Log skidding methods?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
thank you that is exactly right, I am trying to find a new process with the new tractor. I have cut and skidded and many many (100's) cords of wood but I always did it with old farm tractors. I had a boom on an 8n that I used quite a bit. But mostly I chunked firewood and hauled it out on a wagon. skidding logs meant dirty logs and more chain sharpening, So having a new tractor with a grapple and bH I would like to take advantage of the technology and do less work than cut firewood into chunks and load a trailer. I am trying to optimize the technology to get more done with less effort as age is taking its toll.
3pt skidding / logging winch like a Hudson or farmi or something would help sort of…however they would drag the logs and you will still have the previous problem… I demoed a Hudson and it was awesome in terms of pulling power, however it drug the log until you get it to the plate to lift up…then it drags the butt, unless maybe you had an arch. I think a log arch might help but would not be able to drag the log if unable to reach it. I try to drop tree so that I can grab from side with forks or grapple and then place in the wagon(avoid dragging where possible). When space doesn’t allow that then I chunk It up where it falls and then Haul with loader / wagon or atv / trailer…I try to reduce dragging for reasons you mentioned. If cold and snow I drag to convenient location. I have a log rack that I can fill with logs and then make repeated cuts quickly…that in itself helps speed things up but that involves hauling all the logs to the rag. However with my B and snow on ground I am limited in weight / traction. Personally I would not invest in a logging winch for the B. I think it would be safer and more bang for the buck on a larger tractor….(if I only had the b and process as much wood as you mentioned, then I would have a winch for the B-logging winch is awesome. so far I have failed to gain any sort of commitment for my wife to work more to pay for a winch for MX. I do use a portable winch from my FJ to control dropping trees from time to time, but I do not use that to drag the trees as mentioned above. I think a second machine either way would be helpful?

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
3pt skidding / logging winch like a Hudson or farmi or something would help sort of…however they would drag the logs and you will still have the previous problem… I demoed a Hudson and it was awesome in terms of pulling power, however it drug the log until you get it to the plate to lift up…then it drags the butt, unless maybe you had an arch. I think a log arch might help but would not be able to drag the log if unable to reach it. I try to drop tree so that I can grab from side with forks or grapple and then place in the wagon(avoid dragging where possible). When space doesn’t allow that then I chunk It up where it falls and then Haul with loader / wagon or atv / trailer…I try to reduce dragging for reasons you mentioned. If cold and snow I drag to convenient location. I have a log rack that I can fill with logs and then make repeated cuts quickly…that in itself helps speed things up but that involves hauling all the logs to the rag. However with my B and snow on ground I am limited in weight / traction. Personally I would not invest in a logging winch for the B. I think it would be safer and more bang for the buck on a larger tractor….(if I only had the b and process as much wood as you mentioned, then I would have a winch for the B-logging winch is awesome. so far I have failed to gain any sort of commitment for my wife to work more to pay for a winch for MX. I do use a portable winch from my FJ to control dropping trees from time to time, but I do not use that to drag the trees as mentioned above. I think a second machine either way would be helpful?
thank you and thank you for the video GSD Keegan. I do not have that kind of wood to cut anymore. this year I would like to put up 8 cords of firewood and approx 5000 bd ft of saw logs after that I will be cutting 4 cords of firewood a year. I agree a winch will be overkill the cost cannot be justified by the work I have to do. oni your log rack do you load it with the grapple. that would be interesting if you can load logs with a grapple and cut them into a trailer.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
thank you and thank you for the video GSD Keegan. I do not have that kind of wood to cut anymore. this year I would like to put up 8 cords of firewood and approx 5000 bd ft of saw logs after that I will be cutting 4 cords of firewood a year. I agree a winch will be overkill the cost cannot be justified by the work I have to do. oni your log rack do you load it with the grapple. that would be interesting if you can load logs with a grapple and cut them into a trailer.
I’ve tried but it’s very hard for me to get the angle just right with grapple. It’s sort of easier I think with the forks as the logs roll off…its just a lot easier to roll the forks forward as you just jet the tip of forks where you want them if that makes sense. key is you want a slow roll or maybe they don’t sit the way you like them. If you have your fork just right you could lower them down in but when you back out I would be worried to knock the rack over. My rack is not fastened down. If you did as posts in the ground that would be the way to go. I wanted to be able to move mine though.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
How I get difficult ones out of woods to my cutting area. Then use fork or single to lift and prop and cut and split. Have a trailer to but would need to sit it then use tractor to haul back etc... This is same amout of time and keeps me busy.
20220318_134351.jpg
20220405_184837.jpg
20220409_152007.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I am trying to optimize the technology to get more done with less effort as age is taking its toll.
That was my reason I bought mine. Dont need back injury at my age. Wife tells me to act my age. I said I don't know how this is the first time I have been this old. :sneaky:

Reactions: 1 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I think I am going to eventually build a rack for firewood I want to take the work out of putting up firewood. I read someone uses the back hoe and thumb to hold the log and that makes sense and I will try that first. the only thing is I have a 16 inch bucket on the backhoe and the wood stove only takes a 16" log but I will experiment with it. thank you again for all the replies and help. I live on the bay of fundy so I have unlimited amounts of rope. thick rope, thin rope new rope old rope it shows up almost every day. right now there is about 500 feet of rope tangled up on the shore. I was going to buy some more chain or cable but I have so much rope so I tried it for skidding logs and it works pretty good and it is free. Ridelgt what kind of tree is in the last picture?

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I think I am going to eventually build a rack for firewood I want to take the work out of putting up firewood. I read someone uses the back hoe and thumb to hold the log and that makes sense and I will try that first. the only thing is I have a 16 inch bucket on the backhoe and the wood stove only takes a 16" log but I will experiment with it. thank you again for all the replies and help. I live on the bay of fundy so I have unlimited amounts of rope. thick rope, thin rope new rope old rope it shows up almost every day. right now there is about 500 feet of rope tangled up on the shore. I was going to buy some more chain or cable but I have so much rope so I tried it for skidding logs and it works pretty good and it is free. Ridelgt what kind of tree is in the last picture?
Locust, my property covered in them. A lot of black walnuts. Other logs were a dead pine.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
With my rack, it takes longer to load it and pick up the cut pieces than it does to doing the cutting…it’s quick and safe and there is not chance for the saw to hit the dirt. Or ally I throw any branches or small trees in and eventually when it is full it Huen cut it all in a couple minutes. Same thing if I do a whole day of wood….I keep filling with logs until full then cut all at once. The. Repeat. Very efficient / safe. Not only that but it encourages me to do a better job picking up the small branches….stuff I would have previously left in woods or burn piled. The. I put in some pallets and never handle them again. Hall to the porch on pallet with the forks. I pile them all in and cut to pre determined lengths. The one I have is at my property up north…sooner or later I will build one for my residence. It’s a huge time saver.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
With my rack, it takes longer to load it and pick up the cut pieces than it does to doing the cutting…it’s quick and safe and there is not chance for the saw to hit the dirt. Or ally I throw any branches or small trees in and eventually when it is full it Huen cut it all in a couple minutes. Same thing if I do a whole day of wood….I keep filling with logs until full then cut all at once. The. Repeat. Very efficient / safe. Not only that but it encourages me to do a better job picking up the small branches….stuff I would have previously left in woods or burn piled. The. I put in some pallets and never handle them again. Hall to the porch on pallet with the forks. I pile them all in and cut to pre determined lengths. The one I have is at my property up north…sooner or later I will build one for my residence. It’s a huge time saver.
You have pics by any chance ? Thats a grand idea.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Ther are on the site someplace. I recently got a new phone and lost a lot of picks. I’ll see if I can find something. If not I hope to visit other place beginning of may.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I really like the fork / pallet idea I dont have forks but am on the lookout. Here they are $1200 new I may end up with bucket forks but would really like to find some ssqa forks.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I really like the fork / pallet idea I dont have forks but am on the lookout. Here they are $1200 new I may end up with bucket forks but would really like to find some ssqa forks.
I have a pair…😂. One for the B which is Artillian, which actually I think are best quality of weld of any implement I have ever seen. Very well designed and quality of weld…that being said the reason I bought them is for their flexibility of the hoe bucket and the front hitch. I’ve hardly used either extra capability and I was too cheap to buy the guard…doh…I have a dented hood and deformed cheap grill guard from OEM…doh. The forks are great for the B and BX I had previously. I use pallet forks more than I do the MMM. Used weekly year round. With the MX (second property)I bought a real set from LP and they are awesome as well. I can unload a full pallet of whatever with Mx and the fork frame has a step. More useful than you would think. I love them. For quality of engineering and weld integrity good luck beating artillian…for brute robustness I am happy with the LP. Forks are most versatile implement for my situation and use I would never sell either.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Forget the bucket forks get ssqa 2000lb adjustable 42" pallet forks. I've been logging for a few years with them and they're the most versatile attachment for logging work, and endless it seems other tasks, that there is, imho.
Neighbour has bucket forks on his 'bota. i found them practically useless compared to my "real" pallet forks.

Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Forget the bucket forks get ssqa 2000lb adjustable 42" pallet forks. I've been logging for a few years with them and they're the most versatile attachment for logging work, and endless it seems other tasks, that there is, imho.
Neighbour has bucket forks on his 'bota. i found them practically useless compared to my "real" pallet forks.
thanks I will keep looking for the ssqa and look at lands pride that is what my dealer carries.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
Ther are on the site someplace. I recently got a new phone and lost a lot of picks. I’ll see if I can find something. If not I hope to visit other place beginning of may.
Thanks....i handle ours way too much. Cut, split, stack. Rinse repeat.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I don't believe anyone mentioned this, but it came up in a recent thread I had on pulling equipment, etc. Tree Work - Pulling Advice

I don't have one but a log arch can be useful per more knowledgable folks on arboristsite.com. I also have the BH & grapple and am only concerned with getting them to the trail/space also. Typically arches are used for longer distances to get to the processing area in instances where they don't have grapple forks etc. They can be homemade pretty economically as well. Also, a barrel/skidding sled as mentioned above is useful even for short distances.

FWIW - prior to the Kubota I used my jeep TJ like a mule in the woods a LOT and am still planning on a winch for it as dual-purpose tool.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Here are a few pics…I think you can put the simple story together. This is for our other place up north…I bring the logs/branches to the rack and cut when full…then palletize…if I need to split I split right there at rack and only palletize what goes into the stove. then store and bring to porch in fall with the forks. Replace as necessary.

Attachments

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Here are a few pics…I think you can put the simple story together. This is for our other place up north…I bring the logs/branches to the rack and cut when full…then palletize…if I need to split I split right there at rack and only palletize what goes into the stove. then store and bring to porch in fall with the forks. Replace as necessary.
Beautiful place :cool: