Locking Hitch Pin

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
I will never put another one of those hitch pins with a lock on any thing again. After several choice words and a hour later, I got it off. Might be ok for a truck that never sees mud water or make sure you spray some lube in it every now and then. Better to drill a hole in the pin and stick a Master Lock on it. It will be a lot easier to cut off.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've had to cut several of the locking hitch pins off from company trucks at work. They freeze up from dirt and mud. The ones at work have been replaced with regular pins. The hitch and pin get pulled when not in use and the hitches get locked in the truck or tool box.

Surprisingly I still have one in use on my Sierra that I purchased 12 years ago. Only issue I have is I can never remember which key is for the lock. It usually takes several tries to find the right key :rolleyes:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I agree with the padlock. Its enough to deter the honest criminal.
Sold a guy a hitch, pin and clip. Half hour later he was back,someone grabbed his new hitch.
Sold him a padlock instead of the clip.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I will never put another one of those hitch pins with a lock on any thing again. After several choice words and a hour later, I got it off. Might be ok for a truck that never sees mud water or make sure you spray some lube in it every now and then. Better to drill a hole in the pin and stick a Master Lock on it. It will be a lot easier to cut off.
I needed to get my pintle hitch off - heavy sucker, did not want anyone to "borrow" it - got one of those locking pins!!!

It has been sooooo long, I could not find the key and looked to cut it off......found the key finally - but still was a PITA to get off - rust and what not and just being there for 3-4 year made it tough to remove.

I like the idea of the lock on the end!;)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have a large grade 8 bolt with a couple washers and a Nylock nut on it. If someone walks around with a couple wrenches and spends the time to remove it, they can have it! Never had a missing hitch

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use pin locks on everything, never had a problem... but it's pretty dry out here, and I occasionally zap the locks with WD-40.