.

We purchased a home on 5 acres about 3 years ago...as is where is. I had no clue where the tank was. The folks who built the home, one was deceased the other in a nursing home and their son had not been in their house enough to know about it.

I was thinking just like you, better get my hoe and start digging to find it, so I'd know where to tell the pumper to dig when I need it cleaned out.

We rented the home to a family and after a year they has a sewer stoppage.

I called a man who cleans out main sewers, told him the line was real slow draining and I did not know where the septic tank was.

He came out and put a camera in the clean out in the basement. He could tell me what kind of line it was, where every bend was, how far it was from the wall. Eventually he came up to the clog of baby wipes. Pulled the camera out, and used his auger to clear the stoppage. Then put the camera back in the line and extended it until he could see the entrance to the tank. He then went outside with his locator and told me EXACTLY where the line entered the tank and at what elevation.

Total cost $250.

I'd hire someone with a camera to locate your tanks, not buy a backhoe to find them.

cooljoe00

Jan 21, 2017
Mullins, SC
Unfortunately for me I tried that, but found the pipe going to the tanks were made of a tar paper material called Orangeburg pipe. They have collapsed and the camera will not go down the pipe and it ended up costing ~$800. :(

Last edited: