Log skidding methods?

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Here are a few pics…I think you can put the simple story together. This is for our other place up north…I bring the logs/branches to the rack and cut when full…then palletize…if I need to split I split right there at rack and only palletize what goes into the stove. then store and bring to porch in fall with the forks. Replace as necessary.
Great thank you that looks like a great idea. The days where I can carry the bins of firewood into the house are numbered. the pallet idea looks great. I have to cut as close to 16" as possible without going over so having a rack makes good sense. nice looking place.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I don't believe anyone mentioned this, but it came up in a recent thread I had on pulling equipment, etc. Tree Work - Pulling Advice

I don't have one but a log arch can be useful per more knowledgable folks on arboristsite.com. I also have the BH & grapple and am only concerned with getting them to the trail/space also. Typically arches are used for longer distances to get to the processing area in instances where they don't have grapple forks etc. They can be homemade pretty economically as well. Also, a barrel/skidding sled as mentioned above is useful even for short distances.

FWIW - prior to the Kubota I used my jeep TJ like a mule in the woods a LOT and am still planning on a winch for it as dual-purpose tool.
thank you for the information
I used a Jeep pickup for clearing land and firewood when I first started and an old international scout 4 cyl after that. they outweigh a B and can do a lot of work. even pulled trees down with it. But once I got my first john deere B 2 lunger the international just pulled the trailer.:)

Not sure about the log arch I realize you can skid a tree out with it and that is useful but I dont mind cutting 8 or 12 ft lengths and then the grapple is king.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
thank you for the information
I used a Jeep pickup for clearing land and firewood when I first started and an old international scout 4 cyl after that. they outweigh a B and can do a lot of work. even pulled trees down with it. But once I got my first john deere B 2 lunger the international just pulled the trailer.:)

Not sure about the log arch I realize you can skid a tree out with it and that is useful but I dont mind cutting 8 or 12 ft lengths and then the grapple is king.
Agreed - tractor & grapple are my go-to's now ...my brother had the scout :cool:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Here are a few pics…I think you can put the simple story together. This is for our other place up north…I bring the logs/branches to the rack and cut when full…then palletize…if I need to split I split right there at rack and only palletize what goes into the stove. then store and bring to porch in fall with the forks. Replace as necessary.
Nice, Thanks. Is that a cabin ? Very nice indeed.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Nice, Thanks. Is that a cabin ? Very nice indeed.
It’s just a barn…under the roofline now is dry place for implements…barn with future residence and infrastructure in mind. We pay as we go. We are currently trying to develop the forest (state forestry program) and trying to set up hobby farm infrastructure for retirement (or world goes to hell…whichever comes first). Eventually, should we retire there, we will build a house and the barn there will become a small workshop / farm utility building.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
It’s just a barn…under the roofline now is dry place for implements…barn with future residence and infrastructure in mind. We pay as we go. We are currently trying to develop the forest (state forestry program) and trying to set up hobby farm infrastructure for retirement (or world goes to hell…whichever comes first). Eventually, should we retire there, we will build a house and the barn there will become a small workshop / farm utility building.
Very nice building. My wife wants a "she Shed " i cant let her see that picture. ;)

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The longer it’s been in place the more square footage I lose…good luck. I can’t complain…we’ll I shouldn’t complain…I can hunt all I want, have a barn two tractors and we go Fourwheeling together. I want the sympathy but I am pretty lucky.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Before feller bunchers and other mechanical harvesters became in general use, loggers would skid logs with cable chokers, not chains. The chokers grip the log better and slide over things better than chains.

Reactions: 1 user

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
For racking firewood, I'm using the IBC totes. I remove the plastic tank and modify the front of the tote so I can reach the floor easily. Lift it to good operating height and stack the firewood in it. I can then move the tote where ever we need the firewood. I bought eight of these from a local ag supplier for $20 each.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
For racking firewood, I'm using the IBC totes. I remove the plastic tank and modify the front of the tote so I can reach the floor easily. Lift it to good operating height and stack the firewood in it. I can then move the tote where ever we need the firewood. I bought eight of these from a local ag supplier for $20 each.
thats a great idea and deal.

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
Our ten acre of forest are quite dense and even with our tiny B5100, it can be difficult to get the logs out. I found the most time efficient means of handling trees was to cut them in 12'-20' lengths and drag the logs clear of the trees in low gear with a chain attached to a 10K ring bolted to the frame from the front, or onto the 3 point hitch adapter in the rear. If I set up the chain as a choker, I don't have any problems with it coming loose. Occasionally the end hits a rock or stump and I use a peavey to roll the log out of the way of the obstruction.

Once clear of the woods and safe from sudden stops, I can drag the logs in higher gears - 3-4 mph or so, so it doesn't take long. When I get the logs to the log pile, I mark them off in 4' lengths with the chain saw, and then lift them from one end using log tongs clipped to the chain so I can cut them from underneath, obviously starting at the end furthest from the tractor.

The only problem with this I need to sharpen the saw chain frequently as there's dirt and bits of rock in the bark. I also need to fell them in the right direction; this is harder with windfall :).

If I'm planning to mill the logs, I'll use the log arch I built to keep the logs clear of debris as much as possible. Usually this is cedar and quite soft, so treating the logs gently is important.

Logging is hard work, even w/ the tractor & chainsaw. I can manage about 2-3 80' trees a day w/o too much pain this way, depending on how tight the conditions are and thus how short I need to cut the logs.
PXL_20220417_232048853.jpg

IMG_20200823_132800.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Our ten acre of forest are quite dense and even with our tiny B5100, it can be difficult to get the logs out. I found the most time efficient means of handling trees was to cut them in 12'-20' lengths and drag the logs clear of the trees in low gear with a chain attached to a 10K ring bolted to the frame from the front, or onto the 3 point hitch adapter in the rear. If I set up the chain as a choker, I don't have any problems with it coming loose. Occasionally the end hits a rock or stump and I use a peavey to roll the log out of the way of the obstruction.

Once clear of the woods and safe from sudden stops, I can drag the logs in higher gears - 3-4 mph or so, so it doesn't take long. When I get the logs to the log pile, I mark them off in 4' lengths with the chain saw, and then lift them from one end using log tongs clipped to the chain so I can cut them from underneath, obviously starting at the end furthest from the tractor.

The only problem with this I need to sharpen the saw chain frequently as there's dirt and bits of rock in the bark. I also need to fell them in the right direction; this is harder with windfall :).

If I'm planning to mill the logs, I'll use the log arch I built to keep the logs clear of debris as much as possible. Usually this is cedar and quite soft, so treating the logs gently is important.

Logging is hard work, even w/ the tractor & chainsaw. I can manage about 2-3 80' trees a day w/o too much pain this way, depending on how tight the conditions are and thus how short I need to cut the logs. View attachment 78552

View attachment 78554
Logging is hard work, even w/ the tractor & chainsaw. I can manage about 2-3 80' trees a day w/o too much pain this way, depending on how tight the conditions are and thus how short I need to cut the logs.

Wow....Much respect to you. A lot of work for you and that little tractor !!

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio

Logging is hard work, even w/ the tractor & chainsaw. I can manage about 2-3 80' trees a day w/o too much pain this way, depending on how tight the conditions are and thus how short I need to cut the logs. View attachment 78552

View attachment 78554
Thats just may be Paradise on earth....Beautiful all around !!!! My trees seem like Sticks now.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
View attachment 78554

Thanks for posting Barts. Nice job on the log arch! One of the best home-built ones that I have seen.

Any chance of a better closer pic? :cool:

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
3pt skidding / logging winch like a Hudson or farmi or something would help sort of…however they would drag the logs and you will still have the previous problem… I demoed a Hudson and it was awesome in terms of pulling power, however it drug the log until you get it to the plate to lift up…then it drags the butt, unless maybe you had an arch. I think a log arch might help but would not be able to drag the log if unable to reach it. I try to drop tree so that I can grab from side with forks or grapple and then place in the wagon(avoid dragging where possible). When space doesn’t allow that then I chunk It up where it falls and then Haul with loader / wagon or atv / trailer…I try to reduce dragging for reasons you mentioned. If cold and snow I drag to convenient location. I have a log rack that I can fill with logs and then make repeated cuts quickly…that in itself helps speed things up but that involves hauling all the logs to the rag. However with my B and snow on ground I am limited in weight / traction. Personally I would not invest in a logging winch for the B. I think it would be safer and more bang for the buck on a larger tractor….(if I only had the b and process as much wood as you mentioned, then I would have a winch for the B-logging winch is awesome. so far I have failed to gain any sort of commitment for my wife to work more to pay for a winch for MX. I do use a portable winch from my FJ to control dropping trees from time to time, but I do not use that to drag the trees as mentioned above. I think a second machine either way would be helpful?
I made a Capstan winch setup designed after a commercial product. Works on the rear hydraulics. Easy to hook up on logs. I pull logs from 200 ft or much more using high strand multi strand rope. I pull around corners and right angles using pulleys. It can really reach out because you use rope instead of a predetermined amount of steel cable on a spool. Also handling rope is way easier than steel cable

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Has anyone mounted a winch on the front of the tractor? or somehow on the back `with the backhoe on, I am thinking the backhoe grapple and a winch all at the same time would let me clear brush, skid logs and carry the logs and brush to the respective piles. without changing implements.

I am clearing large blown down spruce trees and there are some that are pretty far from the trail. I am making trails and stacking saw logs, firewood logs and brush piles. I can easily see using all three implements in the same hour.

maybe a receiver hitch mounted on the backhoe or on the loader cross beam.

maybe just a chain from the backhoe bucket to the log and curl the bucket and arm would move 6 ft at a time

are there other methods I am not thinking of?

Attachments

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Got a lot of help from a fella named Chris Morse here on the math and type of hydraulic motor ide need, and the plumbing. Once I winch the log to the back of the tractor I chain them and lift the one end and off I go. I pull them up hills, thru swamp and lots of places I can't go with my tractor. And at really long distance.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Got a lot of help from a fella named Chris Morse here on the math and type of hydraulic motor ide need, and the plumbing. Once I winch the log to the back of the tractor I chain them and lift the one end and off I go. I pull them up hills, thru swamp and lots of places I can't go with my tractor. And at really long distance.
awesome thank you. My neighbour uses a hydraulic winch off of a lobster boat on his 19 hp Bolens tractor and logged off 100 acres with it.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

View attachment 78554
beautiful land and trees great arch and setup. thank you for sharing the pictures you are doing that with a 12 hp tractor wow