Loader valve freezing

lheward01

Equipment
B2150
Jun 13, 2013
Holly, MI
I have a b2150 with a LA350 loader. This is my first winter with the tractor and I noticed that when the temperature gets below freezing the valve freezes and prevents the bucket from lifting. If I let the tractor run at a high idle for 45 min or so it "thaws" out and starts working. Also there is no detent for the float option. This has been like this since I owned the tractor. I was considering taking the valve apart to dry it out but I am not sure of how big of can of worms I am opening. I figured since I was in there I would fix the float/detent issues also. The seal kit I found for the valve is about $110 and a detent kit is about another $310. This seems expensive, just wondering if I need both of these kits in order to fix it or if there is typical o-ring seals that can be purchased locally at a auto parts store? This will be my first venture into a hydraulic valve.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For the prices your talking about you can by a new valve and save the abuse of rebuilding it, I bet your valve is the 2 lever model where you could upgrade to the single handle model. ;)

lheward01

Equipment
B2150
Jun 13, 2013
Holly, MI
Thank you, the only one I found new was $1600. I have only one lever to operate the bucket in all directions so I am not sure what you are referring to as the 2 lever model.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Before you spend a penny, take a metric allen wrench and pull the caps off the bottom of your loader control valves. They're almost definitely filled with water and causing your issue. The detent balls are down there as well and might be rusted and/or the springs have failed. You're likely looking at a few dollar fix, not rebuilding anything. Drill some 1/4" holes to prevent it from happening again, spray some WD40 or silicone up in there and call it a day.

If the loader doesn't drift down and doesn't leak fluid, DON'T TAKE THE VALVE BODY APART :)

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Happy to help. Spray WD40 or silicone up in there, and remember to drill out a hole in the bottom of the cap so it doesn't happen again!