Logs - How About This?

L4300DT

Equipment
L4300DT
Feb 1, 2015
Canada
I had one spot on my trail where the road slopes sideways and there was a ravine off that side, and if a big log slipped over it could well pull the tractor over sideways with the lift point high on the 3pt arms. If I had a heavy log behind, I'd just stop shortly before that point on the trail and hook to the lower fixed point and carry on. Most times I wouldn't be pulling anything that would be heavy enough to worry about, but it's something to think about.

B

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Just a question Stitch, what are you doing with all that cedar?

b0ned0me

Apr 16, 2013
Sweden
I use an old car hood I turned up. Maybe an old tire might work or a short piece of timber making a 'T' that will slide along the trail.
I think the store-bought version is a skid(ding) cone, skidding plate or log sled, there's umpteen versions around. Popular with ATV users and seems a lot less complicated and risky than hooking up tow chains all over the back of the tractor.

But if I was going to drag logs on a regular basis, I'd save up for one of those little ATV timber wagons. Even the basic no-frills ones can haul an amazing amount.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Newby does not sound like an amateur. Since the "chain on the rear blade" method may be awkward, at least that rear blade is likely to function to keep the tractor from fully doing a summer salt. If one looks at torque applied to rear axle by the engiine and then looks at the resisting torque, you can see pulling from any height above the axle tends to defeat the stability of the tractor against that "somersault" flip over backwards.

Why is there that ROP bar anyhow? To hopefully save the operator from a FATAL mistake when pulling stuff.

micomike

Equipment
B2400 HSD 48" Howse rotary cutter, 48" box scraper, log hitch, FEL
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester, PA. USA
I bought a 3 point attachment off e-bay for about $80. The type that are made for receiver hitch drawbar. Purchased 2 grab hooks and had them welded to top of frame. Just wrap chain around log, back up to it, drop hitch and hook chain to grab hook, pick end of log off ground and away you go. I have pulled some very large logs with my B2400 with no problems. You also have the option to use hitch for intended purpose to move trailers. It is cheap and very effective. Been using it for years. Just my humble suggestion.